• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Whining about car rental costs

Reaction score
I see it as car rental companies didn't buy the usual numbers of cars, so the demand skyrocketed with more people taking long-delayed vacations. As a result, you won't get the car you want or you may pay far more. COSTCO may save you some, but will the car be guaranteed when you land?

Until later this year when supply meets demand again, consider using LYFT. Yeah, there may be a delay in getting a ride, but if you're at an Orlando or Daytona Beach timeshare and you need to go somewhere, you can schedule a ride, the driver will be there when you need them. The only change is the front seat is not usable, so if you order a sedan, it seats 3. A 3-row SUV seats 5-6. If you want to visit Disney World and have a toddler, bring your child seat and install it, removing it when you get there. Or, skip Disney/Universal/Sea World until you can get a rental car. Right now, LYFT and UBER have seen a significant increase in demand, while many drivers have quit, due to the Pandemic, so you should schedule. If you simply open the app and request a ride, you may have to wait an hour.

Personally, I am going back out and will work Saturdays in the Daytona Beach-Orlando-Lakeland areas, the demand means drivers are raking in the dough. Rideshare drivers may be making more $$$ than I do at my current job (driving a semi delivering bulk Orange Juice around the state), but unlike them, I get full low-deductible health insurance for $60/week. Essentially, wherever you are traveling this year, skip the rental car and use rideshare. Just remember to rate *AND* tip the driver!

TS

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Those areas are really under-served from a rideshare standpoint anyway, even pre-COVID. I've always seen "surge pricing" applied when trying to use them in the Orlando area. At $60/RT to one of the parks you're better off renting a car.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I am a tax preparer, I have yet to prepare a return for a rideshare driver that is “raking in the dough”. The only ones raking it in are Uber and Lyft itself with all the fees they charge the drivers and provide no benefits.

The drivers are exchanging butt time in the drivers seat and wear and tear on their cars for a salary. I sat with a guy that was putting in 60 hr weeks with a new car he purchased, he put on 60k miles in a year. After we deducted all his expenses he was clearing about $5 an hour.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Those areas are really under-served from a rideshare standpoint anyway, even pre-COVID. I've always seen "surge pricing" applied when trying to use them in the Orlando area. At $60/RT to one of the parks you're better off renting a car.
Not when the cheapest rental car is $300/day, as it has been at times lately.

Kurt

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a tax preparer, I have yet to prepare a return for a rideshare driver that is “raking in the dough”. The only ones raking it in are Uber and Lyft itself with all the fees they charge the drivers and provide no benefits.

The drivers are exchanging butt time in the drivers seat and wear and tear on their cars for a salary. I sat with a guy that was putting in 60 hr weeks with a new car he purchased, he put on 60k miles in a year. After we deducted all his expenses he was clearing about $5 an hour.

Hopefully he is doing it voluntarily.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We are paying over $100 per day on the Big Island 6/26-7/10. I was willing to Lyft or Uber to the Waikoloa Resort area to try for a rental car there. No savings at all. I would hate to cancel a trip because of the cost of a car rental.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The high rental car prices in Hawaii had us look at Turo. This is something I had never considered but because it is less than half the price of Avis we decided to try Turo out. Our rental is a 4 door 2017 Chevy Sonic costing about $42 a day. The price includes the full Turo insurance package that includes everything.

Bill

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
If this thread had been authored by Doug and Wendy, we could really have some fun....

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I checked Turo, and it's still basically $100 per day for even a 2011 car.

Rick and I may have to bite the bullet and actually pay through the nose for the car rental. I cannot cancel our trip.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I checked Turo, and it's still basically $100 per day for even a 2011 car.

Rick and I may have to bite the bullet and actually pay through the nose for the car rental. I cannot cancel our trip.

What Island ? Some people are renting their cars on craigslist.

Bill

Reaction score
When I said "raking in the dough", Florida drivers who are doing it full-time are making $1000+ per week. That is Gross, that does not include expenditures like gasoline and usual car expenses like cleaning, payments and insurance. It's pretty much constant work, they clock in, they get a passenger, they drop that person off, they go to the next one, all the way to the end of their day. Most drivers I know do not have to wait for a passenger, although sometimes they must drive clear across town (30-ish minutes).

So, you can either pay $250+ per day for a rental, or pay a lot less for a LYFT or UBER. Or TURO, where you rent someone's car.

TS

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Has anybody used Rent-a-Wreck (if they're even still around) or Florida Auto Exchange rental division, or No Frills Car Rental. Our DS is gathering info for his trip to Kissimmee next March and has found those names when searching for cheap car rentals.

~Diane

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hopefully he is doing it voluntarily.
Well - to me that's the deal. Nobody is forcing him to accept that pay. Nor is anybody creating a set schedule.

I always try to strike up a conversation with my Uber/Lyft drivers. The ones I seem to get always appreciate that they can work when the clock in when they want to and leave when they want to. So they fit it around their personal schedules, and they check in during the times when everything works best for them.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
The issue with rentals seems to be that during COVID, rental companies reduced their fleets to cut costs. Now that travel is ramping up, new cars are in short supply because of microchip shortages. Car companies are probably diverting chips to high profit models rather than fleet sales.

The chip shortage is due to the trade war with China.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anybody used Rent-a-Wreck (if they're even still around)....

I don't know if they are still around or not. I used to use them when my kids came home from college for a week. The price was right. The cars were crap but they served their purpose and the kids were happy to have wheels...

George

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I don't know if they are still around or not. I used to use them when my kids came home from college for a week. The price was right. The cars were crap but they served their purpose and the kids were happy to have wheels...

George

Yes, they seem to still be in business. Cheap Car Rental Deals | Rental Cars from Rent-A-Wreck | 30 Years of Great Cars, Great Service! - Rent-A-Wreck

We used them (in Ontario) in the '80s when I wrote off our car :eek: and we had to wait at least 6 weeks for a replacement. The amount that our vehicle insurance allotted us for a rental was only going to cover about 2 weeks. We got a very nice car that was only 3 years old that was a fraction of the cost of a car from one of the major rental car companies.

~Diane

ETA, It appears their Orlando location is permanently closed. :(

Last edited: