• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which Royal? Islander or Sands

Joan-OH

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those that know the Royals... If you were getting a one bedroom unit, would you pick the Islander or Sands? I have to choose between the two for May.

Joan-OH

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Caribbean, Royal Haciendas, Marriott Grand Chateau,
For those that know the Royals... If you were getting a one bedroom unit, would you pick the Islander or Sands? I have to choose between the two for May.

Joan-OH

Key point is that the RI is part of the Tri-Royals where you can use the pools and restaurants of all three resorts. IMO, the pool areas of the Tri-Royals are more "open" or slightly more "park-like" (emphasis on slightly) than the Sands where the buildings seem more close to the pools. The Sands is on it's own, but is close to the Hacienda Sisal Restaurant. The Sands also has a decent sports bar.

Some might say that the RS is closer to the Cancun "action" than the Tris, but the difference is not that significant. And, some feel that the Sands has a more youthful clientele, but I've never seen that much of a difference.

You really can't go wrong either way. Units are very similar and the amenities are practically the same.

Mike

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
My wife and I stayed at the Sands a two years ago in a 1 BR and loved it. We've never stayed at the others, but we did walk through the properties. We preferred the look of the Sands. I can still picture standing in the lobby and looking out over the pool area to the beautiful ocean. Amazing!

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
MJM1 is right about the awesome view from the lobby in the Sands. It's not something you're going to spend the week doing, but the planning that went into the continuous blue view from pools to sea to sky is indeed amazing.

The units are basically the same, as stated above.

With the Tris, you have more pool areas and more restaurants on-site to choose from, and if you have little ones, the kiddie pool at the Caribbean (right next to the Islander) is probably the best of the kiddie pools counting all the Royals. If you like pool volleyball, the net is always up at the Caribbean, and the beach volleyball net is also always up - not sure about the Sands.

At the Sands, you have a great spa, and also a lap pool. I dislike the HUGE Sands pool; the chairs are in multiple rows and it's not as personal, not as conducive to conversation groups as the set-up around the curvy pools at the Tris or the curvy pool at Phase II of the Sands.

Tris have more and prettier landscaping.

Sands has a nicer activity center.

You can't go wrong either way, but whichever you go to, be sure to hop the free shuttle for a day at the other!

Last edited:

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Depends on what you like to do at the resort. I have always found it easier to get beach or pool seating at the Tri's. I've never felt that comfortable at the Sands.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We loved the spa at the Sands, but preferred the pool atmosphere at the Tris (we stayed at the Carribbean.) Also preferred the Happy Hour scene at the Royal Mayan (part of the Tris.)

You really can't go wrong, however, because if you don't like the set-up--jump on the shuttle and spend the day at the other! This is *the best* aspect of The Royals, IMHO.....I wish Marriott would adopt this policy with their HHI resorts!

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Depends on what you like to do at the resort. I have always found it easier to get beach or pool seating at the Tri's. I've never felt that comfortable at the Sands.

I wonder why that is? :confused: Even though we really like the RS, we've felt that the other owners/guests were friendlier at the Tri's or even RH.

Mike

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Sands is too mega-resort for my liking. I really don't care too much for it. To each their own.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Sands is too mega-resort for my liking. I really don't care too much for it. To each their own.

If you think the Sands is like a mega-resort do not go to the Grand Mayan, Mayan Palace, Grand Luxxe property. It was enormous. You had to use a shuttle to go anywhere. I have a great sense of direction and since we actually never had a tour of the property I could not figure out where I was---even the last day.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Royal Sands is awesome!

We have only been to the Royal Sands and Royal Haciendas. We totally loved both, especially the Sands.

Here is the view we had from our room:
IMG_2742.jpg

5a713359.jpg

You cannot go wrong with the Royal Sands, IMO.

H

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
My wife and I stayed at the Sands a two years ago in a 1 BR and loved it. We've never stayed at the others, but we did walk through the properties. We preferred the look of the Sands. I can still picture standing in the lobby and looking out over the pool area to the beautiful ocean. Amazing!

We were there in 2010, same as you, 1BR. My opinion is exactly as yours. I would not hesitate to return to the Sands if I were going back to Cancun and take the shuttle to visit the other resorts.

Jim

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How is the beach at RH? We are interested in Playa.
It's nice, but it's not the same as the Cancun resort's beaches. The actual beach is not as wide from door to water, but the benefit is that it is ground level to ocean-front units and you can be just a few steps away from a palapa. Also, the pools are on the same level as the beach. The ocean floor has some more rocks than what you find at Cancun. On the other hand, you can do some limited snorkeling at RH. The wave action typically is much less at the RH and Playa beaches since Cozumel is located to the east.

There are pluses and minuses to both areas. We're happy at either.

Mike

Helene4

TUG Member
Reaction score
How is the beach at RH? We are interested in Playa.

The beach is great, not eroded. The water is MUCH calmer, so if you have small children (or a knee replacement like I do!) you can get in and actually swim. The water in Cancun is much rougher. The Haciendas has Cozumel as a buffer for the waves, so they are not too big. The waves in Cancun at the Sands and the Tri-Royals is direct ocean. The Royal Cancun (the old VCI) is buffered by Isla Mujeres so their waves are comparable to the Haciendas.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score

We loved the spa at the Sands, but preferred the pool atmosphere at the Tris (we stayed at the Carribbean.) Also preferred the Happy Hour scene at the Royal Mayan (part of the Tris.)

You really can't go wrong, however, because if you don't like the set-up--jump on the shuttle and spend the day at the other! This is *the best* aspect of The Royals, IMHO.....I wish Marriott would adopt this policy with their HHI resorts!

I wonder why that is? :confused: Even though we really like the RS, we've felt that the other owners/guests were friendlier at the Tri's or even RH.

Mike

+1.

I think it has to do with the pool and chair layout and landscaping; the curvier pools at the RM, RC, and RI invite more personal groupings than the several-rows-deep chairs at the huge straight-sided pool at RS Phase I. The Tris also seem more family-oriented; there are plenty of families at the RS and plenty of not-families at the Tris, but the Tris just seem family-friendlier, the RS more impersonal. The RM pool bar and palapa bar are the friendliest of all, possibly because they're in the middle of everything rather than off in a corner? Or maybe it's because the older resorts have more regulars who know each other, staff as well as members. For whatever reason, I think the Tris have developed more of a personality over the years than the Sands.

SDMiller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Beach at Royal Haciendas

Momeason - to see the beach look at the reviews and pictures on Tripadvisor.com.

SD

Joan-OH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for your comments on the two resorts. As it happens, we will not be going this year. :-(

Joan-OH