• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which Service Do You have Cable or Direct T.V?

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
If you have Direct T.V. are you happy with your service? Here is why I ask: I have had a bundle with cable for a while. I am now switching to Direct T.V, which breaks up by bundle, and now I must look for other services. So I am wondering if it is worth it to switch and if Direct T.V offers anything better than cable. I have till Friday morning to figure this out. Thanks!

Last edited:

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been a DirecTV customer since it was Prime Star....a long time ago, and we are happy with it! :)

NJCOBRA10tha

Reaction score
I was a long time Direct TV customer and was happy but recently switched to DISH NEtwork. They are another viable option.

Dish Network hands down has the best HD DVR period and is the only carrier currently offering 1080p video on demand.

Not trying to sway your decision either Dish or DirectTV is far better than the cable in my area.

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Animal Kingdom-AKV
I was a long time Direct TV customer and was happy but recently switched to DISH NEtwork. They are another viable option.

Dish Network hands down has the best HD DVR period and is the only carrier currently offering 1080p video on demand.

Not trying to sway your decision either Dish or DirectTV is far better than the cable in my area.

Thanks! Can you please explain 1080p video on demand?

Bill4728

Reaction score
We have Comcast Cable and a reasonably happy.

BUT I just found out that they are going to scamble all the signals above channel 30 starting about the same time the TV go digital. So all we will be able to get is the rebroadcast of the local stations and 15 shopping and community access channels unless you get a cable box. So if you want to watch ESPN, CNN or Fox news you must pay for digital service and get a cable box!! That is true even if you have a TV which has a digital tuner.

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have Direct TV and have for five years now and are very happy! :banana:

We moved here from Half Moon Bay Ca and had nothing but trouble with cable for ten years. Loss of service many times, limited channels,price raises and wait week for service many times.:annoyed:

Our daughter just moved into a apartment in Stockton Ca three months ago that has cable and she is already ticked off with it and their lack service and limited channels.

Wanted to have Direct TV and had them out the other day to check it out and could not have it because their patio faces north and they needed the dish to face south.

With a apartment the dish can only go on the patio's so she is stuck.:wall:

PHIL

Last edited:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've just switched to the regular antenna signal, and with the new digital format I've been very happy with it. Football and primetime TV shows come in High Def and best of all I can now use that savings ($75/month) on my TS maintenance fees!!! :)

I was happy with Dish and Direct TV and enjoyed the DVR/Tivo, but now I enjoy saving the extra $75 better! One other thing to watch, even though you'll start with a $29/month plan... somehow the bill was always around $75/month (extra connection, HD service, TivoDVR fees, taxes, etc., etc., etc.)

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Animal Kingdom-AKV
What is regular antenna service and how do you switch? Is that without any cable or Direct T.V. at all? Saving $75.00 a month sure sounds nice!

JillC

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have had Direct TV for about 4 years. We love it. We just upgraded to a DVR! Now I can record shows from the comfort of my own home or over the computer or cell phone.:banana:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is regular antenna service and how do you switch? Is that without any cable or Direct T.V. at all? Saving $75.00 a month sure sounds nice!

Yes, that's without cable or Direct TV or Dish. Obviously, you'll need to live in an area that has local channels accessible. But, I couldn't believe it when I saw the football game come across in High Def!

We also added Netflix (with Instant Viewing), and we're happier now with that then we were with Direct TV (and the $75/month).

So I guess I should clarify that we're not putting the whole $75 savings towards TS maintenance fees... but we are saving money by getting rid of that $75 Direct TV payment! :)

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score

You can check www.antennaweb.org to see what you might need where you live and which digital broadcast channels you are likely to get.

With some DVRs, you can mix both SAT or Cable and broadcast channels with an antenna input.

-David

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
We switched from Comcast to Direct TV this year because my husband wanted some more outdoor channels (hunting type stuff). We've been really happy so far.

I do wish we could watch another channel if we are recording something at the same time but so far we haven't figured out a way to do so. We could go in another room and watch it, I guess.

Aussiedog

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have had DIRECTV for over 10 years - love it but then we don't have the option of cable because we live too far off the main road.

They are offering some nice deals now to upgrade to HD.

Ann

Courts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Started with cable, went to Direct TV, then Dish, now just went to Verizon FIOS. :banana:

FIOS has this neat technology where you can download video from the internet to your computer and access it from the TV via the wireless router. Of course FIOS is only available in certain areas.

Present

Reaction score
What's Verizon FIOS?

I'll have to google it.:D

I have Comcast (forever) and hate it...the reception is terrible, cable & the internet go down frequently, customer service requires an endless wait to get surly reps who tell me my cable is not out when it is....I could go on endlessly.

I am seriously considering switching to either direct tv or Dish...because I HATE comcast :D

Jimbo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We switched from Comcast to Direct TV this year because my husband wanted some more outdoor channels (hunting type stuff). We've been really happy so far.

I do wish we could watch another channel if we are recording something at the same time but so far we haven't figured out a way to do so. We could go in another room and watch it, I guess.

We have DirecTV and love it. We record shows on 2 channels and watch something else we have taped. You should be able to do similarly.

Your reciever needs two cables comming into it but your installer should have set that up. We had one and they ran a second for us. It will also require a phone line connection into your receiver.

Send me a PM if I can be of any further help...

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
uhm .. I don't think so. But that's just me.

-David
I totally agree!

I have Comcast (forever) and hate it...the reception is terrible, cable & the internet go down frequently, customer service requires an endless wait to get surly reps who tell me my cable is not out when it is....I could go on endlessly.

I am seriously considering switching to either direct tv or Dish...because I HATE comcast :D
Here's the problem (or lack of it) I have. I live in a large development with almost 15,000 lots, but it is still mostly undeveloped with perhaps 1000 with houses. Comcast won't run lines here because it will not be profitable for them to do so. BUT, when they think we have enough people for it to be profitable, everyone will have satellite and not want cable, so it still won't be profitable.
I had Dish Network for over five years and dumped it for DirecTV, a good change IMHO.

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Animal Kingdom-AKV
Thanks everyone for some great information!

anteween

TUG Member
Reaction score

We can either record one channel and watch another or record two channels and watch a previously recorded show. We have Direct tv. It either has to do with the dish type or installation I am really not sure. We have had Direct tv for 4 or 5 years now.

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
Isn't FIOS tv provided by Direct TV? We don't have it yet but we have Direct TV and are thinking about bundling FIOS internet, TV, and phone.

I'll have to google it.:D