• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which Timeshare is the Worst?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I will take a bad ocean front unit with mediocre amenities over most others.

The timeshares we owned on a golf course were nice but golf has a way of going from fun to misery.

Bill

7bettty1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of the timeshares I've personally owned, I'd probably never again purchase MROP. What was something like 90 locations at the time has dwindled to only a couple of dozen now, from what I understand. The reservation system was awkward, at best, and impossible, at worst. Making the right reservation at the right time in the right location was a PITA, as the booking window kept rotating, changing when something could be booked. You had to send a booking request for a more-or-less time and place, and they'd let you know at some point later on what they'd assigned you. There was no room to change that if you didn't like it. I never quite got the exact place I wanted during the exact week I wanted it. Physically, the single worst timeshare unit I've ever stayed in was with that company. I was glad to pass it along to someone who knew the drawbacks, but wanted it anyway. I was glad to be done with it, and I hope they were happy. I'm not a fan.

Dave
How did you get out of MROP? Worse mistake we have made. Added an assessment the same as maintenance fee. Own other timeshares and never had an assessment in 30 years. Just want out

THSMTHS

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
American Resorts International (ARI),
Marriott Desert Springs II,
Marriott Ko 'Olina,
Falcon Point,
Marriott Sabal Palms,
Westin Flex,
Marriott DP,
Diamond (Sedona access)
@THSMTHS Colorado for the win! Westin Riverfront is our home resort and since buying there about 6 years ago our Vail Valley vacations have taken a HUUUUUGE jump in the quality of the places we stay. Prior to timesharing, we use to rent crappy condos on VRBO for double the price of what we pay now in MF's.
Just saw where you owned. I hope that Apollo and Christie Lodge have made some improvements. I can see why you are enjoying Riverfront. Westin quality from what we have seen is tops. We had property there, but always stayed over at Falcon Point. From Riverfront, we went to Flex, which I absolutely loved, as it gave us access to Kierland Villas, our favorite Stayca. Then we let someone talk us into Nanea. Bad idea, as we already had access. Have finally convinced husband we are done, no more timeshare purchases. Now, just need some time to explore our home state, as I have changed from a lakerat into a desertrat.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Just saw where you owned. I hope that Apollo and Christie Lodge have made some improvements. I can see why you are enjoying Riverfront. Westin quality from what we have seen is tops. We had property there, but always stayed over at Falcon Point. From Riverfront, we went to Flex, which I absolutely loved, as it gave us access to Kierland Villas, our favorite Stayca. Then we let someone talk us into Nanea. Bad idea, as we already had access. Have finally convinced husband we are done, no more timeshare purchases. Now, just need some time to explore our home state, as I have changed from a lakerat into a desertrat.
Summers we try only to stay at the Westin for the higher level accommodations and amenities and the A/C...Falcon Point and Sheraton Mountain Villas for adult kids and their families as the no A/C doesn't seem to bother them as much and then they come over to the Westin during the day...works great. Nottingham Lake and the kids playgrounds/creek setup work so well for our grands. I can't seem to get into the Kierland during Spring/Fall although have not tried persistently. Love that property as well.

Last edited:

Jolly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of the timeshares I've personally owned, I'd probably never again purchase MROP. What was something like 90 locations at the time has dwindled to only a couple of dozen now, from what I understand. The reservation system was awkward, at best, and impossible, at worst. Making the right reservation at the right time in the right location was a PITA, as the booking window kept rotating, changing when something could be booked. You had to send a booking request for a more-or-less time and place, and they'd let you know at some point later on what they'd assigned you. There was no room to change that if you didn't like it. I never quite got the exact place I wanted during the exact week I wanted it. Physically, the single worst timeshare unit I've ever stayed in was with that company. I was glad to pass it along to someone who knew the drawbacks, but wanted it anyway. I was glad to be done with it, and I hope they were happy. I'm not a fan.

Dave
The one, MROP,
I like least as well…..almost free for the taking. Anyone?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We have MROP. Terrible mistake How did u get out of it. Hit us with an assessment the same as the maintenance fee. Have never had an assessment at the other timeshare we own. Just want out

I sold mine a number of years ago. You may want to ask @Passepartout Jim about his. He has just gone through giving his MROP back to them.

