• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Who goes to [Florida]?

pepperpot

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a unit in [Florida] that we want to rent out. Does anyone know how to reach the people that travel to [Florida.] The idea is to recover our maintenance fees so there is not much left to pay for advertising. It is already advertised on TUG. What we are looking for are specific local newsletters where we can post our ad for free. For example we have a realtor in our area that sends out a monthly newsletter. He lets people advertise for free.

[TUG rules prohibit posting rental info. in the forums.-DeniseM Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Please see the article posted at the top of the board entitled "How to Rent your Timeshare" and also the list of websites used by Tuggers - "Frequently mentioned resale and rental websites."

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Free Advertising.

Does anyone know how to reach the people that travel to [Florida.]
We advertise our timeshare(s) for rent at Craig's List & Timeshare Vacation Rentals Dot Com.

We have also used the free classifieds section of WTOP-FM's radio station web site -- & it wouldn't surprise me 1 bit if there were lots more radio & TV stations dotted across the USA & Canada that also offer free classified ads.

Don't forget the supermarket & community center bulletin boards right in your own area.

We like traveling to Florida, but we either stay in our own timeshare(s) or in other people's timeshares via exchange or Last Call.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last week I posted an ad on www.redweek.com for Week 8 (February) in Ft. Lauderdale. I rented it within 48 hours.

It's not free to advertise on RedWeek but they have 1,000,000 members. The website is well known to many people who rent weeks, rather than own. It has been widely recommended in newspapers around the country. In fact I've rented twice to a reporter who became aware of the site when a colleague wrote an article for the Los Angeles Times about the advantages of renting timeshares instead of staying in a hotel.

Since you are new to renting, be very cautious about using Craig's List . There are a lot of scam artists using the info there.

Good luck!

Amy

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not free to advertise on RedWeek but they have 1,000,000 members.

Just to clarify, they claim to have over 1 Mil. "registered users," which would/should include folks like me who only have a registered free "guest" account. I wonder how many of that figure consist of dues paying members? I am not yet willing to pay the $10 membership fee just to contact owners with questions when there are so many other online ad sites where I can contact owners for free. Obviously, as Jennie has attested, there are renters who are willing to pay this fee. I'm just doubtful redweek has anything near the 1 Mil mark when one considers only dues paying members, the only ones allowed to contact owners.

frenchieinme

TUG Member
Reaction score
renting has always been...

Whether or not a timeshare week gets rented is much influenced by the demand of the week you have to rent and its location. Renting a week on Cape Cod in the middle of winter has less demand than one for the prime months of July and August. Hence, depending on for what week your FL week is for rent and where it is located will play a large part in nwhether it gets rented or not.

You are not the only one who wishes to rent available unused weeks to help defray the cost of maint fees & taxes. Every little bit helps as they say.

Whatever you do, don't fall into the notorious scam of paying someone (anyone) upfront fees (or whatever they may want to call them as they are still $$$ paid in advance of producing results) in order to rent your week.

Places where people have been known to rent timeshares with varying results are redweek, myresortnetwork, here on Tug, etc... I am sure more will be forthcoming.

You can do an archive search for more results.

frenchieinme :hi:

vkhome

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have a week that coincides with school vacation breaks, put up fliers in the school's staff lounge bulletin board. I have successfully rented my TS that way and now have repeaters for the past 5 years. You might also put an ad in the school newsletter or paper, if permitted.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My ads on Redweek have been very successful for me, in spite of the requirement for visitors to pay a fee to contact renters. I did submit my comments that we would surely get more hits if the contact process were free, though I'm sure they are laughing about that since it has obviously been a positive experience for me as it stands.