• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which Timeshare is the Worst?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Any tips for selling? I know this is the wrong forum but I’m trying to learn all I can!
There are many threads on Tug that discuss the ins and outs of selling. Search them out for your resort.

Here's the general perspective:

A lot has to do with what you own, whether it's free and clear, and what you think you want to get out of it. I bought all my timeshares on the resale market, most for $1 or less. In most cases, I sold them for the same $1, or gave them away for free. In those cases, I paid closing costs for the buyer, to sweeten the deal. That was because I wanted the timeshare out of my name before the next maintenance fee was due. I never had to wait more than a few days to have a buyer, and I never had to pay that next maintenance fee.

Good luck!

Dave

Hpmick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much, Dave! It’s been a great timeshare so hopefully I can market it well enough, even to give it away. I appreciate your tips! I’ll search for the right forums!

quikitikit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort (EVR), Marriott Newport Coast (NCV), Marriott Destination Club Trust Points
what timeshare in Colorado? Not so many and they are in mountain locations where the only true value is getting your week during ski season, not mud season which tends to come and go but isn't fun unless you are biking and hiking. Now, I do love summer in the mountains, but getting a timeshare week in summer season is also difficult. I know because I've lived in
steamboat springs where Sheraton is on the mountainside and the other timeshare long ago is taken over by big management companies. There you go, summer is not the time to own a timeshare in Colorado. And now, there are lots of air&b's, more condos than ever, and lots of rentals.
We have a reservation for Steamboat Springs Sheraton in August, our first time in Colorado we booked on II. We know it’s in the mountains. What are your recommendations to do there besides hiking?

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a reservation for Steamboat Springs Sheraton in August, our first time in Colorado we booked on II. We know it’s in the mountains. What are your recommendations to do there besides hiking?
Take the scenic gondola ride up the mountain
Visit Strawberry Park hot springs.
If you're interested in better chances at seeing lots of moose, take the drive up to Walden.

e.bram

Reaction score
All times shares are good and bad. If you have the oceanfront unit in a good week it is great . If you don't ,not so good>same timeshare.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
We stayed at one and the hot tub was full of people wishing they didn't own there.
@DawnM Wow...the hot tub is normally where we get all the best tips and hacks to make timesharing worthwhile!

DawnM

Reaction score
@DawnM Wow...the hot tub is normally where we get all the best tips and hacks to make timesharing worthwhile!
It may have just been the mix that particular day. One of them had inherited the timeshare and wanted to get rid of it. The other family said they wished they had bought somewhere else. The third family said they just don't use it much but weren't too negative about it.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's funny, my worst was also one of our favorites. We owned a quartershare at Inn of Silvercreek. The resort itself was very basic but DH and the boys loved going and would go for a month at a time in summer and mud season. We didn't ski so we rented our winter month and it paid the fees for the year. We got 3 months a year and they rotated, one summer, one mud, and one winter. It was great for a few years and then the HOA sold a majority of the weeks to a single owner. When the rental market got bad, they controlled the HOA by a majority and changed to do long-term rentals to low-income folks. Not that there is anything wrong with low-income folks but it brought an unsavory few that ruined the place for us and at that point we sold. I did make a very large profit on it. I sold it for 4 times what I paid and we had some great family vacations there.

kvp

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't regret Shell at all? I am deeding mine back at the end of May. That is my regret. We own a lot of points and use to rent, but the rental market right now is now working at all for me. No big loss to deed it back for me.

I also regret purchasing Blue Ridge Village. It's an anchor around my neck. I paid a ridiculous special assessment and fees went up by 30% in a couple of years. I know they will never go down again. Bluegreen now manages it and expects us to just come up with money whenever they decide they need it.

