• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which Timeshare for Colorado?

chromeo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC x 4
I think it's time for our to pack in our Disney DVC Beach Club and move on to a real timeshare group, but I don't know anything about the systems outside of DVC. I hope this group might be able to point me in the right direction.

I want to stay a week-ish in Colorado in the summer, Breckenridge or Vail or somewhere close to that. We have gone every summer to Keystone and a ski weekend here and there with Airbnb. The Airbnbs in this area are excellent, and I don't have a problem with this, but I'd like to see what I could get for the money in one of these systems. I assume they all have nice ski resorts in this area.

I think I could at least book the summer ahead of time, but we do take frequent last minute trips to lots of places, so I am open to systems that would allow last minute bookings. I'm not sure we would go every single summer. It would be nice to be able to rent out a week here and there or roll points to the next year.

I'm very good at working the DVC point system, but I know last minute is usually not an option. I enjoy the gameification of points and I like the nuances of the DVC system, I assume I could similarly work another system.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
So many systems in Breck/ Vail, including Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton (Valdoro), Sheraton (Mountain Vista and Lakeside Terrace), and Westin (Riverfront Villas).

I would buy resale, of course. Hyatt has several Colorado resorts that are first class.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's time for our to pack in our Disney DVC Beach Club and move on to a real timeshare group, but I don't know anything about the systems outside of DVC. I hope this group might be able to point me in the right direction.

I want to stay a week-ish in Colorado in the summer, Breckenridge or Vail or somewhere close to that. We have gone every summer to Keystone and a ski weekend here and there with Airbnb. The Airbnbs in this area are excellent, and I don't have a problem with this, but I'd like to see what I could get for the money in one of these systems. I assume they all have nice ski resorts in this area.

I think I could at least book the summer ahead of time, but we do take frequent last minute trips to lots of places, so I am open to systems that would allow last minute bookings. I'm not sure we would go every single summer. It would be nice to be able to rent out a week here and there or roll points to the next year.

I'm very good at working the DVC point system, but I know last minute is usually not an option. I enjoy the gameification of points and I like the nuances of the DVC system, I assume I could similarly work another system.
I'd suggest renting and visiting some of the resorts you are thinking of buying resale at first. You can rent your DVC points to pay for it you like.

Every timeshare system and resort network has its quirks, so no point in rushing things and making a mistake.

If you own at Beach Club, it might be worth keeping and renting instead of selling.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I own Hyatt and live in Colorado and absolutely love it. Feel free to send me a PM with any questions.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
I'm gonna bust on the one (and first and so far only) Colorado Hyatt we stayed at in June this year in Beaver Creek so not fair for sure to bust on all Colorado Hyatt's.

No A/C at the Hyatt Mountain Lodge HBK in Beaver Creek which was uncomfortably hot many days during our stay in JUNE. Does anyone know if the other Colorado Hyatt's have A/C?

Same reason we won't stay at the Sheraton in Avon/Beaver Creek.

chromeo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC x 4
Wow, do the Hyatt properties in Colorado look good, but it seems so limited elsewhere. I'm never going to most of those locations. I'm intrigued by the Marriott Mountain Valley Breckenridge property, but seems like you can do better than that for cash in the area. I'm not even sure it's worth $300/night to try it, haha! You could rent a 1M house with a hot tub for that.

Summer is high season in Colorado, but the prices are so competitive with all the Airbnbs everywhere because everyone just comes to the mountains to ski.

I guess I need to dig into Marriott point charts and figure out what this would cost on whatever their system is. I'm open to this Marriott property, especially if I could stay in Vegas sometimes, or some beachy destinations.

And I have a family member who desperately wants the Beach Club, and it's time to move on from Disney. I am well aware of DVC's value at market, and we worked it out where everyone is happy with the solution. But now, I have no points for anything!

Last edited:

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
I just came across a pretty interesting HGVC deed at Valdoro Mountain in Breck that is two weeks EOY Even in a 1BR Plus. Its a fixed Week 11 and a floating summer week. If I don’t use either of those I get 6200 points for each. The MF is about $1180 for each week and my purchase costs will be right around $4000 plus the Hilton transfer and activation fee. I don’t ski so I’ll probably rent the ski week, most likely for more than the MF for that week. The MFs for Valdoro are in the $.19 per point, but I’ve got two other really low MF deeds, so after these are added my average cost is about $.14/pt.

Last edited:

chromeo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC x 4
Huh, these Valdoro deeds are interesting. There's one listed right now pretty close to what you bought. Using the summer week and renting out the ski week sounds like a plan to me! I guess I need to research more about Hilton points! This might be exactly what I need!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Huh, these Valdoro deeds are interesting. There's one listed right now pretty close to what you bought. Using the summer week and renting out the ski week sounds like a plan to me! I guess I need to research more about Hilton points! This might be exactly what I need!
Hilton is great. I love that system (don't own any). I would also look at Marriott for internal trades through II.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm gonna bust on the one (and first and so far only) Colorado Hyatt we stayed at in June this year in Beaver Creek so not fair for sure to bust on all Colorado Hyatt's.

No A/C at the Hyatt Mountain Lodge HBK in Beaver Creek which was uncomfortably hot many days during our stay in JUNE. Does anyone know if the other Colorado Hyatt's have A/C?

Same reason we won't stay at the Sheraton in Avon/Beaver Creek.
That can be a big problem for me. I need AC!

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District

There are a different mixed of deeds at Valdoro. Some of the ski weeks are Fixed or Float and some include a Summer week while others don't. The one I'm working on is a Fixed week 11, which falls into the Spring Break time frame.

AnnieBets

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just FYI - with DVC you can get RCI extra vacations and there are some CO resorts available now.

chromeo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC x 4
Stayed a night at Hyatt Mountain Beaver Creek and at Aspen. I had Hyatt status pre-Covid, so I am a fan of Hyatt in general, but this was my first time at the timeshares.

Whew no AC in Beaver Creek was not fun. We were in the hottest days possible, but sounds like this was a problem in June. I'm coming from Florida standards, so the pool was unimpressive, kids unimpressed. Other kids there were acting like they had never seen a pool before. Maybe they hadn't? Don't seem to be a lot of them in Colorado. Beaver Creek was not my jam.

Aspen was better, but it better be for the price!! I would be willing to do a few nights, but that isn't really how locking into a timeshare works. I'm bummed at Hyatt's location list, which seems really trendy to me, and not where I want to go. That might be the dealbreaker. There is a property fairly close to me I would enjoy, so it wouldn't get wasted, but I doubt you can buy in for just a few nights here and there.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Stayed a night at Hyatt Mountain Beaver Creek and at Aspen. I had Hyatt status pre-Covid, so I am a fan of Hyatt in general, but this was my first time at the timeshares.

Whew no AC in Beaver Creek was not fun. We were in the hottest days possible, but sounds like this was a problem in June. I'm coming from Florida standards, so the pool was unimpressive, kids unimpressed. Other kids there were acting like they had never seen a pool before. Maybe they hadn't? Don't seem to be a lot of them in Colorado. Beaver Creek was not my jam.

Aspen was better, but it better be for the price!! I would be willing to do a few nights, but that isn't really how locking into a timeshare works. I'm bummed at Hyatt's location list, which seems really trendy to me, and not where I want to go. That might be the dealbreaker. There is a property fairly close to me I would enjoy, so it wouldn't get wasted, but I doubt you can buy in for just a few nights here and there.
Oddly enough that Hyatt Mountain Lodge was originally going to be a Disney Vacation Club: