• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

which marriott platinum lock off Offers good value?

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I am looking to buy an EYO or annual lock off that trades well into other Marriotts during platinum season for the Marriott I would trade into. I came across a Canyon Villas and Grand Vista that seem very reasonable. Reasonable cost and MF is not a bad thing. I would like some practical experience on the trade value for for these resorts or any others that lock off. The plan is to turn the unit into a studio and 1 BR and use it in gift my kids vacations every year unit I am ready for retirement. I am moving away from the advice I normally give which is buy where you enjoy going at least 50 percent of the time. Other than not using it in Palm Springs and Orlando, I have nothing specifically in mind for trades.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
I own a 3 bedroom EOY Even lock off at Marriott Grande Vista and it may be a good choice (Platinum) that is part of the Florida Club (this gives you the op to trade directly at 6 months prior to check in at some other Florida resorts) this can give you a studio plus when you trade the 2 bedroom side in a Florida club unit for a 2 bedroom lock off. The 3 bedroom gives you options for higher trade value for tougher trades as well as locking off into a 2 bedroom and studio.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shadow ridge enclaves is good because the 2br lockoff can be split into two 1BRs.

Ryan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Perhaps the best of all is a 3BR Grand Chateau because it locks off into a 2BR and a 1BR and all weeks except week 51 are Platinum. Maintenance fees are higher than the Grande Vista 3BR but I think it is worth it to avoid the studio. Others may disagree. I think the 3BR Grande Vista would be my second choice.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looking to stay with a lock off of studio and 1 BR or 2 1 BR since it is my wife and I once in retirement in 3 years or less. Until than, my kids can use as 2 BR or lock offs. Both are unmarried now and mostly likely I will be retired before either one is married with a baby.

I will look up Florida club....read about it in past but didn't retain info.

Guidance on what challenges encountered with either Vista or Canyon when going from/to platinum elsewhere.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the best of all is a 3BR Grand Chateau because it locks off into a 2BR and a 1BR and all weeks except week 51 are Platinum. Maintenance fees are higher than the Grande Vista 3BR but I think it is worth it to avoid the studio. Others may disagree. I think the 3BR Grande Vista would be my second choice.

The fee isn't that high considering the equivalent alternative. It would actually cost more in fees to purchase a 2BR and a 1BR at Grande Vista. The fee is too expensive if you are not locking off though since the GV 3BR unit is cheaper and II will not recognize the intact GC unit as superior. For most it boils down to need and affordability.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Guidance on what challenges encountered with either Vista or Canyon when going from/to platinum elsewhere.

The problem with using any unit to trade to prime during prime is going to be availability, especially when targeting a specific week or a small range of weeks. Trading like for like size will greatly increase the success of a request.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own both Shadow Ridge and Canyon Villas.
Usually I am offered AC for both sides (Studio and 1Br).
Have not have any trouble getting trades an I want and usually I am able to trade up getting 1 and 2 bdrm (even on lock-off locations).

For some reasons the Shadow seems to be a better trader sometimes.
Which is strange because it seems to have a much larger high demand index time.

The downsides to shadow are the two separate bills (you pay tax directly).

Canyon is my favorite locations and if you have multiple weeks, getting Spring Break/Spring training is a great time.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Thanks for the suggestion on the 3 BR that locks off as a 1 BR and a 2 BR. We are now leaning in this direction. I am in the process of giving away my Non marriott week (2 BR ) with a MF of about 680. I am looking for a 3br eyo which will give me more value FOR a small incremental cost to MF.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Thanks for the suggestion on the 3 BR that locks off as a 1 BR and a 2 BR. We are now leaning in this direction. I am in the process of giving away my Non marriott week (2 BR ) with a MF of about 680. I am looking for a 3br eyo which will give me more value FOR a small incremental cost to MF.

We have had great success locking off and exchanging our 3BR MGV, especially the studio portion. We have been able to see uptrades all the way to 3BR units using the studio (especially within 60 days of our desired travel dates). I can see the benefits of having a unit that locks off 2BR/1BR, but at least for us I'm not convinced that it would trade better (in most places).

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have had great success locking off and exchanging our 3BR MGV, especially the studio portion. We have been able to see uptrades all the way to 3BR units using the studio (especially within 60 days of our desired travel dates). I can see the benefits of having a unit that locks off 2BR/1BR, but at least for us I'm not convinced that it would trade better (in most places).

