• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Where to find WKORV/WKORVN Rentals]

hvanv0405

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've found that VRBO, TUG, & Redweek all have some listings very cheap for a 2 bd villa at [WKORV & WKORVN.] (under $3K for the week)

[Specific information removed that might be perceived as advertising. - DenseM Moderator]

Does anyone have any suggestions of where else or who else to check with for renting a 2 bd villa at either side of the property? I've have my father & step mom staying there on the $749 referral package, I'll be using our villa with our kids & our moms, and I'm looking for a 2 bd villa for my sister's family for Feb 2009.

TIA for any ideas/suggestions.

Last edited:

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Craigslist will have some rentals as well.

I'm confused, though. You wrote that you found some very cheap rentals on the other sites, so are you just looking for more "comps" or something even cheaper, or you haven't been able to find your exact week yet? Often owners can check other availability for you if the week you want is not listed. Just an idea. Good luck.

hvanv0405

TUG Member
Reaction score
A little of both. I have found one person that responded the dates I need were available but wanted $3K. . i've noticed some renting for even less.

I'm trying to find something more between $2K to $2500. . . originally thought that would be impossible so I had found my sisters family a 3 bd condo at the Kaanapali Plantation for $2122 but realized my sister's family of 5 would be staying there along with my younger sister and step brother meaning someone would be out on the couch (not a pull-out) and also not at the same property as the rest of us but close.

After reading some recent listings I've noticed $2K to $2500 might be possible for a week at the Villas. . .i've only had one person respond so far and was wondering if anyone else knew someplace or someone else to check with.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
At the top of the Buying, Selling, Renting Board, there is a list of recommended websites.

I think $3K is a great price for a 2 bdm., but in this economy, who knows!

The difference in price may be the view. In general OF goes for big bucks, OV less, and IV, the lowest. If you find rentals for the week you are interested in listed, contact the owner and offer them less - the worst thing they can say is no!

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
$2k will just about break even on their MFs. I'd contact as many owners as I could with my dates and an offer of $2250. Somebody will undoubtedly feel that a bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush.

hvanv0405

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks for a suggestion. I countered the $3K rate since they're were able to get the exact dates we needed.

I asked for $2500 and they agreed!! This is for the 2 bd unit at the North property. Same side we own and will be staying on!!

hvanv0405

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wanted to add. . .this will now make 19 of us all able to stay on the same property at the same time!

I'm getting married on Feb 14th and everything is working out so great! Now my last minute friends just need a good deal on airfare. My best friend & her husband decided they wanted to join us after we were all booked.

I found them a studio to rent from an owner for the dates we have booked but they haven't gotten tickets yet. They're flying out of Eugene or Portland OR and currently i've found Hawaiin is about $600. I'm wondering if they'll have any specials over the holidays and how long they should wait.

They also haven't confirmed the time off from work yet so thats the main reason for not getting airfare yet. I just know it'll all work out, it has to, my first & only wedding so my best friend has to be there (i was at hers last year :) )

anyways just how to tell everyone how excited I am that all 19 of us will be at the Villas Feb 8th!!! so damn exciting. . and i've also got us a reservation for the OLL after we're married on the 14th. This will be one hell of a trip and the next 4 months are going to fly by.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
In this economy, who knows, but in the past Hawaii has been a very popular and expensive Christmas destination. I wouldn't expect airfare to go down.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow, Denise, you must take fantastic Christmas vacations if yours lasts until Feb. 14th. :) (I think he meant that he's wondering if airfares will go down over the holidays for travel in February.)

Gas is down to $2.89 here in Ohio. You may be able to beat $600 from Oregon. Have you signed up for email alerts from FareCompare.com, etc.? Also, check the Travel and Hawaii forums here because sometimes people will post when they find great deals.

Congratulations on getting your price of $2500. That's awesome.

hvanv0405

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have confirmed our rental but in the processes i contacted everyone that listed their units fairly cheap. . .if anyone else is looking let me know. I had to back out on one great deal of $1175 for 7 days in a studio. . .my friends hadn't quite figured out what days they can take off yet.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow, Denise, you must take fantastic Christmas vacations if yours lasts until Feb. 14th. :) (I think he meant that he's wondering if airfares will go down over the holidays for travel in February.)

Oh geez....who knows? I read "holidays" and had a brain fart! :eek:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
thanks for a suggestion. I countered the $3K rate since they're were able to get the exact dates we needed.

I asked for $2500 and they agreed!! This is for the 2 bd unit at the North property. Same side we own and will be staying on!!

Just curious - what is the view of the unit you are renting?

hvanv0405

TUG Member
Reaction score
she listed it as Ocean view but with a late reservation I'm not going to assume we'll get that. Anything will be fine with our family. As I previously stated I had found a 3 bd condo at the Kaanapali Plantation which isnt' even on the beach but back behind the Westin on the golf course.

Any 2 unit for $2500 with somewhat late notice was greatly appreciated. . .i was amazed that it's even the North side and they've been very accomodating on the process. Said we could pay half now and half by the first of Feb with only loosing $100 if we have to cancel for any reason. I thought that was definitely reasonable and thanks to this board for pointing me to Redweek.com. . . i found it there by contacting the rental listings.

skim118

TUG Member
Reaction score
accomodating or clueless ??

and they've been very accomodating on the process. Said we could pay half now and half by the first of Feb with only loosing $100 if we have to cancel for any reason. I thought that was definitely reasonable and thanks to this board for pointing me to Redweek.com. . . i found it there by contacting the rental listings.

