• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where do you see your timeshare participation level in 2030?

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
@pittle Love your plan! Also learn something every day....you have a resort where the MF is not charged if you dont go?!

Yes - our Vidanta Grand Luxxe in Mexico has the No Pay Unless You Go option for most owners now. That option and even a better one was added to our contract in 2007. It carried over when we updated to Grand Luxxe level in 2013 - now that hubs is 75, our MF are 1/2 price and when he is 77 in 2022, they are free. :) We do have what is called a 10-year renewal fee that comes up January 2024. It is 1 MF for each of our 2 weeks to keep that option for 10 more years - our contract weeks are free, but we do have to pay if we use bonus weeks. We will take a chance on that! :) We figure that by paying for our 2 weks, we will have the rest for free. That option was only available to current members before November 2006 and who came to one of the resorts Member Services and signed up before a date in the spring of 2008.

We go to Puerto Vallara every November. Our favorite resort is the Buganvilias in PV - it is the one that expires in 2026.

Last edited:

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Looking out a bit from the current troubles....

Would love to hear thoughts on where you see your timeshare participation level 10 years down the road

For example
Did you exit completely and are happy you did?
Did you stick with what you had in 2020 to just ride out the storm and now in 2030 things are back to normal with how you used TS in 2019?
Did you buy more TS at a low cost in 2020 and now reaping the benefits in 2030 with a profitable rental portfolio?
Did you buy more TS at a low cost in 2020 and would never do that again as it turned out poorly?
Did you set up your estate to will all your TS holdings back to each resort with you family having ROFR?
We closed on 2 contracts in February 2020 that almost doubled our points, giving us the amount we needed for our personal use. We’re retired and have no intention of renting our points. So, we still have a couple of trips planned this year that we will probably cancel and we have already moved 400k points to 2022. We fully expect to still be in the ts game in 2030 and traveling to our hearts’ content!

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
We closed on 2 contracts in February 2020 that almost doubled our points, giving us the amount we needed for our personal use. We’re retired and have no intention of renting our points. So, we still have a couple of trips planned this year that we will probably cancel and we have already moved 400k points to 2022. We fully expect to still be in the ts game in 2030 and traveling to our hearts’ content!
@Rolltydr Excellent! Where did you find the contracts to buy if you don't mind sharing? Also is your TUG handle a 'Bama reference?

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Yes - our Vidanta Grand Luxxe in Mexico has the No Pay Unless You Go option for most owners now. That option and even a better one was added to our contract in 2007. It carried over when we updated to Grand Luxxe level iin 2013 - now that hubs is 75, our MF are 1/2 price and when he is 77 in 2022, they are free. :) We do have what is called a 10-year renewal fee that comes up January 2024. It is 1 MF for each of our 2 weeks to keep that option for 10 more years - our contract weeks are free, but we do have to pay if we use We will take a chance on that! :) We figure that by paying for our 2 weks, we will have the rest for free. That option was only available to current members before November 2006 and who came to one of the resorts Member Services and signed up before a date in the spring of 2008.

We go to Puerto Vallara every November. Our favorite resort is the Buganvilias in PV - it is the one that expires in 2026.
Wow! Now THAT would be an Owner's Update worth attending, am I right?! Thanks for sharing the details that seems excellent way to go.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
@Rolltydr Excellent! Where did you find the contracts to buy if you don't mind sharing? Also is your TUG handle a 'Bama reference?
I bought the contracts here from a fellow Tugger for closing cost. That’s what I would recommend to everyone looking to purchase. I had looked on ebay and a couple of other sites but never felt comfortable making an offer on anything. Then, one day a fellow Tugger posted that he had 2 contracts he wanted to give away and they totaled up to the amount of points we wanted to add so I jumped on it.

