• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where can I find crabs?

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
I’m from NY State and I was thinking of going down towards southern NJ, Maryland, or Delaware for a quick weekend with friends, one of whom desperately loves crabs. Are they available this time of year?

Does anyone have any suggestions? @tschwa2, do you have any ideas? Are there any points of interest in this area for this time of year? Would Cape May NJ Be a good choice?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You pretty much have to be within a 15 minute drive of Maryland. So DC and VA suburbs and Delaware beaches- Rehoboth and South. Even in Maryland expect to pay close to $100 a dozen for decent crabs this year. I doubt Cape May would have any. Virginia Beach had 3 crab houses (vs 20+ in Ocean City, MD). I went with the one with the best reviews and they were good tasting but light as a feather at $80 a dozen. The ones in Ocean City this summer at $110 per dozen are similar to the ones that were around $59 in the last 2 years.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I enjoy hand crabbing but you won't catch big ones and you won't have the cookware and seasoning to do it properly.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Patti went to buy Crab Cakes for dinner a few weeks ago. They were about $20 each. We had Salmon Burgers for dinner. They were about $5 each.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got home from Ocean City. We got take-out crabs from Bahama's for $39 a dozen plus 1/2 pound of steamed shrimp. The crabs were medium but pretty heavy and good. Usually we buy much larger crabs (for more money per crab), but this was a good special. We brought in a coupon from one of the local tourist papers, but they had a sign with the same special out front. Bahama's (in Fenwick) and Crabs to Go (on the mainland) are our favorite places to get crabs to take out.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We just got home from Ocean City. We got take-out crabs from Bahama's for $39 a dozen plus 1/2 pound of steamed shrimp. The crabs were medium but pretty heavy and good. Usually we buy much larger crabs (for more money per crab), but this was a good special. We brought in a coupon from one of the local tourist papers, but they had a sign with the same special out front. Bahama's (in Fenwick) and Crabs to Go (on the mainland) are our favorite places to get crabs to take out.
Bonus at Bahama's is no sales tax in delaware. I am not crazy about their seasoning. OCM has been my favorite the last couple of years but on longer trips or off season when they aren't open I try others. Higgens in April was the biggest disappointment.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
For a dozen of male Jimmie crabs in Tidewater Virginia, you are looking to pay at least $39.00 or more for one dozen of male crabs. Plus, they are steam and season

The big male Jimmie crabs in our area are going to Northetn Virginia and Washington DC, where there are selling for a must higher cost .

Last edited:

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deleted - thought looking to go crabbing not looking for a meal or crabs to take home :cautious::giggle:

Last edited:

KProuty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bonus at Bahama's is no sales tax in delaware. I am not crazy about their seasoning. OCM has been my favorite the last couple of years but on longer trips or off season when they aren't open I try others. Higgens in April was the biggest disappointment.

What is OCM? We stopped in Ocean City last year on our way to Hilton Head and ate at the Crab Factory, I think it was called, it was great.

Another year, on our way to Williamsburg, we stopped at Edward's Seafood fish market on Onley MD for a dozen crabs, put them in a cooler, and ate them when we got to the timeshare. I brought mallets and newspaper with me from home.

Anyhow, it would be hard to pass the Crab Factory (crab soup was divine, we took a quart with us to eat at the hotel - we always bring a cooler!) but if it was for something really good...

And what other seasoning can there be besides Old Bay? Isn't there a law that that IS the seasoning for crabs?

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
And what other seasoning can there be besides Old Bay? Isn't there a law that that IS the seasoning for crabs?

The guy at Bahama's was actually opening a 50-pound box of seasoning while I waited for my crabs this time. It was from a restaurant supply place and I'm not sure if it was Bahama's own specific mix...but probably it's just a generic version of Old Bay.

Their seasoning is very similar to Old Bay but...what do you think, tschwa2? Saltier? Hotter? It's definitely very salty.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, Bahama's does a beautiful job packing crabs for travel. We forgot to do it this time, but usually we call the day before and pick up crabs for home as we leave. They put the cooked crabs in a good insulated cooler with ice so they're perfect when we get home. No extra charge!

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyhow, it would be hard to pass the Crab Factory (crab soup was divine, we took a quart with us to eat at the hotel - we always bring a cooler!) but if it was for something really good...

Good to hear that Crab Factory was good! I think we went there once years ago. I think they're known for their crab cakes? And that they had some financial struggles recently. But they looked like everything was going along well on this trip, tons of people every time we passed.

JeffC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Mauna Loa Village, Sweetwater at Kauai, Club La Costa
I’m from NY State and I was thinking of going down towards southern NJ, Maryland, or Delaware for a quick weekend with friends, one of whom desperately loves crabs. Are they available this time of year?

Does anyone have any suggestions? @tschwa2, do you have any ideas? Are there any points of interest in this area for this time of year? Would Cape May NJ Be a good choice?

Thanks for your help!
Anywhere from the Great South Bay down to the Chesapeake is prime crabbing territory. Are you going crabbing yourself or just looking for local places to buy? When I was a kid we used to crab 2 ways. We'd go out at night on the Connetquot River with battery powered spotlights and shine them at the water, the crabs would come up to the light and we'd scoop up them up with a net. The other way was to throw fish heads into a crab trap and drop it into the water from a pier or boat, then you'd come back later to pull the trap (and any crabs in it).
Supposedly around here, Long Island, its a good year for blue claws. My DW picked up 2 softshell crabs, already breaded and fried, from the local fish market for $10 each. That seemed high to me. Since you're from NY you might want check availability on Fire Island. With the recent storm there may be some vacancies. Just drive to the ferry docks in Bay Shore, they have boats going to all the towns on Fire Island. Good Luck.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The guy at Bahama's was actually opening a 50-pound box of seasoning while I waited for my crabs this time. It was from a restaurant supply place and I'm not sure if it was Bahama's own specific mix...but probably it's just a generic version of Old Bay.

Their seasoning is very similar to Old Bay but...what do you think, tschwa2? Saltier? Hotter? It's definitely very salty.
Too salty. but my taste this year is still off, 6 months post covid and this summer was the first time I tried them in almost 6 years.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
How much are male jimmie crabs in NJ and Maryland by the dozen?,

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
How much are male jimmie crabs in NJ and Maryland by the dozen?,

I'm in northern NJ and you can't get crabs here except occasionally at Asian markets, live and ready to be cooked and seasoned at home. And they're not that big, bc I look every time I see them.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our local crab / fishing person in Poquson & York County, Virginia are selling male jumbo jimmies by the bushel at $300 plus (cash price).

It seems like a lot...but jumbo...maybe it's not so bad.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Crabs in the bay are being over harvested causing a spike in prices. There are simply not enough large enough.

DNR Survey: Chesapeake Bay crab population reaches 14-year low

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But a lot of crabs don't come from the bay. They come from the Carolinas and the gulf from both the Louisiana and Texas and then shipped to Maryland (and to a lesser extent NY)

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's very true however, being from Maryland to even suggest getting a crab from anywhere other than the Chesapeake Bay is akin to blasphemy. :eek:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's very true however, being from Maryland to even suggest getting a crab from anywhere other than the Chesapeake Bay is akin to blasphemy. :eek:
Personally having done many taste tests, there really isn't that much difference. I even had to read a book on the summer reading list in high school called beautiful swimmers. The sweetness of Bay crabs comes from the ideal brackishness of the water and the gulf and the rivers near the oceans in the Carolinas do a pretty good job in many areas getting that mixture. I've had good and bad bay crabs and good and bad crabs from other places.

The blasphemy is ordering crab cakes outside of MD and getting blue crabs prepared outside of the delmarva area. Which I do all the time just to check if anything has changed and for the most part they have not.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally having done many taste tests, there really isn't that much difference. I even had to read a book on the summer reading list in high school called beautiful swimmers. The sweetness of Bay crabs comes from the ideal brackishness of the water and the gulf and the rivers near the oceans in the Carolinas do a pretty good job in many areas getting that mixture. I've had good and bad bay crabs and good and bad crabs from other places.

The blasphemy is ordering crab cakes outside of MD and getting blue crabs prepared outside of the delmarva area. Which I do all the time just to check if anything has changed and for the most part they have not.

I appreciate your effort.

Being Baltimore, born and raised, I grew up with steamed crabs with Old Bay seasoning. Right or wrong, I was taught that it takes a great deal of history to make even a little tradition and with that, my loyalty has been earned. I'll stick with the irreplaceable Chesapeake Bay blue crab.

Good luck on your journey though. ;)