Dave

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I don't really have a "worst" timeshare. I think that I would be willing to go back to almost any of them. But in the last 100 or so exchanges we've had issues. But they've never been so bad that they totally soured me on the place. But here are some of the things that we experienced, lived through and gone forward afterwards:

1. Mouse and rat droppings and nesting material found inside a cupboard next to a new rat hole through the drywall (Sands of Ka Hana). The hole was patched by maintenance who also set traps....
2. a. Air conditioner not working and (after 3 days of maintenance people coming in and out of our unit) replaced with a free standing room A/C that sounded like a vacuum cleaner next to our bed - - all night long for the rest of the week) (Hyatt/Welk Northstar) . This was a chronic problem that existed for over a year in this unit and had been unaddressed or unresolved during that period. But the mgmt tried to make good by offering generous compensation.
2b. AC in master unit stopped followed by the one in the efficiency also the next day and parts due 3 or 4 days out (Hyatt Pinon Point --got moved to a different unit and offered generous compensation). Their maintenance people tried their best...
3. Water dripping out of the ceiling into the bath tub (Desert Springs 2). Plumbing problem above us. Stuff happens and they fixed it.
4. Waking up to water all over the kitchen floor two or three times - - faulty dishwasher (Desert Springs 2). They fixed it... after a few tries.
5. Non-functional gas grill - (Ridge on Sedona Golf). I re-adjusted the gas regulator myself with my "multi-tool".
6. Upstairs neighbor's children practicing indoor broad jumping (Sedona Summit). I called neighbor and problem went away immediately
7. No A/C, no fans, no breeze, unseasonably hot weather - Harbortown Point. You can't really fight weather and timeshare layout/design.
8. Absolutely filthy carpets and flooring (Welk Northstar). This is related to 2a (above)
9. Getting locked out and stranded on the 2nd floor lanai/balcony with my wife and without a cell phone (DSV2). Really scary until my last ditch effort to jimmy the door open and bend/break the lock.
10. Being put into a 2 Bath unit where one bathroom had no lights and a sewer smell was wafting out of the light switch (something wrong in wall) and the bathroom with a light would leak "liquid" from under the toilet after each flush. Plus unscrubbed floor in working bathroom (coffee ring on floor) - - they moved us. But the 2nd unit had non-functional AC units, dirty fridge, etc. - - the maintenance people fixed that stuff and mgmt gave us a compensating stay at another location in the future. (DRI's Point at Poipu).

So, it isn't like we haven't ever had any problems. But most were addressed in part or full and we never let it ruin our vacation. In some cases the management went to great lengths to make us whole and happy. We would probably go back to any of these units in the future.

fizzysoup

TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolute. A dreadful dishonest company, with ever-increasing Maintenance Fees well above inflation.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Lots of hate here for MROP. Can someone please decipher those initials for me so we can avoid the place? Or is it only bad for owners and acceptable for an exchange?

I can identify with BJRs comments. We too have had our problems, although a fair number of our issues revolve around the other humans staying at the resort (barking dogs, pot smokers, inconsiderate noisy neighbors, and so on).

As BJR says: here are some of the things that we experienced, lived through and gone forward afterwards. Well. I'm still alive too. My wife hasn't killed me yet after an unhappy exchange.

I also have to agree with another of BJR's comments: In some cases the management went to great lengths to make us whole and happy. We had a major issue with the neighboring (sub)humans during a visit to Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2. Security initially failed to deal with it and, after complaining after a second horrible night, we were moved to another unit. Moving was a hassle, but at last we had peace. Management later apologized, and compensated us with a free 2BR week that was placed into our Interval account. I then turned that freebie into a 3BR at Marriott Grand Chateau (plus a one level upcharge to Interval) which we enjoyed very much. My point: if you're having issues, you need to speak up firmly. It's not wrong to ask for compensation.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Lots of hate here for MROP. Can someone please decipher those initials for me so we can avoid the place? Or is it only bad for owners and acceptable for an exchange?

I can identify with BJRs comments. We too have had our problems, although a fair number of our issues revolve around the other humans staying at the resort (barking dogs, pot smokers, inconsiderate noisy neighbors, and so on).

As BJR says: here are some of the things that we experienced, lived through and gone forward afterwards. Well. I'm still alive too. My wife hasn't killed me yet after an unhappy exchange.

I also have to agree with another of BJR's comments: In some cases the management went to great lengths to make us whole and happy. We had a major issue with the neighboring (sub)humans during a visit to Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2. Security initially failed to deal with it and, after complaining after a second horrible night, we were moved to another unit. Moving was a hassle, but at last we had peace. Management later apologized, and compensated us with a free 2BR week that was placed into our Interval account. I then turned that freebie into a 3BR at Marriott Grand Chateau (plus a one level upcharge to Interval) which we enjoyed very much. My point: if you're having issues, you need to speak up firmly. It's not wrong to ask for compensation.