And, yes, I am a Bama fan. In fact, we have been football season ticket holders since 1991. We have opted out for this season since we’re over 65 and don’t want to chance it.

hjsweet2002

TUG Member
Reaction score
We live in upstate New York right at the end of Lake Ontario. We vacation several times a year at Bentley Brook in the Berkshires in MA, about a four hour drive. At Christmas we drive to Newport RI, about 6 1/2 hour drive. We have driven to Shaunee Village in PA three times about 4 hours drive. When driving to Williamsburg, Tennessee or Edisto Island, we stay at a Wyndham hotel using our Wyndham Rewards points. We have done one night from Florida but that is hard to do now; hard to drive for 14 hours anymore. Usually when going to Florida, we spend time at a resort in TN or Edisto Island

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Any tips on selling you can pass on?

I did not sell my contracts myself. I sold the Disney contracts through a DVC specialized agent and I sold Hyatt and Vistana back to the developer. I would try the developer first. If that does not work, find an agent who specializes in what you are selling and who has a big customer base of people who are looking to buy, if possible. If none of that is possible, I would probably list my contracts on Redweek and Tug and use LT Transfers, who many Tuggers recommend to handle the closing.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We have been downsizing our timeshares this year. We have sold 8 contracts this year. The only ones I have now are MVC DPs, Vistana and Four Seasons Aviara. I anticipate I will sell Four Seasons in the next few years. If Marriott does not merge Vistana, I will sell that too. However, if they do merge, It will probably bring me up to Chairman’s Club level. Long term, I only imagine owning MVC.
I would love to get a great offer from Marriott to convert my SBP weeks, the summer deeded ones, weeks 24-32, to Marriott DC.

Our presentation a few years ago through Starwood at Mission Hills was so ridiculous. Nope, I don't have $1.6 million to throw away on Staroptions that would be voluntary and worthless. And the saleswoman said she had never heard of SBP. She was selling the Amex credit card in our presentation. She also kept talking about Coachella being an amazing rental opportunity for us. Such a joke.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
We live in upstate New York right at the end of Lake Ontario. We vacation several times a year at Bentley Brook in the Berkshires in MA, about a four hour drive. At Christmas we drive to Newport RI, about 6 1/2 hour drive. We have driven to Shaunee Village in PA three times about 4 hours drive. When driving to Williamsburg, Tennessee or Edisto Island, we stay at a Wyndham hotel using our Wyndham Rewards points. We have done one night from Florida but that is hard to do now; hard to drive for 14 hours anymore. Usually when going to Florida, we spend time at a resort in TN or Edisto Island
@hjsweet2002 thanks for sharing! Looks like your TS strategy has normally been to own withing driving distance....although at times longer drives.

JudiZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Except for Wyndham points, we own two timeshares that are two hour drives - one in Northern NH and one on Cape Cod and another that it either a 7 hour drive or 1 hour plane plus 45 minute drive in Pennsylvania. Ironically, this was our first full year of Wyndham and every vacation was cancelled by them because of the virus. In ten years, we will be in our early 70s and still enjoying family vacations with children and grandchildren. I think that our portfolio would be relatively easy to divest since Wyndham would be Ovations (hopefully it will still exist) and the other three are relatively high TPU/low maintenance fee units. In any case, all were secondary market and no loans.

Of course, for the moment, I just want people to be safe and healthy. The rest is all gravy.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I started buying TimeShares in the mid 80s when I bought a Sabal Palms Week. Since then I have probably owned, sold, given away, did Deed Backs or otherwise been involved with 30-40 Resorts. Now I am 100% out. My take is that a lot of changes have taken place in the Industry from when I first bought in...

Going forward I see fewer new Resorts being developed and Developers focusing on managing their existing Systems and Properties with the majority of sales coming from Weeks acquired via ROFR, buying from Current Owners for pennies on the dollar and foreclosures. Developer/System Managers will find it more difficult to generate sales as Buyers better understand the depreciating value and ever increasing MFs of TimeShares. But the Wyndhams, Marriotts, Hilton, etc. will continue to find a way to make money managing what they have...

George

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Planning on retiring then or within 5 years of that date. So expect using to rise not diminish..