• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which one trades better? SBP platinum 2br L/O...or...WMH gold 2br L/O?

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out which one of these would make more sense to buy? I'm curious to know what others here think about the trading power of these two when compared with each other.

Any difference??? They're worth the same SO's if retroed, but what about in II?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Josh - on thing that might help you is to look through the old Sightings threads, because that will show you which owners could "see" the Starwood units that were available on II and what resort they used to search with.

You can save time by using the search function on the Sightings Board (search this forum button) and searching for Starwood resorts by name. In the last few months there have been sightings for lagunamar, WKORV, WKORVN, SDO, and WPORV, to name a few.

Last edited:

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
And here's another question I have about the exact same two weeks...

Would it make one bit of difference which one you owned if you were to retro one of them into SVN? Other than the fact that you can book 8-12 months out, the SO's are exactly the same and spend the same in SVN. However, would there be an advantage to one over the other if you chose to deposit them in II? Does Starwood have a tendency to deposit at least from the same resort you own, or is it really just that they deposit whatever they feel like depositing regardless of where you own? If they never deposit summer weeks at SBP for example, then what is the advantage in II of owning a platinum week there over owning a gold week at WMH?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Would it make one bit of difference which one you owned if you were to retro one of them into SVN? Other than the fact that you can book 8-12 months out, the SO's are exactly the same and spend the same in SVN. However, would there be an advantage to one over the other if you chose to deposit them in II? Does Starwood have a tendency to deposit at least from the same resort you own, or is it really just that they deposit whatever they feel like depositing regardless of where you own? If they never deposit summer weeks at SBP for example, then what is the advantage in II of owning a platinum week there over owning a gold week at WMH?

Very astute questions. If you're planning on requalifying, then I would buy the least expensive week that gets you the most StarOptions. Because as you mention, it doesn't matter where your SOs come from if you're reserving at a resort other than your home resort.

I don't think there's much of a difference between these resorts in II, but I'm not absolutely certain since I only own WMH. All I know is that my silver WMH weeks pull great resorts in II - and sometimes (like this year) Starwood deposits weeks for me that are outside my season (I got March WMH weeks), which may have improved my results at II.

I think it's best to have a Platinum (148,100) week to requalify solely for the ability to reserve other SVN properties. Save yourself the money, and buy the least expensive unit to requalify (that has enough SOs for you...).

My $0.02. :)

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's best to have a Platinum (148,100) week to requalify solely for the ability to reserve other SVN properties. Save yourself the money, and buy the least expensive unit to requalify (that has enough SOs for you...).

Thanks Ken. That's what I'm trying to do. I know it's best to buy a resale that has 148,100 SO's, but it's just not in my budget right now. The 81k SO resales are, so that's what I have to deal with. Is it your experience that they usually deposit WMH weeks with your WMH silver - or do they deposit just whatever week at whatever property?

I'm trying to justify one over the other and I am having a hard time coming up with an answer other than just by the cheap one. The WMH would be about $450 a year higher in MF's, so it would have to somehow be worth it.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Is it your experience that they usually deposit WMH weeks with your WMH silver - or do they deposit just whatever week at whatever property?

Others have reported SVN depositing other resorts than their own; I haven't had this happen to me. My impression is that WMH Silver is worth the least amount of those in SVN, and since they deposit so many weeks each year into II from this resort, that I doubt I'd get anything else.

I'm trying to justify one over the other and I am having a hard time coming up with an answer other than just by the cheap one. The WMH would be about $450 a year higher in MF's, so it would have to somehow be worth it.

Save your $$$ and buy the cheaper one.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
From what I have learned here on TUG, if you are going to retro a unit and go for the SOs, then depositing that week into II isn't so desirable because you can't pick your week. If you want to deposit a strong week into II, then don't retro it. I think that from what I have read, a Gold WMH and a Plat SBP both trade well. One has higher MFs.

So retro units that you want SOs for, and buy another for II trading. That's my 2 cents.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Josh - I think you know this, but since you only want 81k SOs right now, then you should focus on just the Platinum 1Bed Premium units as they have less MFs than the 2BDs and the same amount of SOs as the Gold 2Beds.

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Josh - I think you know this, but since you only want 81k SOs right now, then you should focus on just the Platinum 1Bed Premium units as they have less MFs than the 2BDs and the same amount of SOs as the Gold 2Beds.

I know. I wish I could find one. Anyone have a plat 1br worth 81k SO's they would sell me??? Let me rephrase that. Anyone have a plat 1br worth 81k SO's that they want to sell me cheap? LOL!

myip

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would take 2 bdrm LO in SBP... Maintenance fees is cheaper... -> you can later on upgrade it to the new phrase and retr'd another unit.