This is kind of an experiment. I just gave away a non marriott week that use to trade on par with marriott for the first 15 years of my 20 ownership. The last 5, it was harder to trade for marriott (but doable). Not sure if the reasons are the point program, my availability to only trade prime time (my wife works in a school) or just the resort I owned. I am looking for a more consistent and predictable trader. I believe either resort will work but a 2 br/1 br lockout might give me more consistent predicable results.

If I am wrong and it was not my resort but the other factors, my experiment failed. The two biggest factors given it is an experiment are initial cost and EOY starting even year availability of a 3 br so I have not ruled out MGV 100%.

Thanks for the feedback.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our Grand Chateau 2 Bed Lock off EOY has been our best "Trader" purchase.
As others suggest, with the benefit of hindsight we would probably have bought a 3 Bed Every year unit, but we are still very pleased with what ours offers.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think it is harder all around, even with a Marriott to get prime and near prime locations and times in larger units 6+ months in advance. If Orlando is your cup of tea then that doesn't apply. I don't follow the desert California/Arizonia units so I can't comment on those.

I've been using an EOY Marriott Branson to trade into Easter SC but I realized that my $450MF Sheraton 1br ($300 or less buy in) pulls just about the same. Most years I will end up in the non ocean front but during that time of year, Harbour Town and Shelter Cove are quite nice.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am still waiting for my sold (given away) legacy week to close before I take on more MF. Funny, I had it for 20 years and never stayed at it, but it was such a good trader over the years that I am getting sellers remorse. While the trading value is not what it use to be, it sill trades for Marriott's as long as I am flexible. My 2015 week got me a studio at Ocean Pointe starting 12/24 and my 2014 week got me a 2 BR at Aruba Surf last year mid Sept. The MF for 2016 is only 683. This being said, once transferred, I am moving forward.

I am going with EOY and have narrowed it to 2 BR Grand Vista (GV), 2 BR Marriott Canyon Villas (CV), 3 BR Grand Vista or 3 BR Grand Chateau (GC). As of Friday I found a 2 BR EOY GV for about 2800, a 3 BR EOY GC for about 4300. I have not found a 3BR GV or 2 BR CV. Who knows what will be available when my legacy week closes.

Though I am getting the EOY platinum unit to trade, I would like to solicit opinions on renting at these resorts. The times my wife and I go outside of timeshares, we rent our Marriott for MF plus to apply towards this. I looked on Redweek for rentals but I know this is misleading because the rented never posts the price actually received. My gut tells me the 2 BR GV is difficult to cover MF, the 2 BR CV is easy and both the 3 BR's can cover because of size.

Can anyone offer practical experience for renting these units?

Thanks in advance.

Deej82

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know there's lots of rental inventory out there for MGV, but even as an owner there I usually pull getaways through II or use half of my MHB to trade into Orlando. Unless you are looking for peak Christmas-New Years or Spring Break, II is usually my cheapest path. XYZ's were always plentiful in Orlando for non-holidays.. hope Pick 2 follows suit. Lots of cheaper options as an owner to get there.... saying nothing about owning there. My 3BR MGV Plat is great as a trader or for DC points.

Last edited:

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own 2 bedroom platinum Grand Chateau and Grande Vista. Both trade well but I think Grande Vista little better.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
"We own 2 bedroom platinum Grand Chateau and Grande Vista. Both trade well but I think Grande Vista little better."

Have you tried renting the unit? As mentioned, we sometimes rent to get back MF plus. I would trade off a little less trading power for at least getting back MF on rental.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Just for chuckles, take a look at the sightings I posted today....I didn't post half of them. Mighty nice pickins with Marriott pref.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
"We own 2 bedroom platinum Grand Chateau and Grande Vista. Both trade well but I think Grande Vista little better."

Have you tried renting the unit? As mentioned, we sometimes rent to get back MF plus. I would trade off a little less trading power for at least getting back MF on rental.

My guess is that Las Vegas and Orlando are basically equal in potential rentals (both would be hard to get much as a consistent rental)

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Appreciate the input.

I purchased a 2 BR EOY Odd at the Grand Chateau on Ebay for 1725 with all closing costs included. It took one week for the waiver form to be send and returned. I was skeptical with buying a timeshare on Ebay but so far it seems to be moving along. I guess I will not really know until the end of the process.

I have 2 boys (24 and 27) that are already looking to go to Vegas. I have a feeling I will only own the MF and not the trade value on this unit.

Again thanks for the input.