• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where would you prefer to rent in Puerto Vallarta.???

jimbosee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Tugger's,jimbosee from Melbourne Australia here again.We had our first trip to Mexico this year,(February),thank you for all your help,and enjoyed it so much we are going back next year.We will have a week at Mayan Palace Riviera Maya,(24th April to 1st May),and then we are renting a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom condo for 12 nights in Puerto Vallarta.My question is which area is better,the Marina Area,or a condo that is one block from the Malecon,and 2 blocks from the beach.Please let me know your thoughts.Thanks Regards Jim Seedsman:hi: ************************************** jimbosee:hi:

Last edited:

timesharejunkie4

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Puerto Vallarta is very easy to get around by bus or taxi so I would say it depends on how important being close to the beach is to you. I am not familiar with all of the beaches in the marina area but I am not impressed with the beach between the Westin and the Marriott in the marina. Los Muertos is the good beach in town. The beach near the malecon is rocky.
The beach in the parts of the hotel zone and Mismaloya are pretty good.

alfie

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Marina area is fun, there are a lot of shops and restaurants facing the marina and the boats. It is great for people watching. The beach is quite nice and the area is very upscale. Personally, however I prefer downtown Puerto Vallarta. It is very old Mexico, with many local fairs and shops. There are hundreds of restaurants and if you want to cook for yourself several grocery stores which you can easily walk to. The beach along the Malecon is not that great for swimming but north or south of this area the beaches are excellent. In my mind there is simply more to do and see downtown, and everything is walkable. No matter where you choose try to take the boat trip to Yelapa and Quimixto Falls.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We love the zona romantica. It's the old part of the city, very cosmopolitan: cobblestone streets, many, many good restaurants, people going about their daily business. For us, Neuvo Vallarta at the Grand Mayan wasn't Mexico at all, and the Marina area is just about the same.

Go to www.tripadvisor.com and click on Mexico, then Puerto Vallarta, then forums. You'll get a wealth of information. There are one or two local experts on the forum who can give you really specific details about the various areas--and wonderful recomendations as well.

oysterfiend

Reaction score
NZs going to Mexico again too- how do I do a new post

Hi,
can't find new post or thread button?
Where is it and how can I ask/ a question starting a new thread:shrug:

mamadot

TUG Member
Reaction score
We traveled to PV in May on an exchanged. We stayed in the hotel zone but traveled to zona romantica. I would stay there next time around. It's the old part of the city has great bars and restuarants. Not as many t/s hawkers very relaxing and a beautiful area.

DonnaD

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Vacation Club
PV Marina area

We own at the Westin Club Regina and love it there. It is about a block from the marina and we love going there for dinner several nights. We go to the old town by bus a couple of times during our stay but enjoy the beautiful pools and gardens surrounding the pools and watching all the boats come and go from the marina that opens to the bay by the resort. The sunsets are beautiful in PV. If you have a need for a place, I have a friend that wants to rent out 2 weeks at Westin Club Regina of a 2 bedroom unit. Send me a message and I will tell you more about it. He doesn't have an ad in the classified on TUG, but I do. donnadanne@yahoo.com. Let me know if you are interested. You can do a search for Club Regina on the internet and see photos of the resort. We stayed 3 weeks last January and never got bored. Public transportation is easy in PV
DonnaD :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

jimbosee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi to all tugger's,
jimbosee here,thank you everyone for your time and thoughts,forums are great.This year we stayed in Nuevo Vallarta,so for next year we thought we would come nearer into Puerto Vallarta,and we deceided on the Marina Area.We will wander down to the Old Town on a couple of days and have a loook around,but think we will be happy at the Marina.Thank you all again,and DonnaD,thank you for the offer.Regards Jim Seedsman:hi:

jimbosee:hi:

Last edited:

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
pv

I have stayed at the Flamingos which is in Nueva Vallarta about 2 years ago and it was a wonderful resort, just a little ways out, but the buses/taxis are plentiful if you want to come back into town.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Heya Jim!

Glad you had a great trip to Mexico, and nice to see you back on TUG. As for PV, my fave resort is the unique and awesome Ocho Cascadas. I stayed in Villa 6 there for two weeks in a row...best t/s stay ever!

Since you plan to rent the second week, you can look for private rentals. They have a website which has an owner rentals link. Or you can also call them directly and ask about owner rentals for that week you need. Only caveat...you must not mind walking up and down steps. http://www.ochocascadas.com/

PClapham

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
Foxrun
Sad news-Ocho Cascadas is being sold off as wholly-owned condos-heard this from a current owner. The 30 yr rtu expires next year. The units are being sold for incredible prices, it seems.
Anita

RFW

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were very happy at WIVC Conchas Chinas last January. We rented direct from an owner via a TUG classified posting. Mine is the last review posted for that resort, if you want the details. While not as grand and unique as Ocho Cascadas, it is within walking distance, slightly lower down on the hill, and much more reasonable. The only downside was there was no beach, but we were not looking for that.

Last edited: