• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which HGVC Waikoloa 1BR?

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We just returned from our first Hawaii trip in eight years (ninth overall) and have decided to go back in February 2020. We've booked a week on Maui at Marriott's Maui Ocean Club and are planning to book a second week in Waikoloa using our HGVC points when Club Season opens in six weeks or so.

We've stayed at HGVC Kohala Suites three or four times, so we would like to try Kings Land or the Bay Club. I've read many of the threads on this topic, but still have some questions. Here are a few of our likes/dislikes:
  • I don't really want to pay the high point costs for Kings Land Phase 1/3, so it's either Bay Club or the smaller/lower point units in Kings Land Phase 2/3.
  • We will only need a 1BR, and recognize those overlook parking. That's not ideal, but it is what it is.
  • We do not like ground floor units. We would prefer a higher floor. As a result, the 1BR Penthouse units at Bay Club seem appealing.
  • Having the larger Bay Club lanai would be nice, but we love a sunset view and it looks like the Bay Club lanais all face north/northeast, so no sunsets.
  • Kings Land has the nice pool bar and adults-only pool, so that is very appealing versus the smaller pool at Bay Club.
  • Is there a way to guarantee a second or third floor unit in Kings Land Phase 2? We wouldn't want to be stuck in Phase 3 since access to the adult pool and pool bar would be the main attraction at Kings Land.
  • Kings Land's access to the Hilton Waikoloa hotel would not be a major consideration.
Based on all this, using 4800 points to try to book a Bay Club 1BR Penthouse seems appealing, but Kings Land sounds like it has the resort atmosphere that we tend to like.

Another option would be to bite the bullet and use 7000 points to book a 2BR if we could avoid the parking lot view. Not sure if that really makes sense, or if that would for sure avoid a parking view.

So, for those with experience at Bay Club and Kings Land, what advice/tips can you offer?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
You can definitely book one of the smaller 1BR Plus units, that should get you off the ground and up to 2nd or 3rd floor. However those units are in both phase 2 and 3, so its probably a phone call to resort requesting the phase 2 buildings. Obviously not guaranteed, but I have had pretty good success with requests at Kings Land.

jmann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World
Not sure if they still do this but when we stayed at bay club you could go to kings land and use the pool for a daily rate. I don't think you could use the hotel pool though which we have done at kings land. We have stayed at kohola and bay club and they are much different than kings land but we ended up really loving both of them.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
You can definitely book one of the smaller 1BR Plus units, that should get you off the ground and up to 2nd or 3rd floor. However those units are in both phase 2 and 3, so its probably a phone call to resort requesting the phase 2 buildings. Obviously not guaranteed, but I have had pretty good success with requests at Kings Land.

The online descriptions of the BR1 (standard/Phase 2/3) and BP1 (Plus/Phase 2/3) are identical and don't seem to specify first floor or second floor. Both descriptions just say "some with a garden or resort view." Are you saying that booking BP1 guarantees second floor? I wouldn't want to spend 6200 points for a 1 bedroom and still get ground floor. But looking at a satellite view and my "Photographers Ephemeris" app, it does look like that second floor in building 22 "might" have a bit of a sunset view as the balcony faces northwest. But I would have to request and get building 22.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
You won't get a sunset view from a 1 BR at the Bay Club, as they all face the parking lot in a North East direction. But even the 1 BRs have very large lanais. But if you requested Building 1 you are really pretty close to the HWV and walking out there for sunset is a great option.

Phase 2 and Phase 3 reduced lower point units go first, so you need to be quick to book them. You could put in a request for a higher floor but in the end they are just requests. I agree that Phase 2 would be a better choice than Phase 3.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
The online descriptions of the BR1 (standard/Phase 2/3) and BP1 (Plus/Phase 2/3) are identical and don't seem to specify first floor or second floor. Both descriptions just say "some with a garden or resort view." Are you saying that booking BP1 guarantees second floor? I wouldn't want to spend 6200 points for a 1 bedroom and still get ground floor. But looking at a satellite view and my "Photographers Ephemeris" app, it does look like that second floor in building 22 "might" have a bit of a sunset view as the balcony faces northwest. But I would have to request and get building 22.

We mostly stay in phase 1, but i believe the same guidelines apply.

BR1 is always the 1st floor. That the floor we prefer, but understand your preference for higher floor.

BP1 should be the 2nd or 3rd floor. The floorplans and amenities are the same as ground floor, but the extra points are for the higher floor.

Thus the BP1 should get you a higher floor, however since these all face the parking lot, your facing the wrong way for sunsets.

I am not certain about phase 3, but from what i have heard your would need a 2 bedroom to face the right direction in phase 2, so i assume the same rules apply.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Thus the BP1 should get you a higher floor, however since these all face the parking lot, your facing the wrong way for sunsets.

Maybe not. The orange line in the attached image points to the sunset direction next February, so Building 22 might have a slight sunset view to the far left when looking off the balcony, since the parking lot views in that building face northwest. Though given all the other options where we could wind up, it would seem something that we obviously can't count on.

IMG_B02789BE1CC3-1.jpeg

So, it sounds like our options are:

1) Book Bay Club 1BR Penthouse for 4800 points and be assured of top (third) floor, but no sunset view. Go to A-Bay for sunsets.
2) Book a BP1 at Kings Land for 6200 points for second floor and access to Kings Land adult pool and pool bar, and request/hope for a partial sunset view in Bldg 22; otherwise see A-Bay in #1, above.

So the question we need to answer for ourselves is, are the KL pools, and a "possibility" of a partial sunset balcony view worth 1400 points to us? Not sure. Need to think about it. Still have six weeks or so to decide.

