• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Who do you think should replace Alex Trebek when he retires?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone can really replace Alex Trebek when he decides to leave, but does anyone have some suggestions as to who may be a good candidate for this position ? Hopefully Alex will be around for a long time before anyone needs to be considered,,,,!

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think the three guys who will compete in the champions tournament starting next week are auditioning. Alex Trebek rocks! He has had a long career on several tv game shows...and a few great guest appearances on the "X-Files".:alien:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Whether he continues or goes, it should be HIS choice. He's 79! He can certainly afford to retire. It's good that his fans and admirers have had the opportunity to show him their love and appreciation before he goes.

As to who should replace the irreplaceable. I don't know. Maybe James Holzhauer or Ken Jennings or Austin Rogers?

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I think Ken Jennings would be a good choice, but he'd need training, since he's a bit too "Aw Shucks" to carry the program right now. Brad Rutter would be better - he's faster, and more personable, but he's a smart aleck. James Holzhauer is way smart, but much too smug to be a game show host. They're three brilliant game players, but announcing and hosting a show like Jeopardy requires a certain degree of finesse. The host has to have an air of smarts, combined with a certain sense of urgency. I have no idea who could do it. Let's hope it's not Steve Harvey - with his screwups at the beauty pageants, he'd be a mess by the end of the first show. ;)

Wait - if Wink Martindale and Pat Sajak had a love child... :D

Dave

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
DW = Brad Pitt.
Me = Jennifer Lawrence

No? Okay, seriously... Al Michaels, NBC Sportscaster

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I’ll do it

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
John Hodgman.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
An unknown. There are plenty of talented people out there. Let them bring their persona to the table without preconceived expectations from the public.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine sitting around a conference table with the producers of Jeopardy trying to make this choice. However, perhaps we can put to rest any thoughts of one of the former contestants
taking over.

"It has to do with contestant eligibility. If anyone with ties to a great number of former contestants, or hopeful contestants, became the host of the show, a large number of people
wouldn’t be eligible to take part! As an example, if Buzzy became host, a bunch of the greats wouldn’t be able to ever come back for super-tournaments! And that wouldn’t be much good for the show overall."

There seems to be a couple names that "sources" keep mentioning.

"... and show sources have indicated that they may be looking specifically for a woman and/or a person of color to replace Trebek. Whoever it is would have to be somebody whip-smart, though. Even with the answers in front of the host, it's hard work reading all those complex clues with minimal mistakes. Some possible candidates who fit some or all of the criteria suggested include Gayle King, former Power Players tournament contestant Laura Logan, or Ann Curry."

"More seriously though, his list of possible replacements include Turner Class Movies host Ben Mankiewicz, CNN's Laura Coates and Los Angeles Kings announcer Alex Faust."

"In 2018, the host gave TMZ's Harvey Levin the names of two people he thought would be great for the gig. The first? LA Kings' hockey announcer, Alex Faust — an unsurprising choice if you remember Trebek's hockey-loving, Canadian roots. And for his part, the 28-year-old already has experience stepping into an iconic role since he took over the announcer job from Hall of Fame broadcaster Bob Miller. Trebek also said that he thought CNN legal analyst Laura Coates would be a good fit to stand behind the podium as well. In addition to appearing on CNN, Coates also hosts a Sirius XM show."

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe a female would be a good choice

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
An unknown. There are plenty of talented people out there. Let them bring their persona to the table without preconceived expectations from the public.

Yes to this. I've enjoyed a lot of movies for exactly this reason - unknown actors / actresses with little (or no) previous roles such they are not typecast.

Maybe a female would be a good choice

Why? Give me the best person (most qualified, most engaging, delightful person) for the role as host - gender is not relevant here.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes to this. I've enjoyed a lot of movies for exactly this reason - unknown actors / actresses with little (or no) previous roles such they are not typecast.

Why? Give me the best person (most qualified, most engaging, delightful person) for the role as host - gender is not relevant here.
Yes but only one person has named a female, so apparently most think only a man could handle it

Last edited:

Glenn2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort (2)
Suites at Fisherman's Wharf
I vote for someone like Drew Carey or even Jerry Seinfeld. Someone who could add some humor.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Two of my favorite podcast hosts would be great for the job - Martine Powers (of the Washington Post) and Sam Sanders (of NPR).

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Jim Parker or Neil Patrick Harris.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Martin Sheen, anyone?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Mike Rowe (from Dirty Jobs) would make a good host. He appears to be bright, very fast on his feet, and knows how to play to the camera.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I realize this is just a topic for conversation, but the man is fighting a very serious, life threatening situation, and will be on his second round of chemo, if he hasn’t started already. Personally I just try to send positive thoughts, but with stage 4 pancreatic cancer, the outlook is not too good.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
John George O'Hurley Jr. aka J. Peterman from Seinfeld fame would make a good choice IMHO