I have sold some of my regrets, so I won't list them here. I am wiser now. Still giving away Wyndham points.
How do I deed my Shell points back to them? I'd love to do this.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II

elizkress

TUG Member
Reaction score
Canada House beach Club in Pompano Beach is the worst. Upon check-in this year, the pots and pans were unusable . . Deep gouges and ruffled finish on non-stick and metal separation of base on stainless . . The replacements brought to unit were equally bad or worse . . There was no rack or crumb tray for toaster oven . . The ones they brought to unit did not fit . . There was black goo all over the gears wheels of the electric can opener and I had to sign-out a manual can opener . . TV did not work and I had to give up a 4 hour window between 12-5 to wait on repair person . . Refrigerators did not work in any units and I had to pack food on ice . . Heat did not work over those crazy cold days over Christmas . . Cockroaches were to numerous to round up all of them . . When I did round up some of them and took to check-in desk, they just laughed and called them "palmetto bugs" . . Broiler pans no longer come with the stove and must be checked out . . Feral cats just all over the resort just looking for a hand-out or legs to rub up against, then they take a nap on your towels on your pool chair . . Pool needed to be drained and acid washed, it was disgustingly slimy . . Neighbors around your unit smoking hash and check-in personnel just laughing about how you cannot use your own patio . . It has become the most disgusting resort that I have ever stayed at and hopefully the association dissolves soon and some other TS business bull-dozes the place !

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Lots of hate here for MROP. Can someone please decipher those initials for me so we can avoid the place? Or is it only bad for owners and acceptable for an

One of the MROP properties is in Midway, UT (near Park City) in the same complex as Worldmark.

We have stayed in the WM portion many times. Stayed in an MROP unit on a ridiculously cheap RCI points stay. It was very equivalent to the WM units and we were totally happy.

HappyClam

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluewater Resort, multiple weeks, all fixed weeks, fixed unit, 3 br July weeks
I'd never heard of Spinnaker so asked google. Who sent me to their website. There they say at the top that there are 40 destinations. Then they list 12. Odd.... far from that 90 original listing.
I completely disagree. Been a Spinnaker owner 25 years. I own MULTIPLE JULY WEEKS at Bluewater. Deeded. Fixed weeks, fixed units. We use them, rent them, exchanged them for EUROPE. Kids LOVE IT AND SO DO THE GRANDS. Lowest annual dues in the industry by far. Immaculately kept resorts. And they exchange very well if you give Interval enough time. LAST MINUTE EXCHANGES DONT WORK. If you want to travel use INterval Getaways or Shortstays. DUH. But if you exchange, then do REQUEST FIRST and that way you get what you want before they grab your week. And they give you 2/1 automatically, your exchanged week plus a certificate for an add on and then you travel for two weeks for price of one. DONE IT. TWICE TO EUROPE.

Spinnaker Timeshares are also LESS EXPENSIVE THAN DISNEY MARRIOTT HILTON AND HYATT AND SHERATON AND MOST WYNDHAMS. If you have a week you dont like ask sales to see what can be done about moving it. OR CALL RESERVATIONS SUFFICIENTLY IN ADVANCE AND TELL YOU HAVE A MARCH WEEK AND WANT AN AUGUST WEEK AND WANT TO GO TO X RESORT because its a Spinnaker location there is NO FEE FOR THAT!. FIXED WEEKS ARENT CEMENT SHOES. THey are there for YOU to use guaranteed. BUT IF YOU DESIRE TO MOVE IT ONE YEAR TEMPORARILY? Reservations will help you. OR SIMPLY USE THE OWNERS BONUS WEEKS OFFSEASON TO COME, pay the annual dues and you have another CHEAP vacation week.
I have discussed this in the pool for 25 years with disgruntled owners. EVERY TIME its people who DONT UNDERSTAND THE SYSTEM, DONT USE IT PROPERLY or DONT ASK SALES TO GET A BETTER WEEK OR LOCATION. We have 3 fixed weeks and ONE floater (we use for overflow when we have more than 8 people coming) and/or rent it out.

Timeshare is a commitment. Dont buy one if you dont want to commit. Fine. But like the resort? They have a week that interests you? Buy it. HOLD IT. USE IT. GIVE TO YOUR KIDS AS INHERITANCE. Want variety? Use Spinnaker internal exchanges for FREE, or use BONUS weeks for nominal costs, or use Interval for exchanges, Getaways or ShortStay Vacations. Whats not to like?

And I have asked Spinnaker to RENT MY WEEK when we cant come. They get it rented and I get a check in the mail. Sure they get a hefty fee, but its not sitting empty. It pays for the dues. DUH.

we have MANY friends we know for many years we love seeing every summer. We know the staff like Family. Its well run, well managed, impeccably maintained and low dues. And its Hilton Head for gosh sakes.