Last edited:

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
We have stayed at WBR twice. The first time was at Bay Club in a corner 2BD unit with a lovely large wrap-around lanai on the 2nd floor overlooking the golf course. Our building was opposite the smaller pool and we really liked it. The second visit was two years ago at Kings' Land. We were there in a 1BP for two weeks in an almost brand new end-unit in building 24 on the third (top) floor. It was 6200 points per week. We actually ended up really liking the location.

Our unit was right next to the phase 3 pool between buildings 24 and 25. Even though the main pool in phase 1 is larger and has an adult area and the pool bar, we hardly used it, since the phase 3 pool was also quite nice and so convenient. On the few occasions when we went to the main pool, we would usually just catch the shuttle outside our building to get to the main building. Most of the time we would walk back and it was only about 10 minutes.

Even though we faced the parking lot, we hardly noticed it because there is lots of landscaping between the building and the parking area, and the parking is set further back from the building than in phase 2. We were also far enough towards Kohala Suites and Bay Club, and high enough up, that we looked out over the golf course to the north across the road. And the bonus was we could even see some ocean beyond the course! We would not hesitate to ask for it again.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

topdog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Book a 2 bedroom at Bay Club for 7000 points. Huge lanai, big unit. We stayed in Bldg 2 or 3 there, second floor. Short walk to the hotel or take the shuttle, great view of the golf course. We enjoyed breakfast every day on the lanai reading the newspaper and watching the occasional golfers. Go somewhere for drinks or dinner with a sunset view.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Book a 2 bedroom at Bay Club for 7000 points. Huge lanai, big unit. We stayed in Bldg 2 or 3 there, second floor. Short walk to the hotel or take the shuttle, great view of the golf course. We enjoyed breakfast every day on the lanai reading the newspaper and watching the occasional golfers. Go somewhere for drinks or dinner with a sunset view.

Any specific reason - other than avoiding the parking lot view - that you recommend spending the 7000 points for a 2BR instead of 4800 for a 1BR Penthouse? I was thinking that maybe third floor might be high enough to make the parking lot less intrusive?

topdog

TUG Member
Reaction score
The view, an extra bath, and the size of both unit and balcony. If not important, then save the points.

Jaredcg20

Reaction score
So I’m not HGVC owner but stayed at Kings Land a couple of weeks ago. I booked a room thru the Hilton honors app. Paid 225 a night for phase 1, 1 bedroom suite (so larger then phase 2)

They put us in building 6 which is literally right next to main pool. My question is if anyone knows this is normal? If you book online and aren’t a timeshare owner if they put us in building 6 as to entice us to buy?

Maverick1963

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
I am going to Big Island next month. I had the same issue. I once stayed at Kohala Suite.
So first I booked Kings Land. Then realized this one bedroom unit has only a shower not bath tub.
I changed my reservation to Bay Club. It's old but refurbished and spacious. I look forward
to my first stay there.

rabmsn

Reaction score
So I’m not HGVC owner but stayed at Kings Land a couple of weeks ago. I booked a room thru the Hilton honors app. Paid 225 a night for phase 1, 1 bedroom suite (so larger then phase 2)

They put us in building 6 which is literally right next to main pool. My question is if anyone knows this is normal? If you book online and aren’t a timeshare owner if they put us in building 6 as to entice us to buy?

We've been going to Kings' Land as non-owners for the last 4 or 5 years doing it the same way that you did. By simply asking for a non-ground floor unit in Phase I, we have never been disappointed.

We attended the sales presentation the first year but have declined ever since. Phase III does have the same larger "Deluxe" 1BR Suites (Phase II does not). I'm sure that non-owners might also get assigned to these rooms in Phase III.

We have assumed that someday Kings' Land will be fully built-out and we'll no longer be able to book rooms as non-owners. In the meantime, we plan to return annually.

BTW, renting as non-owners get daily maid service--owners do not.

Jaredcg20

Reaction score
We've been going to Kings' Land as non-owners for the last 4 or 5 years doing it the same way that you did. By simply asking for a non-ground floor unit in Phase I, we have never been disappointed.

We attended the sales presentation the first year but have declined ever since. Phase III does have the same larger "Deluxe" 1BR Suites (Phase II does not). I'm sure that non-owners might also get assigned to these rooms in Phase III.

We have assumed that someday Kings' Land will be fully built-out and we'll no longer be able to book rooms as non-owners. In the meantime, we plan to return annually.

BTW, renting as non-owners get daily maid service--owners do not.

We already booked for next spring break again. Loved loved loved Kings land, with two kids 5/7 it was perfect. This is why I asked, are you in building 6 each time?

We had maid service like you mentioned which is why I’m curious if they just put us in building 6 and maid knows that entire building needs service.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
@Ransom your earlier post on this topic - here. If you are not a HGVC member, then yes it is a good way to book the BI.

jnsrusty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Marbrisa
Last summer we stayed for a week in a 1 bedroom at Bay Club and 4 nights in a 2 bedroom at Kings Land. Unfortunately, we stayed at Kings land first and fell in love with everything there! We loved the amenities, the pools, the activities for kids, the modern rooms, pool bar, everything! When we moved over to Bay Club, the unit was very spacious, but definitely lacked the "wow" factor. Probably the biggest disappointment was having to stare at the parking lot all week from the lanai. We had a 1bdrm on the 3rd floor, but all the 1 bedrooms face the parking lot. My kids also missed the Kings Land super pool and water slides. Yes, you can purchase a pass to use the pool at Kings Land when you stay at Bay Club, but we thought it was too expensive and so we decided that when we return to the Big Island, we will stay at Kings Land only. That's my 2 cents anyway. :)

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
No Bay Club 7000 point 2 BDR face the parking lot. Building 3 has an ocean peek-a-boo in the distance, from the penthouse units. All 1 BDRs are smack dab on the parking lot.

Hope this helps.