• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which RCI resort in Kauai do you prefer?

bccash63

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking at traveling in august with my 21 yr old daughter, 1st time to kauai/Hawaii for both of us. RCI has availability at Lawai Beach Resort and Kauai beach villas(southern end).
And in Princeville; The cliffs club, Wyndham bali hai, and wyndham ka'eo kai,. Would be interested to hear your preferences, favorite resort you have stayed at.
thank-you, dawn

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I think you mean Kauai.

dude-luv

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I currently own at Lawai Beach and the Cliffs and have stayed at the other three resorts you mentioned. Wyndham Bali Hai is right across the street from the Cliffs. In fact, recently I spent a week at Bali Hai and then moved across the street to the Cliffs for the next week. I stayed for a week at Wyndham Ka'ei Kai a number of years ago but despite looking quite decent on the outside, it was quite run down at the time. I swore I would never return. Hopefully, they have fixed the roofs, the sliding doors, the insect infestation and a host of other problems.

Lawai Beach Resort is well run. The people who work there are great but there is often re-construction going on due to a 'spalling' problem. I like the location of the resort and find that it is central to most daily outings the you can plan. Kauai Beach Villas was different. Some people may prefer Kauai Beach Villas but I prefer Lawai Beach Resort.

Of the five, my favourite resort is the Cliffs. I own a loft unit and usually get a great view of the ocean. If you can choose two of the five (e.g., if you are there for
two weeks), I would choose either Bali Hai (which is very nice) or the Cliffs (which I prefer) for one week and one of the other two in the south. Princeville is a different experience than Koloa (or the southern coast). My least favourite area is around Kapaa (I find it too congested and busy). Others may not agree with my choices and I respect that. I have been to Kauai so many times that my game plan now is to just relax and de-stress. I have done several helicopter tours, excursions, hikes, tours, etc and unless something really inspires me now, I just go for long walks, enjoy a few restaurants and take in the beauty, the color and the great Hawaiian spirit.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
I am looking at traveling in august with my 21 yr old daughter, 1st time to kauai/Hawaii for both of us. RCI has availability at Lawai Beach Resort and Kauai beach villas(southern end).
And in Princeville; The cliffs club, Wyndham bali hai, and wyndham ka'eo kai,. Would be interested to hear your preferences, favorite resort you have stayed at.
thank-you, dawn
Aloha,
If air conditioning is important, then by August this year all units at Kauai Beach Villas will have whole unit A/C. (One upside of covid-19 impact is the contractor's accelerated installation due to so many cancellations of his other work) There is no A/C at Lawaii Beach Resort. Both are fine resorts. Both have convenient access to a beach, but the beach at KBV is rarely swimmable although it is far more suitable for long beach walks.
All the resorts you mentioned are fine facilities.
Jack

bccash63

TUG Member
Reaction score
I currently own at Lawai Beach and the Cliffs and have stayed at the other three resorts you mentioned. Wyndham Bali Hai is right across the street from the Cliffs. In fact, recently I spent a week at Bali Hai and then moved across the street to the Cliffs for the next week. I stayed for a week at Wyndham Ka'ei Kai a number of years ago but despite looking quite decent on the outside, it was quite run down at the time. I swore I would never return. Hopefully, they have fixed the roofs, the sliding doors, the insect infestation and a host of other problems.

Lawai Beach Resort is well run. The people who work there are great but there is often re-construction going on due to a 'spalling' problem. I like the location of the resort and find that it is central to most daily outings the you can plan. Kauai Beach Villas was different. Some people may prefer Kauai Beach Villas but I prefer Lawai Beach Resort.

Of the five, my favourite resort is the Cliffs. I own a loft unit and usually get a great view of the ocean. If you can choose two of the five (e.g., if you are there for
two weeks), I would choose either Bali Hai (which is very nice) or the Cliffs (which I prefer) for one week and one of the other two in the south. Princeville is a different experience than Koloa (or the southern coast). My least favourite area is around Kapaa (I find it too congested and busy). Others may not agree with my choices and I respect that. I have been to Kauai so many times that my game plan now is to just relax and de-stress. I have done several helicopter tours, excursions, hikes, tours, etc and unless something really inspires me now, I just go for long walks, enjoy a few restaurants and take in the beauty, the color and the great Hawaiian spirit.
In RCI I see avail for both The Cliffs Resort and The Cliffs Club. Are these the same resort? Thx

dude-luv

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The resort is called the Cliffs (at Princeville). The two prime associations at the Cliffs are The Cliffs Resort and the Cliffs Club. The Cliffs Club occupies many more units at the resort but bookings by members of The Cliffs Club are restricted to one of three seasons during the year. So, your deed with the Cliffs Club specifies which season (each season has a formal name) but roughly Jan-April, May-August and September-December that you can reserve a week in. With The Cliffs Resort, the inventory available is much more restricted but you can book from January through to December. I have owned in both but currently own with the Cliffs Resort. With the Cliffs Resort you can book by telephone in real time (because of the limited inventory) but with The Cliff's Club you submit your request by email or by a fill-in-form and wait to see if it is approved. It must be noted that you can book more than 2 years ahead (within a calendar year) but you must have paid the maintenance fees for that year before you can reserve. So, for example, in March, 2020, you can book December, 2022 (more than 2 years in advance) with the Cliffs Resort as long as you have prepaid the maintenance fees. By requiring a person to pre-pay the maintenance fees before booking 2 years in advance, you stop many people from just booking time without a commitment (which is a big problem at Lawai Beach--where I also own). But that is another discussion.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We want to try Lawai Beach sometime. I can get that through htse.net. I would go for three weeks next time to Kauai because two weeks is not enough to see everything and also relax. I will look into that for 2022, perhaps. Thanks for the recommendation.

We usually love Shearwater, but it's been tough to get lately. Rick would say to always try for Shearwater first, but I am willing to try others.