MROP is a mini-system, Multi-Resorts Ownership Plan. https://www.multi-resorts.com/ Their booking system is managed by VRI - Vacation Resorts international. https://www.vriresorts.com/

They look fine and dandy up front, and might be okay, if you're accepting of their limitations. Full disclosure: I sold mine about ten years ago. So things may be better now. But from what I read online, maybe not. Buyer beware.

Dave

Last edited:

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch

skimeup

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Inn at the Opera, Grand;view for RCI points - 196000 , Hyatt Carmel, Hyatt Sedona
Spinnaker . A terrible mistake to become involved with these people. They promote Interval International more than anything and lead you to believe you can vacation anywhere anytime, The reality is Spinnaker properties have very weak trading values. After you deposit your Spinnaker unit with II and notify Spinnaker of the disappointment with trading values the answer is always to up-grade to another property that will have an enhanced trading value but sadly it is only a shell game. On one sales pitch we were told that a certain credit card they promote would add value to our trading power! Please take your time and thoroughly research these companies.
I'd never heard of Spinnaker so asked google. Who sent me to their website. There they say at the top that there are 40 destinations. Then they list 12. Odd.... far from that 90 original listing.

skimeup

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Inn at the Opera, Grand;view for RCI points - 196000 , Hyatt Carmel, Hyatt Sedona
Spinnaker . A terrible mistake to become involved with these people. They promote Interval International more than anything and lead you to believe you can vacation anywhere anytime, The reality is Spinnaker properties have very weak trading values. After you deposit your Spinnaker unit with II and notify Spinnaker of the disappointment with trading values the answer is always to up-grade to another property that will have an enhanced trading value but sadly it is only a shell game. On one sales pitch we were told that a certain credit card they promote would add value to our trading power! Please take your time and thoroughly research these companies.
I'd never heard of Spinnaker so asked google. Who sent me to their website. There they say at the top that there are 40 destinations. Then they list 12. Odd.... far from that 90 original listing.

skimeup

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond was the worst. So bad we sold our 3 BR lock-off Platinum at Mystic Dunes. We bought it resale before Diamond acquired it. It was perfect for our young family at the time. Main issues where the high pressure condescending way they treated owners and the exploding MFs. Hopefully Hilton will wash away the worst of it. Its shocking when you compare the MFs of a HVC to those of an HGVC probably 40% higher on average for a lesser product.

I've heard terrible things about Capital Vacations.
Agree about Diamond. Even the sales folks for other clubs diss Diamond. And I went through a broker to buy my first week at Los Abrigados and when I wanted to dump my weeks after my first experience with Diamond, I checked with her and she said they wouldn't even carry Diamond any more. And these were weeks, not points so I had far better access to Los Ab than a points owner.

skimeup

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't really have a "worst" timeshare. I think that I would be willing to go back to almost any of them. But in the last 100 or so exchanges we've had issues. But they've never been so bad that they totally soured me on the place. But here are some of the things that we experienced, lived through and gone forward afterwards:

1. Mouse and rat droppings and nesting material found inside a cupboard next to a new rat hole through the drywall (Sands of Ka Hana). The hole was patched by maintenance who also set traps....
2. a. Air conditioner not working and (after 3 days of maintenance people coming in and out of our unit) replaced with a free standing room A/C that sounded like a vacuum cleaner next to our bed - - all night long for the rest of the week) (Hyatt/Welk Northstar) . This was a chronic problem that existed for over a year in this unit and had been unaddressed or unresolved during that period. But the mgmt tried to make good by offering generous compensation.
2b. AC in master unit stopped followed by the one in the efficiency also the next day and parts due 3 or 4 days out (Hyatt Pinon Point --got moved to a different unit and offered generous compensation). Their maintenance people tried their best...
3. Water dripping out of the ceiling into the bath tub (Desert Springs 2). Plumbing problem above us. Stuff happens and they fixed it.
4. Waking up to water all over the kitchen floor two or three times - - faulty dishwasher (Desert Springs 2). They fixed it... after a few tries.
5. Non-functional gas grill - (Ridge on Sedona Golf). I re-adjusted the gas regulator myself with my "multi-tool".
6. Upstairs neighbor's children practicing indoor broad jumping (Sedona Summit). I called neighbor and problem went away immediately
7. No A/C, no fans, no breeze, unseasonably hot weather - Harbortown Point. You can't really fight weather and timeshare layout/design.
8. Absolutely filthy carpets and flooring (Welk Northstar). This is related to 2a (above)
9. Getting locked out and stranded on the 2nd floor lanai/balcony with my wife and without a cell phone (DSV2). Really scary until my last ditch effort to jimmy the door open and bend/break the lock.
10. Being put into a 2 Bath unit where one bathroom had no lights and a sewer smell was wafting out of the light switch (something wrong in wall) and the bathroom with a light would leak "liquid" from under the toilet after each flush. Plus unscrubbed floor in working bathroom (coffee ring on floor) - - they moved us. But the 2nd unit had non-functional AC units, dirty fridge, etc. - - the maintenance people fixed that stuff and mgmt gave us a compensating stay at another location in the future. (DRI's Point at Poipu).

