• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which South Florida MVC Do You Like The Best?

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am cancelling my anniversary trip I had scheduled to Aruba Ocean Club for April due to the new COVID testing requirements to re-enter the US. Thinking of re-trading into one of the South Florida MVCs instead. Which to you like best and why?

- Beachplace Towers
- Ocean Pointe
- Oceana Palms
- Villas at Doral (I know this one isn't beachfront, so unlikely to be my choice, but still interested if others like it for some reason.)

PsuFrh

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Canyon Villas
We own at Ocean Pointe and love it. Good beach area, nice pools, good amenities, walking distance to some restaurants and shopping, easy driving to other sites in Palm Beach and beyond. Helpful staff.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am cancelling my anniversary trip I had scheduled to Aruba Ocean Club for April due to the new COVID testing requirements to re-enter the US. Thinking of re-trading into one of the South Florida MVCs instead. Which to you like best and why?

- Beachplace Towers
- Ocean Pointe
- Oceana Palms
- Villas at Doral (I know this one isn't beachfront, so unlikely to be my choice, but still interested if others like it for some reason.)

Think about adding Marriott's Crystal Shores to your list. It is in South Florida and the location and Villas themselves are fabulous......

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Think about adding Marriott's Crystal Shores to your list. It is in South Florida and the location and Villas themselves are fabulous......

I would love if that one pops up, but not sure it will pop-up as a re-trade by April. If it does I would definitely jump at that one!

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points

- Beachplace Towers
- Ocean Pointe
- Oceana Palms
We are at BeachPlace now and come here every year in January to celebrate my wife’s birthday....we love the location..the staff is really nice and the villas have been updated nicely in the last 2 years...Intra coastal views are beautiful and there are good restaurants within walking distance plus a very nice beach is right across the street....IMO...BPT provides a very comfortable and relaxing vacation.

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
We are at Ocean Pointe for the first time right now for 2 weeks and visited Oceana Palms and Beachplace Towers right before Xmas. I would definitely pick Palm Beach resorts over Ft Lauderdale. Palm beach location is a much quieter laid back area with nice walking path along the inlet as well as over the Blue Heron bridge - which we do daily.

Priority order:

Oceana Palms - newer units, free beach chairs (but umbrella rental is extra $15 daily).

Ocean Pointe - probably more pool area

Beachplace Towers - daily parking fee - $15 I think. Waiting for 4 Elevators was a nightmare (1 broken) could wait up to 10 or 15 minutes. Reservations required at the pool for one of the 3 daily sessions- allowed to be made day prior starting at 7 am.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Doral may be the least desireable resort in the entire Marriott system. Units are large and on a golf course, but that's the end of the story.

I would grab Ocean Point if you want quiet with a lot of beach frontage and no big crowds. The resort is spread out and there are lots of different areas to hang out when not at the beach. Oceana Palms units are great, but it's on a very small footprint. I didn't like the parking there either. Beachplace is urban and there is a lot to do within walking distance including lots of dining choices. It is somewhat the opposite of the ones in WPB. Great beach across the street, but it is public and can get crowded in high season. If you are used to South Florida urban areas like Miami Beach and Lauderdale you understand what it is like. People who aren't familiar and who aren't comfortable with the party crowd may feel intimidated and even unsafe. I've found it to be neither, but others have definitely had a different reaction.

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
Appreciate any feedback on Doral? We have never been and access to the property seems easy through both points and II. I am a golfer but have done very little research on the property, location, courses, restaurants or closet beach if there is one. There must be some positives. Just looking for info at this time. Thanks in advance......

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doral is interesting, stayed there last year in February for 12 nights or so, hadn't been there in years. Units are very nice, it's not crowded and you're in a relatively upscale suburban area, across the street from Trump's Doral. Beach? A real schlep, you're not close at all. A nice enough pool and the entire resort is along a man-made lake with large fountains along the edge which are sort of entertaining. It is on a landing approach to MIA so you'll see a lot of jets but they're pretty quiet on the approach; I wouldn't want to relax under them taking off but they really weren't very distracting. Covid was just breaking out when we were there, it was brand new so everyone was adjusting. I'd say that access to greater Miami and the relatively low point usage would be the key advantages. I much prefer Ocean Point, even over Oceana Palms, for the beach and inlet. It's a nice area to walk around, Oceana Palms really isn't. We really love Beachplace Towers for many reasons but for a while yet we're staying away from elevators and especially lines at the elevator. Great restaurants around Ft. Lauderdale, we love the beach view from high up and love walking up and down along the beach. Have you thought of the South Beach Pulse? It's a great location, fairly small and there's a great beach across the road, wonderful restaurants all around. I'm sure you're sorry about Auba, so are we but we've already booked for next January . . . hope springs eternal.

tv77

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are part of the Florida Club, how do you book these locations?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you are part of the Florida Club, how do you book these locations?
You can book on the Marriott Vacation Club website or by calling owner services.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doral is interesting, stayed there last year in February for 12 nights or so, hadn't been there in years. Units are very nice, it's not crowded and you're in a relatively upscale suburban area, across the street from Trump's Doral. Beach? A real schlep, you're not close at all. A nice enough pool and the entire resort is along a man-made lake with large fountains along the edge which are sort of entertaining. It is on a landing approach to MIA so you'll see a lot of jets but they're pretty quiet on the approach; I wouldn't want to relax under them taking off but they really weren't very distracting. Covid was just breaking out when we were there, it was brand new so everyone was adjusting. I'd say that access to greater Miami and the relatively low point usage would be the key advantages. I much prefer Ocean Point, even over Oceana Palms, for the beach and inlet. It's a nice area to walk around, Oceana Palms really isn't. We really love Beachplace Towers for many reasons but for a while yet we're staying away from elevators and especially lines at the elevator. Great restaurants around Ft. Lauderdale, we love the beach view from high up and love walking up and down along the beach. Have you thought of the South Beach Pulse? It's a great location, fairly small and there's a great beach across the road, wonderful restaurants all around. I'm sure you're sorry about Auba, so are we but we've already booked for next January . . . hope springs eternal.

Very helpful, thank you! My drawback with the South Beach Pulse is the lack of a pool. I love the beach and swimming in the ocean, but sometimes it’s nice to just relax in a pool as well, so that kind of a deal breaker for me.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
For an II trade, Beachplace and Ocean Pointe are probably the easiest to get. THough in the new COVID era, Oceana Palms isn't as hard either but probably a rarer find in II.

As for which one is best, it really depends on personal preference. If you don't want to rent a car and just be able to walk to restaurants and such, Beachplace is ideal. An urban resort in Ft Lauderdale, lots to see and do right there, but it is across the street from the beach. The pool is also small and in the shade most of the afternoon. I have a few older videos of Beachplace Towers on my YouTube channel.

Ocean Pointe is a very large resort with lots of onsite activities and pools. Great beach but you have to either rent beach chairs (expensive IMO) from the vendor or buy your own somewhere. Or just toss out a towel. Most exchanges at Ocean Pointe will be confirmed into ocean side. Views aren't ideal. Mostly parking lot, though you can also see the ocean from most villas on the fourth floor or higher. Oceanfront sometimes comes through in a trade, but they aren't as common. You can guaranty an Oceanfront if you exchange into a 3BR. But again, low floors may only have peekaboo views of the ocean. I have some pretty recent videos from the past year from Ocean Pointe.

Oceana palms is two high rise towers about a mile north of Ocean Pointe. Beach chairs there are free and provided by the resort. There is a rental fee for umbrellas though, but it is great to have free beach chairs. Oceana Palms also has the issue with the pools being in the shade much of the afternoon. Time of year can play a part in this too. It isn't as bad as Beachplace Towers, but the pools at Ocean Pointe pretty much have sun all day, Oceana Palms not so much. All the villas at Ocean Pointe start at the 7th floor or above, so pretty much always a great view. THough the south views will have some obstruction due to the new Amrit Residences next door. So if you don't confirm into an Oceanfront villa, I suggest requesting a north view. Though south views may have more sun during the afternoon. We went to Oceana Palms three times this year, lots of videos from there.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We have been to Ocean Pointe, Oceana Palms and Beach Place. We have no interest in the Villas Doral because we don’t play golf and it’s not beach front.

Ocean Pointe and Oceana Palms are only a couple of miles apart and share the same beach. We emojify both but prefer Ocean Pointe’s location a little more. We like the easy access to the walkway up the inlet and the walking distance proximity to the Ocean Mall.

Oceana Palms has the nicer units with fantastic balcony’s and views of the ocean front villas. Oceana Palms has more of a “boutique hotel” feel. Small foot print and minimal resort grounds compared to Ocean Pointe.

Beachplace has a very small foot print and a more “urban” feel. The beach is across the street but has easy access. If you enjoy the night life and close proximity to good restaurants, it’s a great choice. For me it has more of an urban hotel feel than a resort feel. Great units and large studio units.

We own at Ocean Pointe and had considered buying at Oceana Palms when it opened. In the end we’ve stuck with Ocean Pointe, primarily because we prefer the larger, spread out resort feeling and, as mentioned before, the location.

With both Ocean Pointe and Oceana Palms we only book ocean front. Ocean Pointe side villas have lovely parking lot views and Oceana Palms south facing villas now have a lovely high rise next door. If we stayed in a side view Oceana Palms villa, we’d want the Sunrise tower to minimize the chance of looking directly into the Amarit property to the south.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
Appreciate any feedback on Doral? We have never been and access to the property seems easy through both points and II. I am a golfer but have done very little research on the property, location, courses, restaurants or closet beach if there is one. There must be some positives. Just looking for info at this time. Thanks in advance......
Doral is a very nice MVC...the main drawback as far as we were concerned was its distance to South beach...i believe it was about a 35 minute drive and parking near the beach was a hassle.

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doral is a very nice MVC...the main drawback as far as we were concerned was its distance to South beach...i believe it was about a 35 minute drive and parking near the beach was a hassle.

We went to a beach in a state park that was really nice but again, a great driving hassle but nothing beats walking out our door at Ocean Pointe and being on the beach. As we're staying away from flying right now, we drove down and brought our beach chairs with us, the garage is on the way to the beach so leaving them in the car was easy. We're more beach people but to give it its due, the pool at Doral is very nice.

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
"We like the easy access to the walkway up the inlet and the walking distance proximity to the Ocean Mall."

Absolutely. I have a three-mile loop that includes picking up a fresh bagel at that bagel place and taking a few side excursions to get the steps in. If only I was that active back at home <g>.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
All things considered I would pick Ocean Pointe although the units are nicer in Oceana Palms. We stayed at Doral once about 12 years ago. DW has family in Miami. I enjoyed playing golf there but would not go back again.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Is Hawaii (Maui) an option for you?

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have considered it. The logistics of getting there are a little tougher. Would have to fly to Oakland by connecting thru Denver or Phoenix, and then onto Maui from Oakland. Not impossible, and we have never been to Hawaii, but can’t decide if it’s worth the extra hoops with the flight and required Covid test.

For Florida we can fly nonstop to FLL or RSW so definitely a little easier logistically.

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace

Hawaii is truly awesome with the best snorkeling options right off the beach and really scenic areas to visit. But with the confirmed negative Covid test taken within 3 days of boarding your flight - just not worth the hassle/risk right now. We canceled our annual 8 week timeshare trip to Hawaii for Jan- Feb and booked exchanges to Palm Springs/Sedona instead for some hiking, etc. Of course, had to cancel that trip when CA closed to travel in mid- Dec and was able to use free Marriott retrade to Ocean Pointe for our current 2 week consecutive stay.

Covid has certainly changed timeshare travel and this will certainly be a memorable year. But at least, it allowed last minute availability for Ocean Pointe in January about a month in advance. You just need to check II online availability often and daily. Most availability is seen in the morning - so assume the weeks are posted at night. If you are on Central time in Ohio, you may have to get up early to check daily.

Good luck!

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would love if that one pops up, but not sure it will pop-up as a re-trade by April. If it does I would definitely jump at that one!
We own at Ocean Point and Oceana Palms but now convert them to points and mostly stay at Crystal Shores for our annual fall trips. The beach is much nicer and the area is more laid back. There is also a Costco near the RSW airport. If you luck into an exchange, you would likely be in the original building and may get a gulf front villa because the new buildings are all in the trust. There are several good restaurants within walking distance or a short drive. Oceana Palms and Ocean Point are also very nice, however the towers next door really diminish the pool experience.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

- Beachplace Towers
- Ocean Pointe
- Oceana Palms
For South FL I'd say Crystal Shores, Oceana Palms, Ocean Pointe then Beachplace; in that order. I wouldn't take Doral in this situation and would be reluctant for Legend's Edge. If you're averse to a renting a car then BP might be best. The good thing about these choices is that you could take one and retrade later if a better one popped up with some fairly central airports. If you're driving I might add Hilton Head to the list esp for the 3 newer properties there.