• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

which way does the wind blow?

FlyKaesan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about sending my parents through Hawaii Ferry from Maui to Oahu. My family would be flying since we have baby.
It's their special occasion and they love boating so I am thinking to use the ferry ride back.
What I am wondering is does the wind blow towards Oahu from Maui or is it other way around during October? I don't want them to get sea sick.

I am thinking if they are going against the wind, I wouldn't send them on the ferry. Is that right?

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your question, but I think what matters more is the condition of the water. In the winter, the channels tend to be rougher than in the summer. When the ferry service started, we were having some pretty rough water and a lot of people reported getting seasick, but you don't hear much of that now. At least I don't.

-David

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Boating is one of my favorite things to do as well -- I own 2 boats myself and always take at least 2 catamaran excursions when I'm on Hawaii. But riding the SuperFerry doesn't count as 'boating' to me. It's mainly a means of transportation, not pleasure.

Instead, I'd look into a sunset catamaran ride if I were you. I can't help you with Oahu, though I'm positive they have them. Trilogy and Pacific Whale Foundation do them on Maui, among others. (PWF is also offering 1/2 price excursions on the weekends for members this fall.) Some even depart from Kaanapali Beach via a zodiak which takes passengers from the beach to the catamaran, so it's very convenient for the folks staying there.

Another option is a chocolate and champagne sunset cruises on a sailboat. Both the America II and Scotch Mist operate out of Lahaina Harbor. Sailboats are much more intimate than a cat but the seating isn't nearly as comfortable and the "railing" is simply a low cable, so they have to be able to swim if they happen to slip and fall in.

Not sure which I prefer, but both are awesome.

FlyKaesan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok. I will abadon the idea of using the Ferry.
Do you think they will enjoy boat trip to Lanai or Molokai? I have no plan to visit those islands but if it is a enjoyable ride, I can make it just for them. Actually I have to join them since they can not do anything without me.
Is trip to Lanai or Molokai for transportation purposes or for joy ride?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There is an all-day Catamaran trip to Lanai that includes 3 meals, snorkeling, a tour of Lanai, and beach activities that many Tuggers have been on and is highly recommended - http://www.sailtrilogy.com/pages/lanai_sunset.php

Tuggers of all ages have enjoyed it - I know Sterliong and his wife enjoyed it even though his wife is somewhat physically impaired.