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would take 2 bdrm LO in SBP... Maintenance fees is cheaper... -> you can later on upgrade it to the new phrase and retr'd another unit.

Agreed, but the one I was watching last night went for WAAAAAY too much compared to other recent sales...$2,501. I have been actively watching SBP's on EBay for weeks now and they have been selling for much less...much.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Agreed, but the one I was watching last night went for WAAAAAY too much compared to other recent sales...$2,501. I have been actively watching SBP's on EBay for weeks now and they have been selling for much less...much.

The one last weekend went for $2425...not much difference there. It seems like $2500 or so is the going rate at the moment. I hadn't seen many 2 BD LOs during the past year with 2009 occupancy, which is more desirable than being stuck with 2008 fees and no time to use the week. That is still a great price considering that SDO 2B LOs 1-52 go for more and have similar trading strength, the same SOs upon requal, and similar MFs.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club

I don't have the latest 2 bd LO SPB listed yet, but $2500 seems ok to me based on my records:

5/14/2006 2 bd LO EY Plat (1-52) 3,050
7/30/2006 2 bd LO EY Plat (1-52) 3,250
8/7/2006 2 bd LO EY Plat 3,450
9/19/2006 2 bd LO EY Plat (1-52) 3,956
10/29/2006 2 bd LO EY Plat 3,347
3/14/2007 2 bd LO EY Plat 2,346
8/25/2007 2 bd LO EY Plat 3,650
10/28/2007 2 bd LO EY Plat 2,946
2/10/2008 2 bd LO EY Plat 1,375
3/12/2008 2 bd LO EY Plat 2,550
7/29/2008 2 bd LO EY Plat 2,926
9/20/2008 2 bd LO EY Plat 2,425

Are you getting mixed up with 2 bd non-LO units?

Those show up much more frequently, and do sell for less:

1/22/2008 2 bd (sm) EY Platinum 1,337
2/11/2008 2 bd (sm) EY Platinum 2,550
3/4/2008 2 bd (sm) EY Platinum 2,325
3/11/2008 2 bd (sm) EY Platinum 1,725
3/17/2008 2 bd (sm) EY Platinum 1,725
3/23/2008 2 bd (sm) EY Platinum 2,550
3/31/2008 2 bd (sm) EY Platinum 2,550
4/6/2008 2 bd (sm) EY Platinum 2,125
4/16/2008 2 bd (sm) EY Platinum 2,150
5/10/2008 2 bd (sm) EY Platinum 3,051
5/12/2008 2 bd (sm) EY Platinum 2,346
5/24/2008 2 bd (sm) EY Platinum 1,781
6/8/2008 2 bd (sm) EY Platinum 1,527
7/23/2008 2 bd sm EY Plat 1,481
7/28/2008 2 bd sm EY Plat 1,701
7/31/2008 2 bd sm EY Plat 2,620
8/9/2008 2 bd sm EY Plat 1,926
8/17/2008 2 bd sm EY Plat 2,128
9/1/2008 2 bd sm EY Plat 1,575
9/5/2008 2 bd sm EY Plat 2,152
9/13/2008 2 bd sm EY Plat 2,022
9/15/2008 2 bd sm EY Plat 863

Glorian

Last edited:

James1975NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out which one of these would make more sense to buy? I'm curious to know what others here think about the trading power of these two when compared with each other.

Any difference??? They're worth the same SO's if retroed, but what about in II?

Josh....you can go on II's website and look at their demand index chart for both properties. www.intervalworld.com

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very astute questions. If you're planning on requalifying, then I would buy the least expensive week that gets you the most StarOptions. Because as you mention, it doesn't matter where your SOs come from if you're reserving at a resort other than your home resort.

I don't think there's much of a difference between these resorts in II, but I'm not absolutely certain since I only own WMH. All I know is that my silver WMH weeks pull great resorts in II - and sometimes (like this year) Starwood deposits weeks for me that are outside my season (I got March WMH weeks), which may have improved my results at II.

Agree 100% with what Ken said above. :) GMTA Katherine

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
TDI is geography based, not resort specific.
It tries to weigh relative travel demand (against supply) for that travel region during each week of the year.

James1975NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
TDI is geography based, not resort specific.
It tries to weigh relative travel demand (against supply) for that travel region during each week of the year.

Very interesting. I appreciate the feedback. So....when using this graph, use it only to determing which weeks trade better for that area.

Being an analytical person, I would think that the demand for Altoona would be at best a 25 while Aruba wouldbe 200 (as an example).

I suppose the term "relative" is important.

Thank you all for the feedback!