• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where to go? - February 2016

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
New Orleans for Mardi Gras or San Francisco for Superbowl

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I like the idea of Palm Springs
So much to see and do there or do nothing and relax around the resort.
Go to Melvyn's for DH Birthday Dinner. http://inglesideinn.com

I also like the idea of off season Hilton Head, I have never been but the appeal of the beach walks, sight seeing, day trips to Charleston or Savannah. It would be different but fun!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Okay, these would have been the places which would be out (visited recently):

Bryce, Zion
Las Vegas
Sedona
San Francisco (and I HATE Super Bowl by the way :D )
Palm Desert
San Diego
Carmel/Monterey

And when I asked dh were he would like to go (after all it is his birthday) he first said someplace warm. Okay, we're on the same page. Then he said Mexico or a Caribbean cruise. Guess I'll have to change my focus. ;)

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, these would have been the places which would be out (visited recently):

Bryce, Zion
Las Vegas
Sedona
San Francisco (and I HATE Super Bowl by the way :D )
Palm Desert
San Diego
Carmel/Monterey

And when I asked dh were he would like to go (after all it is his birthday) he first said someplace warm. Okay, we're on the same page. Then he said Mexico or a Caribbean cruise. Guess I'll have to change my focus. ;)

Cancun is awesome in February!

colatown

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Charleston, SC:
-- Tours: plantation houses & horse-drawn carriage rides.
-- harbor boat rides & Fort Jefferson.
-- USS Yorktown & The Citadel.

--
I think he means Ft. Sumter, the Dry Tortugas is a long boat ride from Charleston.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I think he means Ft. Sumter, the Dry Tortugas is a long boat ride from Charleston.

Well, thanks for noticing... I sometimes confuse AM + PM, too. :eek:

herillc

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about Scottsdale, AZ?
I like feb in scottsdale because weather is nice and not as crowded as march.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
How about Scottsdale, AZ?
I like feb in scottsdale because weather is nice and not as crowded as march.

Don't think so.

Since dh said he wanted to go to Mexico, or on a Caribbean cruise, that wouldn't work. ;)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Big sale currently on CruCon (unless it ended yesterday), but I think it's still on and there are some very good deals.

Looks like it's on through September 4th, but I don't think I can get dh to commit by then. :rolleyes:

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Both Palm Desert and Sedona are "high desert" and can get pretty cold in the winter, esp Sedona. The average Feb temps in Palm Springs are actually pretty appealling,with an average high of 74 and low of 48, but there can be wide swings in temps that make up that average.

It is very difficult to want predictable warm weather without leaving the US, but excluding Flariduh and Hawaii from consideration. Maybe USVI or Puerto Rico?

Palm Desert is NOT "high desert" and is warmer than Las Vegas or Phoenix in the winter. The elevation is 220 ft. I spend a lot of time in the Palm Springs area at all seasons. We live just an hour from there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Desert,_California

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
San Diego. Weather will be reasonable but not too hot. Sunny without the heat. Lots and lots to see and do. Fun town at a great time of year.

Dave

San Diego weather in February is pretty unpredictable as that is the rainiest month of the year and they are predicting a very wet winter this year because of "El Niño".

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
.....he said Mexico or a Caribbean cruise. Guess I'll have to change my focus. ;)

I would definitely book a cruise then, but make sure you have the right cruise line. Carnival, for example, is much different from Holland America (our favorite).

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Looks like it's on through September 4th, but I don't think I can get dh to commit by then. :rolleyes:

The beauty of cruising is that you can generally put down only a few hundred dollars and are able to easily cancel up until final payment.

So you can look and see what appeals, book it and then extensively discuss. :wave:

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
We LOVE Mazatlán in Feb. Carnival (Feb 4-9). Shrimp. Great party, warm, friendly people. Good food. Shrimp. Perfect weather. Buzzing around in Pulmonias, fishing, art galleries, Concerts, Shrimp. What's not to like?

Jim

Shrimp! Enough said. Why is there any further discussion on this?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shrimp! Enough said. Why is there any further discussion on this?

Yeah, the 'shrimp ladies' in town do a great business. We took 2 other couples there for Carnaval last year. Stayed on Ice Box Hill in a house that was the former Italian Consolate. A little noisy, but a great party. We ate shrimp in one form or another most days. Our guests had never been to Mexico, and certainly not in a crowd of near a million people on the streets, but no one EVER felt even slightly threatened, and they all want to return.

Jim

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
Since Mexico is on the table ...

I'm a very big fan of Mazatlan, but if it were a special occasion (like a birthday), I'd go to Puerto Vallarta. This February I will be adding a side trip to Teotihuacan before Puerto Vallarta, so I'll get a little culture before my relaxation!

I would also consider a tour of Copper Canyon. Four times bigger than the Grand Canyon and a train ride with spectacular views. Probably not as warm in February as you might want, but something to consider.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the correction. I spent a year in 29 palms but it's been awhile.

29 Palms is about 2000' elevation and is cooler than Palm Springs. We were in 29 Palms last Sunday on our way back home from Laughlin NV. We go through there frequently as it is shorter than taking the 40 to the 15.

Were you in Marine Corp at the base in 29 Palms? That area has grown a lot with many retirees.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
29 Palms is about 2000' elevation and is cooler than Palm Springs. We were in 29 Palms last Sunday on our way back home from Laughlin NV. We go through there frequently as it is shorter than taking the 40 to the 15.

Were you in Marine Corp at the base in 29 Palms? That area has grown a lot with many retirees.

I was, but I could imagine that place as my second to last choice for retirement, right in front of the surface of the Sun.

29 Palms is only like 61 miles from PS, which I figure is why I made the mistake.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We are leaning towards the cruise. Right now we're looking at a couple that leave out of Houston. Reason for this is, it would be relatively easy for us to get there.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are leaning towards the cruise. Right now we're looking at a couple that leave out of Houston. Reason for this is, it would be relatively easy for us to get there.

Be picky about what islands you go to. St. Thomas is probably unavoidable but there are too many cruise ships there and too many people. I love St. John and St. Lucia. Very tropical, lush and quiet. I've only done Barbados and Aruba besides those and they are desert islands, not lush. So not my favorite. Others may give you other island suggestions. For me, not a cruiser, the smaller the ship the better.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have several friends who have done a cruise through the Panama Canal and raved about it.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Be picky about what islands you go to. St. Thomas is probably unavoidable but there are too many cruise ships there and too many people. I love St. John and St. Lucia. Very tropical, lush and quiet. I've only done Barbados and Aruba besides those and they are desert islands, not lush. So not my favorite. Others may give you other island suggestions. For me, not a cruiser, the smaller the ship the better.

The cruise we're looking at is Western Caribbean, ports are Honduras, Belize and Cozumel or Costa Maya, Belize and Honduras.