• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which Cabo Resort? Casa Dorada at Medano Vista Encantada or Hacienda Encantada?

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
TUG Fam, I need YOUR HELP, PLEASE!

I am getting pumped for post vaccine travel (hopefully things will be wayyyyy settled by August!) and looking to book Cabo for August (I can also probably do Jan or Feb 2022, but who wants to wait that long??)

It's just the 2 of us (me and hubs) and we enjoy both stay-at-resort-hang-by-the-pool vacations as well as the venture out type. I think for this vacation (first time in Cabo) perhaps we'd prefer to be "in the action" vs too remote. Here's what I see available that I've seen either recommended or I'm assuming is nice (i.e. :
  • Casa Dorada at Medano Beach (MBE)
  • Vista Encantada (VTE)
  • Hacienda Encantada (HEC)
Grand Solmar Land's End, Cabo Azul & Pueblo Bonito are not available (I could e-plus retrade later, but I'm coming up on my 60 days Marriott Hawaii that I need to retrade so I need to book something now and hopefully I'll just keep what I booked!)

A few questions...
  1. Would you recommend any of the above more than the others?
  2. What's with the "limited kitchen" in 1 AND 2 bedrooms for the above listed resorts?
  3. Is there a reason why The Westin Los Cabos is not something widely recommended? Location, I'm guessing?
BTW, in case you are wondering "why Cabo?", we are in Northern California. If there is another West Coast Mex location you want to throw at me for consideration, I'm ready for that too! I'm having so much fun getting back to planning trips! Tagging a few experts I've seen post about these resorts, hope you guys and gals don't mind! :) @PamMo , @dlca1 , @fleecer , @buzglyd , @klpca , @Garry @hurnik @77JC @dsexton @BostonKingB

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
If you want to be in the action, Casa Dorada at Medano Beach. It is listed as an “adult” resort because of all the carrying on at Mango deck. Personally I find it entertaining but you will have lots of boom boom music going on throughout the day. You can easily walk up and down the beach to hit The Office and other locations and you’re close to the marina.

Encantada is on the corridor and is further from the action and will be quiet. You won’t even need a car at Casa Dorada.

dsexton

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Beach Quarters, RiverPointe, Westin Lagunamar, Sea Scape Beach and Golf Villas
We are headed to Vista Encantada in 3 weeks, would love any reco's !

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
  1. What's with the "limited kitchen" in 1 AND 2 bedrooms for the above listed resorts?
  2. Is there a reason why The Westin Los Cabos is not something widely recommended? Location, I'm guessing?
The "limited kitchen" is likely because there's probably not an oven or dishwasher. Most of the Cabo timeshares have a cooktop, a microwave, and usually a full sized refrigerator.

The Westin is located on the "corridor", the highway between the two towns of San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas. You'd need a rental car or taxi to get to the towns. The Casa Dorada at Medano Beach is the only one of the three you mentioned that is within easy walking distance of downtown and the marina.

77JC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timber Lodge x2, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark
Hobokie-

If you are looking for a stay by the pool relaxing week then Vista is a great choice! Good restaurants, good cocktails, great atmosphere and staff. Vista guests have access to the Hacienda pools/restaurants but the rooftop pool on the Vista building is exclusive to Vista guests. We were at the rooftop pool/restaurant daily on our last trip. We have always gotten the AI package (food/drinks are kind of pricey) but I think we have had a full kitchen at Vista in 2 and 3 bedrooms. I won't swear to there being an oven though!

If you are looking to be "in the action" maybe Vista/Hacienda is not the right choice however. They do offer a shuttle to the Marina every two hours that is free with the Vista AI package-and the AI includes several restaurants at the Marina. It is not real convenient to get to the action however. Due to the reduced occupancy there was not much going on at the resort at night that I saw. A few nights they had a guitar player in the lobby and one night a pianist but no organized parties or anything like that.

All that said-I'm looking forward to my next trip in May! Have a great trip!

-Jeff

77JC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timber Lodge x2, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark
dsexton-

I hope you have a great week at Vista! We really enjoy the rooftop pool and the Atico restaurant/pool bar. They serve a great cocktail. The Mestizo restaurant-also on the roof behind Atico-is great for dinner (please tell Chef Oscar Sue and Jeff say hello!) and they also serve a wonderful breakfast. If you are planning a relaxing week at the resort I would recommend the AI package especially if you enjoy a cocktail or three throughout the day. It is definitely resort pricing at the bars and restaurants.

I don't know if the whales will still be there when you are there but it was pretty amazing to sit in the rooftop pool and watch them play in the bay below. Bring binoculars or a telephoto lens just in case! I didn't bring my camera and regretted it after the first day when I was there two weeks ago.

-Jeff

fleecer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk
Of the three, I haven't stayed at Vista; it was just finishing construction when I was at Hacienda Encantada. It's part of that same resort complex and I'm sure it's nice. I'd stay at any of them, but lean slightly toward MBE for several reasons: Swimmable beach and easy walk to terrific restaurants in CSL. If you're in Cabo during whale season and interested in watching them, then go to one of the others (terrific views).

As others have noted, you'll need a car or taxi to off-property from the Encantada's. One thing I REALLY did NOT like at Hacienda Encantada were the sub-par pricey drinks, even the margaritas, which were pretty awful. fortunately my wife and I are semi-pro mixologists and know where the local Costco is. Breakfast is good, Taco bar is outstanding, food is pretty average beyond these. The rooms are beautifully appointed.

Last I checked, MBE is NOT listed as an "adult resort"; that would be Casa Dorada San Lucas Bay (also known as ME Cabo) next door, which really is for the 35+under crowd. But Medano Beach is a lot busier and occasionally noisier than the Encatadas. MBE Rooms also nicely appointed, food is better than the Encantadas IMO.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
By your comments and questions we assume you are set on Cabo San Lucas. We may be in the minority but we prefer San Jose del Cabo. There are lots of Timeshares in San Jose del Cabo. We are about to spend 3 weeks in San Jose del Cabo - Royal Solaris (yes it is AI), Coral Baja (Worldmark), and finish up with Cabo Azul.

Almost all Activities will pick you up at the Resort and transport you back. If you like swimming with the dolphins there are 3 locations in the area. But we prefer the one that is actually located in the Harbour in San Jose del Cabo.

fleecer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk
By your comments and questions we assume you are set on Cabo San Lucas. We may be in the minority but we prefer San Jose del Cabo. There are lots of Timeshares in San Jose del Cabo. We are about to spend 3 weeks in San Jose del Cabo - Royal Solaris (yes it is AI), Coral Baja (Worldmark), and finish up with Cabo Azul.

Same, love Cabo Azul, have also stayed at a little boutique hotel in SJC called Casa Natalia. Nice folks, great drinks and food. Much prefer the town and restaurants of SJC to CSL.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Oh by the way you do realize August is Prime Hurricane Season?

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
@geist1223 ughhhh I thought that was September??? (sigh) I’m doomed!

I may look further into SJC vs CSL but I didn’t see availability for any of the resorts you mentioned. Just in case this changes in the next few days, of the 3 you are going to, do you have a favorite? What months would you personally NOT travel to Cabo during (I’m guessing not August based on your comment)...

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Oh by the way you do realize August is Prime Hurricane Season?
I think it might be late August or September, but it will be more humid in August & September.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
@geist1223 ughhhh I thought that was September??? (sigh) I’m doomed!

I may look further into SJC vs CSL but I didn’t see availability for any of the resorts you mentioned. Just in case this changes in the next few days, of the 3 you are going to, do you have a favorite? What months would you personally NOT travel to Cabo during (I’m guessing not August based on your comment)...

September is the bad month and you can tell because it’s Silver season at many resorts.

August will be hot but who cares when you’re on the beach?

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
TUG Fam, I need YOUR HELP, PLEASE!

I am getting pumped for post vaccine travel (hopefully things will be wayyyyy settled by August!) and looking to book Cabo for August (I can also probably do Jan or Feb 2022, but who wants to wait that long??)

It's just the 2 of us (me and hubs) and we enjoy both stay-at-resort-hang-by-the-pool vacations as well as the venture out type. I think for this vacation (first time in Cabo) perhaps we'd prefer to be "in the action" vs too remote. Here's what I see available that I've seen either recommended or I'm assuming is nice (i.e. :
  • Casa Dorada at Medano Beach (MBE)
  • Vista Encantada (VTE)
  • Hacienda Encantada (HEC)
Grand Solmar Land's End, Cabo Azul & Pueblo Bonito are not available (I could e-plus retrade later, but I'm coming up on my 60 days Marriott Hawaii that I need to retrade so I need to book something now and hopefully I'll just keep what I booked!)

A few questions...
  1. Would you recommend any of the above more than the others?
  2. What's with the "limited kitchen" in 1 AND 2 bedrooms for the above listed resorts?
  3. Is there a reason why The Westin Los Cabos is not something widely recommended? Location, I'm guessing?
BTW, in case you are wondering "why Cabo?", we are in Northern California. If there is another West Coast Mex location you want to throw at me for consideration, I'm ready for that too! I'm having so much fun getting back to planning trips! Tagging a few experts I've seen post about these resorts, hope you guys and gals don't mind! :) @PamMo , @dlca1 , @fleecer , @buzglyd , @klpca , @Garry @hurnik @77JC @dsexton @BostonKingB
I see a 2 bedroom unit at Grand Solmar nevermind - it's Rancho San Lucas - I haven't been there so I have no idea if that would work. Sorry!

fleecer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk
I'd rather not be in Mexico in Aug/Sept/Oct. But Cabo has recently seen bad storms/hurricanes as early as June. FWIW, at least a few restaurants will close up in Sept for 4-6 weeks.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
We would not travel to the Cabo Area from May to November. Even many of the Ex-pats leave during that time frame. We travel there January to April.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We would not travel to the Cabo Area from May to November. Even many of the Ex-pats leave during that time frame. We travel there January to April.
I used to think the same, but a few years ago I booked a week in Palm Desert in late June. About a week or so before we were due to leave Palm Desert was having a heat wave - temps over 115 - and for me that was just too hot. I had eplus on that week but between the late cancelation and the expiration of the underlying deposit, I had to use the week during the first half July. Eventually I found a week in Cabo. I was nervous about going in the summer but had no real choice. It was surprisingly fine. It was warm - high 90's/low 100's if I recall correctly - but we spent time at the pool or on the beach. I agree that it was very warm and maybe not optimal, but certainly doable. Funny thing was that we were staying at Club Cascadas. I have former work friends who own fixed weeks there and went every year with their families. It turned out that they were there at the same time. My husband ran into them in the lobby, and we wound up seeing them around the pool all week. I think that some people really like it down there in the summer. We haven't gone back in the summer, but I would do it again. YMMV.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When we owned at the Pueblo Bonito Rose, our fixed week was the second week of August. In all the years we went to Cabo then I can remember just one or two where there were heavy rains at some point during our week. We never experienced a hurricane and the rain that did happen was usually over with pretty quickly. The sunny days were perfect for the pool and beach, and the nights were quite nice. The humidity didn't bother us as we lived in the Seattle area and were used to some humidity. But, once we moved to the desert, the last time we were there I really was more aware of the humidity at that time of year.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just saw this thread and love all the comments. After missing two seasons in Cabo, I can’t wait to go back!

@Hobokie, are you headed down there soon?