Reducing the price $2500 to get it rented under current conditions maybe necessary. I have no clue why this person would let you cancel for no reason for just a $100 penalty.

We have rented WKORV thrice and we had a 50% penalty 3 months out and no cancellations after that.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Absolutely ask the owner to have Starwood send you a confirmation directly, in your name. This is standard procedure and you should insist on it.

And I think you are really lucky with the rental too - when I rent my week there is a no cancellation policy - period!

BTW - if this week was already reserved at least 8 mos. before arrival, you should get the owner's view. If the owner just reserved it for you, then there is no priority for view. However, as an owner, I'd certainly ASK for a nice view!

hvanv0405

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks for the tip! Miryam has been great to work with via email and phone and here is the direct comment from her email "If for any event you are unable to use the reservation I will keep $ 100 for the cancellation fee and will return you money."

Heck she could be a member here as well but I didn't ask. I found the listing on Redweek under her husbands name.

I know she said she'd put the reservation in my brother-in-laws name but i'll email her about the "reservation confirmation". I booked our unit one year to the day but I'm thinking of adding a special request to see if we could at least get units in the same building (once i know the other confirmation number).

Now if I could just get my soon to be hubby to want to own "every year" i found someone selling their Even years for just over $14K for the new North side. It'll be a hard sell with him since we're already stressed about the current payments on our Odd years (dang maintenance fees are so high).

Does anyone know if Starwood trys to sell current owners an extra year for anything less then the price we paid for the first year (which is odd years). . . would adding Even years for $14K be a good deal? I know that would mean close to $1700 in maintenance fees a year :-( but i'm wondering how quick i could recover by renting most of them out annually and maybe just using our Studio for the next few years. Any thoughts about this?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Unless I really, really wanted to lock in an upgraded view, I see no justifiable reason to buy when you can rent for such a reasonable rate. When you rent, you aren't locked into high annual MFs (which are currently $1.7k but have been increasing by 10% each year), you aren't locked into the same resort year after year, you don't have to fork out $14-50k to buy into it, you don't have to plan 12 months out and stress over locking in the best view in your category...honestly, what would you gain by buying?

And if you're already stressed trying to pay your odd year MFs, I think buying more TSs would be nuts! Why not just relax and enjoy renting at a really nice facility for a bargain price? I bet if you asked, the owner you're renting from now would be happy to put you on her priority list for repeat business in 2010.

hvanv0405

TUG Member
Reaction score
the difference with renting and owning would me we own it for life and could leave to our kids. . plus we're only in our 30's so have years of travel left.

Renting wouldn't give us a property deed 50 years from now.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
the difference with renting and owning would me we own it for life and could leave to our kids. . plus we're only in our 30's so have years of travel left.

Renting wouldn't give us a property deed 50 years from now.

That's kind of a marketing gimmick because we don't own the land. The buildings, along with our interest in them, will deteriorate and be torn down long before most of us will ever deed them to our children. (After all, would you be gung-ho owning a resort built in 1958?)

If you don't buy this year, WKORV will still be there, with plenty of units on the market, next year. And the next year. (But I wouldn't count on it being there in 50.) :)

Just trying to lend a voice of reason here.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's kind of a marketing gimmick because we don't own the land.

Really? So what happens to owners when at some point in the future the buildings have reached the end of their lifespan and they are torn down for something bigger and better? Do WKORV owners have any interest in the underlying land?

Michael

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Really? So what happens to owners when at some point in the future the buildings have reached the end of their lifespan and they are torn down for something bigger and better? Do WKORV owners have any interest in the underlying land?

No. We have a 1/52nd interest in a vacation ownership unit. Think of it as the right to use a condo for one week a year. Condo owners own space in a building, but not the land the building sits on.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....

I thought most condos were set up such that the owners of the condos owned an undivided interest in the common property, generally including the land on which the building sits. Is the disposal of the land covered in the governing documents? I wonder who gets the funds. While that may not seem important to many of you, for someone in their 20s considering a WKORV purchase....

As you said, 50 years is a long time, and while we may be vacationing on the moon by then, I'd being willing to bet land on the beach in Hawaii will continue to appreciate. So owning even a one-millionth interest in it would help offset the depreciation of a timeshare.

Michael

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I thought most condos were set up such that the owners of the condos owned an undivided interest in the common property, generally including the land on which the building sits.
Michael

I guess it's more like an apartment where the Owner owns the building and we pay to use an apartment. In fact, the word "apartment" is used repeatedly in the Owner's Manual:

"The Developer owns the Apartments described in Exhibit “A” which is attached to and part of this Declaration. …This Declaration establishes a plan for sharing the ownership and use of the Apartments described in Exhibit “A”…."

Under "What Am I Buying?":

"You are buying an interest in a Vacation Ownership Unit."

If you'd like the .pdf file of the Owner's Manual, I'd be happy to send it to you if you PM me with your email.