So, it isn't like we haven't ever had any problems. But most were addressed in part or full and we never let it ruin our vacation. In some cases the management went to great lengths to make us whole and happy. We would probably go back to any of these units in the future.
Goodness! Where was number 10?

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Diamond was the worst. So bad we sold our 3 BR lock-off Platinum at Mystic Dunes. We bought it resale before Diamond acquired it. It was perfect for our young family at the time. Main issues where the high pressure condescending way they treated owners and the exploding MFs. Hopefully Hilton will wash away the worst of it. Its shocking when you compare the MFs of a HVC to those of an HGVC probably 40% higher on average for a lesser product.

I've heard terrible things about Capital Vacations.
We still have our 3 br at Mystic Dunes. Fees went up like crazy after Diamond took over, but our week 52 is still perfect for the extended family when we are a group of 11 or 12. Looks like the kids and grandkids are never going to outgrow their love for Disney World in my lifetime, so I guess I'm in for the long haul. Was hoping the Hilton merger might be a positive move, but I haven't seen any changes.

Sheila

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I'll submit the worst timeshare we ever stayed in although that wasn't what OP asked for.

Atrium Resort in Virginia Beach, probably in 2002 or 2003. Daughter was attending Old Dominion University in Norfolk and we really wanted to get down that way for spring break. A day or two before check-in, a week at Atrium Resort popped up and we took it.

A bare minumum one bedroom unit -- small living area connected to the bedroom in back with a narrow passageway that was also the kitchen. The toaster was stored on top of the fridge because there wasn't enough counter space for even a toaster. We put it on top of a Coleman cooler in the living area.

It was kind of cave-like. Windows didn't open and I swear the windows had chicken wire embedded. It is located three or four blocks from the beach.

Oddly enough, there are some glowing reviews, some of which mention the great location! My guess is that these reviews were written by owners hoping to sell or by people who live in trailers.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Goodness! Where was number 10?
Number 10 was Point at Poipu, a DRI resort at the time and now HGVC (or something). We still enjoyed our time but lost about 2 days. I posted on-line and a management person called me and offered me 3 nights in Tahoe. I coaxed him into giving me 7 nights. So, in all fairness, DRI tried to make good.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
The logo says they are celebrating 40 years, not that they have 40 resorts

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the trials and tribulations of owning in MROP, but we exchanged into one of their resorts in St. George and loved it! It was a 3BR townhome in MROP's Canyon @ Coral Ridge in St. George, UT. https://www.canyonvillasatcoralridge.com/ The townhome was very nice, with more of a local neighborhood vs resort vibe. It was perfect for us to use as a base to explore Zion, Bryce Canyon, and Snow Canyon.

Hpmick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. I own none at this point. Sold the last one a few months ago. I may buy again, but for now, I want to rent, and spend time traveling in Europe.

Dave
Any tips for selling? I know this is the wrong forum but I’m trying to learn all I can!

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Any tips for selling? I know this is the wrong forum but I’m trying to learn all I can!
It has to be paid off. Set a reasonable price. Take the time to write up a good sales pitch. Post on Tug, Redweek & ebay. If you just want to dump it quickly start with a $1 auction on eBay. Use a company like LT Transfers for the closing. I have resold 7 resale purchases over the past 14 years with this method, all at a profit. One I made $5k. I’m down to 3 (Hilton, Hyatt, Worldmark) and am pretty happy with that.

Hpmick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great! It’s all paid off. And I just posted on TUG! I’ll try eBay and redweek, too. I’m learning to be patient and thanks for the tip about LT transfers - I really appreciate it!!