• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which wyndham do you prefer on kauai?

bccash63

TUG Member
Reaction score
1st time planning a vacation to Hawaii. I prefer Kauai for the hiking and scenery. Wyndham has availability at Bali Hai Villas and Ka'eo Kai. Any recommendations. just DD and I, she is 21.
thank-you, Dawn

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
What month did you plan on going?

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I would take Bali Hai over Ka'eo Kai for the pool and more modern resort.

WyndhamBarter

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also like Kauai Beach Villas for its more central location. In Lihue, only a 5 min drive
from the airport. But everything is pretty close on Kauai, of course.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Shearwater is my favorite, but Bali Hai has some really nice amenities, although no ocean view.

BillyBob444

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the ones in Princeville do not have AC. We just got back from Kauai last week and stayed at Kauai Beach Villas and they were great. We had AC thru out the whole place but some suites only have bedroom AC but they are changing them all over. Most places are easy to get to from Kauai Villas like Walmart and Costco etc and to go to the southern part of the Island. The traffic from Princeville to the south side is pretty bad and speeds average about 15 mph most of the day. Not too many places to get supplies in the northern section either so you better have what you need when you go up there

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
While we're on this subject, is there a preferred time of year to be either north or south? We stayed in Kapaa last year at Pono Kai on a combo rental and RCI exchange, that was in July. We chose Pono Kai because of the A/C situation with most of the Wyndhams (I didn't know that KBV had A/C, or maybe they've just recently been adding and updating it there). I'd love to be able to use our straight Wyndham points at some point - what months of the year are bearable without A/C on either side? And is the water on the Princeville side swimmable during the bearable months? We went up for a day trip and hit Sealodge Beach last July and loved it, I would want to stay in that area only if we could swim and snorkel on that side - I think the surf gets rough during winter, right???
Anyone know if the Princeville Wyndhams will ever get A/C?

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
We love the Ocean view and rooms at Shearwater. Bali Hai is nice .. great pools, a cool open architecture main checkin / rec building overlooking a pool and fountains and great landscaping but no direct ocean view.

A tour of the Napali coast from motor raft is an awesome experience while you are there.

I hear December is whale season and they can be seen from Shearwater.

Bob

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
We love the Ocean view and rooms at Shearwater. Bali Hai is nice .. great pools, a cool open architecture main checkin / rec building overlooking a pool and fountains and great landscaping but no direct ocean view.

A tour of the Napali coast from motor raft is an awesome experience while you are there.

I hear December is whale season and they can be seen from Shearwater.

Bob

We were there from November 16-December 5, 2019. Only a very few whales were starting to come in and we were told that you'd have to be really lucky to see one. If we'd been there later in the month more whales would've been in. My husband did the Napali coast tour two days before we left and they never saw one the entire day. His tour had to be cancelled and rescheduled because of the rain, wind and big waves for a couple of days. I highly recommend taking a real close look at the average rainfall chart below especially if you will be staying in a unit with no air conditioning.

1585371303061.png

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
I highly recommend taking a real close look at the average rainfall chart below especially if you will be staying in a unit with no air conditioning.
Good to know. We were there in early June a couple years ago after major flooding closed down some of the Napali hiking trails and canoeing .. it was generally sunny most of the time we were there and they setup temporary launch docs for the Napali boat tours. But some of our extended family decided to 'hike' down to Queen's Bath (I think its closed now). There was so much mud .. it was basically like mud wrestling all the way down the steep bank and back up again. They were covered head to toe.

Bob

Last edited: