• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where do you see your timeshare participation level in 2030?

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Looking out a bit from the current troubles....

Would love to hear thoughts on where you see your timeshare participation level 10 years down the road

For example
Did you exit completely and are happy you did?
Did you stick with what you had in 2020 to just ride out the storm and now in 2030 things are back to normal with how you used TS in 2019?
Did you buy more TS at a low cost in 2020 and now reaping the benefits in 2030 with a profitable rental portfolio?
Did you buy more TS at a low cost in 2020 and would never do that again as it turned out poorly?
Did you set up your estate to will all your TS holdings back to each resort with you family having ROFR?

mtwingcpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I have never actually owned a timeshare (although I've rented/stayed at several) and I expect that pattern to continue. The potential problems of disposing after death are a giant negative in my book. (I'm in my early 70s.)

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel you are reaching to far in the future; with your questions.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Right now we see ourselves holding on until expiration (of ownership or ourselves), but we reserve the right to change our minds. Currently the child who might want the timeshares can't afford them, and the child who could afford them doesn't want them.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Interesting question. No change unless something negative happens to one of our systems (Vistana/HGVC) in which we may drop properties or transition to higher point/MF value. We expect to be retired/semi-retired (close to 70) at that time and hope to enjoy many years of travel with our 3 properties. May pick up one more in one of these systems if we have time to travel but will likely rent to limit our exposure.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
By 2030 we'll be in our 80's (or dead) so it's likely our TS use will be less than in 2019. If (and it's a big IF) we are still traveling- together or alone- it's not likely to be to TSs. Maybe a cruise or two, or maybe just a short ride to the cemetery to visit. The kids don't want 'em and we've left instruction on how to ditch 'em.

Jim

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I have never actually owned a timeshare (although I've rented/stayed at several) and I expect that pattern to continue. The potential problems of disposing after death are a giant negative in my book. (I'm in my early 70s.)
Weird that you are on a timeshare forum. No heir has to accept a timeshare, as long as their names are not included on the title. That is truth.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I'll be 80 in 2030. Hopefully we will still be vacationing, at least to Maui. Our dds have both said they want our timeshares, but we'll see as time goes by.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We have 3 timeshare weeks. One is a RTU that expires in 2029. Other is a points week at Orange Lake and third is a week in rural Virginia. Depending on our health and interest in travel we will go to the close by timeshare and exchange the rural one. Want to try to enjoy these weeks at least til 2029. Or 2030.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
In 2030, we'll be 70 and 67. Lord willing, we will both be alive, retired, and healthy enough to travel more. DH is a morning person; I'm a night owl. So our favorite travel accommodations are 1BR timeshare condos or 2-room hotel suites. Our two Wyndham points contracts allow for flexible length of stay so I anticipate keeping them, possibly buying one more contract, and filling in with rental getaway weeks. All three of our kids & spouses have expressed interest in our timeshares so we may give them away when ready.

We used to LOVE cruising as well. The thought of being stuck on a cruise ship in the event of an illness outbreak has tarnished the appeal... at least a little.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
We've got a RTU that will expire a few years before then, and I expect if we're still alive we'll be unlikely to travel because of age. We think the timing is about right. It's given us years of wonderful memories.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I’ll be 53 years old then (that sounds awful to see that written out!). We’ll have plenty of timesharing still ahead of us, hopefully.

All kids will be either out of the house or at university by then, so we’ll likely take more offseason/longer vacations. We may end up picking up a few more weeks if the kids want to start bringing special friends or spouses along on vacations (I’ll be too young to be a grandpa!)

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
I’ll be 53 years old then (that sounds awful to see that written out!). We’ll have plenty of timesharing still ahead of us, hopefully.

All kids will be either out of the house or at university by then, so we’ll likely take more offseason/longer vacations. We may end up picking up a few more weeks if the kids want to start bringing special friends or spouses along on vacations (I’ll be too young to be a grandpa!)
That's right where we are NOW @jabberwocky ! 3 fully launched daughters / 2 Grands / 2 SIL's and they are really enjoying the frequent travel opportunities we throw out to them. As grandparents just this last summer started the initial ETY family reunion and wow TS are helpful when planning that for such a large and growing group.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We still have 4 weeks and we hope to use them until the RTU expires.

Our favorite expires after our November 2026 week when I am about to turn 80 and hubs will be 81.

1 ends in 2031 and we will use it to exchange to our favorite as long as we can. One son and his wife love this resort too and will make sure we get there if possible. If we cannot exchange, they will go to this one as our guests - they like it better than we do.

We have 2 that will end in 2033, but we can extend it 10 years. With this one know that my kids or friends will make sure we/I get to that one if either are able to fly because it will be free weeks at an awesome resort if one of us is there. We would love to share with whomever went with us as we would be happy to just be at the resort. This one already has the no MF if you do not go feature and we have no plans pay the renewal in January 2034 when it expires.

Hubs has some health issues and I know that it might just be me, but my mother and both grandmothers lived to be 89+ and would have been able to travel until the last couple of years, so I am hoping that my genes will allow me to travel until I am 85.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
We still have 4 weeks and we hope to use them until the RTU expires.

Our favorite expires after our November 2026 week when I am about to turn 80 and hubs will be 81.

1 ends in 2031 and we will use it to exchange to our favorite as long as we can. One son and his wife love this resort too and will make sure we get there if possible. If we cannot exchange, they will go to this one as our guests - they like it better than we do.

We have 2 that will end in 2033, but we can extend it 10 years. With this one know that my kids or friends will make sure we/I get to that one if either are able to fly because it will be free weeks at an awesome resort if one of us is there. We would love to share with whomever went with us as we would be happy to just be at the resort. This one already has the no MF if you do not go feature and we have no plans pay the renewal in January 2034 when it expires.

Hubs has some health issues and I know that it might just be me, but my mother and both grandmothers lived to be 89+ and would have been able to travel until the last couple of years, so I am hoping that my genes will allow me to travel until I am 85.
@pittle Love your plan! Also learn something every day....you have a resort where the MF is not charged if you dont go?!

mpizza

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking out a bit from the current troubles....

Would love to hear thoughts on where you see your timeshare participation level 10 years down the road

For example
Did you exit completely and are happy you did?
Did you stick with what you had in 2020 to just ride out the storm and now in 2030 things are back to normal with how you used TS in 2019?
Did you buy more TS at a low cost in 2020 and now reaping the benefits in 2030 with a profitable rental portfolio?
Did you buy more TS at a low cost in 2020 and would never do that again as it turned out poorly?
Did you set up your estate to will all your TS holdings back to each resort with you family having ROFR?

Fun to think about! I usually plan out 5 years, but will go for 10! I have pared down my portfolio to reflect the way I currently travel and will continue to modify as needed.

Not acquiring any new timeshares, the main reason being I am somewhat disappointed in the maintenance of the aging resorts. I am happy renting, going on extended guided tours and cruising (when safe to do so).

I have spoken to my children and allocated a week to each (in theory, not actually deeded) so they know it is their responsibility to learn the Marriott system or refuse title. Hope to be still traveling around in 2030 and not dead yet!

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are young enough that we will still be going strong. I suspect there will be multiple changes to our TS portfolio as a result of our kids getting older and having different interests, as well as trying to focus more on owning where we go vs depending on trades.

I'm sure there will also be unexpected changes that affect where we travel (ie continued increases in the fees vidanta charges exchangers will eventually exclude us)

mtwingcpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Weird that you are on a timeshare forum. No heir has to accept a timeshare, as long as their names are not included on the title. That is truth.

I agree that no heir is forced to accept a timeshare. However, if said heir is also a personal representative or trustee of the estate (as they would be in my case), they would still be burdened by whatever administrative headaches result from the timeshare (including possibly probate or other legal intervention, which my estate wouldn't otherwise require).

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
In 2030, I will be 75 and my husband will be 82. I expect that we will be doing longer stays in one place but still traveling a lot. We currently travel 7 to 8 months of the year - mostly in timeshares.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
In 2030, I will be 75 and my husband will be 82. I expect that we will be doing longer stays in one place but still traveling a lot. We currently travel 7 to 8 months of the year - mostly in timeshares.
@JohnPaul Wow! I strive for that travel schedule!

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Fun to think about! I usually plan out 5 years, but will go for 10! I have pared down my portfolio to reflect the way I currently travel and will continue to modify as needed.

Not acquiring any new timeshares, the main reason being I am somewhat disappointed in the maintenance of the aging resorts. I am happy renting, going on extended guided tours and cruising (when safe to do so).

I have spoken to my children and allocated a week to each (in theory, not actually deeded) so they know it is their responsibility to learn the Marriott system or refuse title. Hope to be still traveling around in 2030 and not dead yet!
@mpizza Love that idea where you are motivating each child to learn while there is still plenty of time!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We have been downsizing our timeshares this year. We have sold 8 contracts this year. The only ones I have now are MVC DPs, Vistana and Four Seasons Aviara. I anticipate I will sell Four Seasons in the next few years. If Marriott does not merge Vistana, I will sell that too. However, if they do merge, It will probably bring me up to Chairman’s Club level. Long term, I only imagine owning MVC.

hjsweet2002

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure. We will be 78 and 76 in 2030. Our health will be a major factor in our decision. Right now. No major health issues. Currently, we drive to our resort locations. Our driving abilities will be another major factor in our decision. We have discussed this among ourselves and believe that at age 75 we may stop traveling because of the factors mentioned above. However, we are hoping to vacation as long as we can be healthy and safe.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Not sure. We will be 78 and 76 in 2030. Our health will be a major factor in our decision. Right now. No major health issues. Currently, we drive to our resort locations. Our driving abilities will be another major factor in our decision. We have discussed this among ourselves and believe that at age 75 we may stop traveling because of the factors mentioned above. However, we are hoping to vacation as long as we can be healthy and safe.
Owning where you can drive sure keeps the overall travel cost low not to mention the hassle factor.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
We have been downsizing our timeshares this year. We have sold 8 contracts this year. The only ones I have now are MVC DPs, Vistana and Four Seasons Aviara. I anticipate I will sell Four Seasons in the next few years. If Marriott does not merge Vistana, I will sell that too. However, if they do merge, It will probably bring me up to Chairman’s Club level. Long term, I only imagine owning MVC.
Any tips on selling you can pass on?