• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which Week for Hybrid Purchase

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased points to enroll 7 of my weeks. The sales person indicated I can also buy a resale week as part of the same contract and that newly purchased resale week will be enrolled.

Effectively, they are counting the DP purchase towards a hybrid package and towards the requirement to enroll my post 2010 weeks.

So I am looking for a resale week to go with this purchase that will be $15,000 or less with a maintenance fee to DP points value that is .40 per point or less.

I came up with the below weeks as meeting the criteria:

Ocean Pointe 3BR Silver, $11,800- 4,225 DP Value, MF of $1,673 = .396 p/p
Grande Vista 3BR Platinum, $12,600- 3,775 DP Value, MF of $1,465 = .389 p/p

Any others that I should consider?

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions from the Marriott experts on the board?

TIA!

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I have to choose one, It will go with MGV. I do have one and it is a great trader. The week itself has a good value if you decide to sell it later. I think it will sell faster and for more then the silver OP. JMHO

Sam

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would take the lower MF per point if your intent is to trade the week for points every year. I do think that the Grande Vista is the best option of the two you picked. There are better MF/p options out there, but they are in places where the upfront purchase price would be much higher.

ETA: If for some reason you actually wanted to trade back in to Ocean Pointe silver, doing so with a Grande Vista week is pretty easy. Though not necessarily easy to get a 3BR unit.

Last edited:

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn't the Grande Vista 3BR Platinum worth 3,725 DP Value?

You're right, I just checked my account because I already have an enrolled on and it is 3,725. Thanks for pointing that out so it is .393 p/p

Last edited:

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I have to choose one, It will go with MGV. I do have one and it is a great trader. The week itself has a good value if you decide to sell it later. I think it will sell faster and for more then the silver OP. JMHO

Sam

Oh wow, really? I thought because it's Orlando it was the opposite. How much do the silver 3BR OP in the resale market go for?

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would take the lower MF per point if your intent is to trade the week for points every year. I do think that the Grande Vista is the best option of the two you picked. There are better MF/p options out there, but they are in places where the upfront purchase price would be much higher.

ETA: If for some reason you actually wanted to trade back in to Ocean Pointe silver, doing so with a Grande Vista week is pretty easy. Though not necessarily easy to get a 3BR unit.

What do you think of Barony beach Oceanside gold for 10,800, do value 3,225 for 1,190 maintenance , .369 p/p

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh wow, really? I thought because it's Orlando it was the opposite. How much do the silver 3BR OP in the resale market go for?

There is one gold on Redweek for $9750. I would use ebay for such a sale.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
There is one gold on Redweek for $9750. I would use ebay for such a sale.

The OP was hoping to enroll the week, so it must be purchased from Marriott Resales. Resales from Redweek or eBay would not be eligible for the offer.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
The OP was hoping to enroll the week, so it must be purchased from Marriott Resales. Resales from Redweek or eBay would not be eligible for the offer.

I thought he knew what the price is purchasing from Marriott resales but wanted to get a feedback of external resale value. Sorry.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I'm surprised that an Orlando TS would be preferred long term over a beachfront. Disney is great every ten years but the beach is superb. And if you want to trade into Orlando it's a walk in he park. JMHO

Brian

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
I'm surprised that an Orlando TS would be preferred long term over a beachfront. Disney is great every ten years but the beach is superb. And if you want to trade into Orlando it's a walk in he park. JMHO

Brian

I thought that with Florida Club you could reserve a "silver week" at the beach fairly easy as well and the Grande Vista maintenance fees are likely going to always be lower.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score

I thought that with Florida Club you could reserve a "silver week" at the beach fairly easy as well and the Grande Vista maintenance fees are likely going to always be lower.

Yes beachfront immediately sounds better than the Orlando BUT it's the Platinum (high demand family time) vs. Silver (great for flexible schedules) that turns my preference towards Orlando.

I have a friend with a 3 bd. Plat. GV who used the Florida Club for OP. Was able to get a 2 bd. & a studio, both oceanfront. Plat. dates too.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you think of Barony beach Oceanside gold for 10,800, do value 3,225 for 1,190 maintenance , .369 p/p

Dime a dozen.

Don't get me wrong, I love Gold season on HHI. But Barony is loved by Barony people and even they argue about room location allocation for the oceanside units.

You may even be able to trade the studio of the GV for a gold week at Barony.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the resorts/seasons for your other 7 weeks?

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the resorts/seasons for your other 7 weeks?

3BR grande vista platinum
3BR grande vista gold
2BR grande vista platinum
2BR ocean club oceanfront gold X2
1BR ocean club oceanview
3BR surf club gold

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dime a dozen.

Don't get me wrong, I love Gold season on HHI. But Barony is loved by Barony people and even they argue about room location allocation for the oceanside units.

You may even be able to trade the studio of the GV for a gold week at Barony.

Good to know. I didn't realize trading into gold season for barony isn't that difficult.

For this resale week purchase via Marriott, the main reason is to acquire more DP cheap and annual fees that would be less than trust maintenance fees. Ideally, a home week that I would also use and one with resale value that I won't take a bath on.

Logically, k think 3 BR grande vista, meets the requirements but I already have one so its not that exciting anymore :hysterical:

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought he knew what the price is purchasing from Marriott resales but wanted to get a feedback of external resale value. Sorry.

Yes, you're actually right. I wanted to compare resale prices via Marriott versus outside of Marriott. Ideally, I want to buy a resale via Marriott that were a few dollars more than what it went in the external market.

I had considered cypress harbor special when I was looking at less than 10,0000 range but those go for a 2,000 at most on eBay so paying 8,100 didn't make sense. For that price, I'll just pick up a mgv platinum for 8,900. At least those go for 5,000 and has more flexibility with lock off and Florida club

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all your advice.

Just when I finally decided which week to purchase, it turns out they can't count my 5000 point purchase towards a hybrid purchase to enroll the resale that I was going to buy via Marriott in addition to enrolling my 7 post 2010 resale weeks:(

So I decided to not go forward since the only reason I was buying the resale week was for points. If I want a resale week, I'd buy at a resort I go to regularly for a particular view for less than buying from Marriott. Thanks Marriott for saving me from spending another $12k!!

Last edited: