• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where to list ad to sell expiring week

redkayak

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a [week] that is expiring at the end of July and I would like to sell the week for my maint cost plus whatever RCI charges to transfer it to another persons account. Can someone tell me where I would list in on the forum. I looked in the classified ads but since I am neither selling the timeshare or renting the week I am not sure where to place it. Don't want to break any protocol so I left out all the specifics. Appreciate any help you can offer.

Doug

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You would list it in the rentals section of the classified ads because, from the other person's standpoint, you are renting the use for a week, versus selling the timeshare.

However, please be forewarned that RCI's policies - clearly outlined in the Membership Terms & Conditions - strictly prohibit the rental or sale of any week deposited with RCI or any week obtained through RCI.

The penalty for violation of the rule can include suspension of your RCI account, forfeiture of deposited weeks and cancellation of any reservations. That last one is the most troubling. If you rent this week and RCI eventually finds out and cancels it, your renter might show up to check in, only to find that the reservation has been canceled and there is no place to stay. If that happens, you would be in one heck of a legal mess!

Further, we know from past reports by TUGgers and from correspondence received by the BBS administrators that RCI does monitor websites for improper activity.

RCI permits you to recover only the exchange fee and guest fee. Nothing else, no matter what costs (maintenance fees, advertising, etc.) that you incur.

Thus, your best bet, if you can't use the week, might be to find a friend, co-worker or relative that can use the week.

See this post by RCI's rep to TUG, Madge, for more info on the RCI limitations.

redkayak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Dave. That was the other thing I wasn't sure about...if I was breaking RCIs policies. Guess so. Oh well may have to just let it expire then. Appreciate your help.

Doug

debraxh

TUG Member
Reaction score
redkayak said:
Thanks for the info Dave. That was the other thing I wasn't sure about...if I was breaking RCIs policies. Guess so. Oh well may have to just let it expire then. Appreciate your help.

Doug
You could pay to have the expiration date extended.

redkayak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea. It would cost almost $200 for a 1 year extension. The maintenance fees were around $175 if I remember right. Looks like it would cost more to extend than what I paid for the MF!

I really appreciate the great info. Best $15 I spend every year is right here at TUG.

Doug

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What you paid in maintenance fees is irrelevant in deciding whether or not to purchase the extension. The only question that counts is whther or not the expring week is worth $200.

In economic terms, that maintenance fee you already paid is a "sunk cost". You've already paid the fee and your decision has no influence on whether you can recover that money.

Spence

Banned
Reaction score
T_R_Oglodyte said:
What you paid in maintenance fees is irrelevant in deciding whether or not to purchase the extension. The only question that counts is whther or not the expring week is worth $200. In economic terms, that maintenance fee you already paid is a "sunk cost". You've already paid the fee and your decision has no influence on whether you can recover that money.
While I agree about sunk costs, the MF paid could be indicative of the value of the week. Low MF could indicate poor quality and small size, both of which could lead you to believe that it is not worth extending based on the prospective lack of exchange choices.