• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where are we able to fly/travel?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I thought the shutdowns were being eased worldwide but the more I research, the more I find so many travel restrictions, closed airports, 14 day quarantines, testing requirements, etc. For example, Cayman Islands airport is closed until Sept 1st to international travel and requires a 14 day quarantine. Fiji has a 14 day quarantine and international flights have been canceled coming in. Bahamas is supposed to open up on July 1st but they will require a negative Covid test before anyone is allowed in. I heard Hawaii still has a 14 day quarantine for inbound mainland and local citizens (there are two separate threads for Hawaii so let’s not bombard this thread with Hawaii info). Not sure what is going on with other places in the Caribbean and Europe.

These are all places I was thinking of visiting later this year or next year but now I am feeling pessimistic about travel in 2020 or 2021. If these travel restrictions stay in place until the end of 2020, I am becoming skeptical about what will even open for 2021. I am thinking maybe I should limit travel to mainland USA. I could visit my family later this year in Florida and keep all other travel within driving distance. Maybe a road trip to Pismo Beach to stay in our RV on the beach.

I am thinking of putting all travel planning on hold for 2021 too. I am depressed and feeling trapped at home!

I am wondering if we can start a new thread to share information about where US citizens are allowed to travel now and in the future as things do open up?

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
...... Maybe a road trip to Pismo Beach to stay in our RV on the beach.

...don't forget that left at Albuquerque!

Seriously though, travel is going to be in a constant state of change for a long while it appears and this thread just underscores the need to keep updated on the latest travel status from your home to your destination.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We're in "driving only" mode until December.
Fortunately, we're in Florida with some nice destinations.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
We're in "driving only" mode until December.
Fortunately, we're in Florida with some nice destinations.

I do think that even driving vacation plans will be impacted as we will want to avoid the larger cities even more now. If we take this trip to the NC mountains in July, I'll probably put more time in advance in planning stops for fuel, restrooms, etc ...

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We feel that for the time being anyway, we are relegated to road trips. Yes, like everyone, we have a touch of 'cabin fever', but the 'ALL CLEAR' has not sounded, and until it does we are keeping our feet on the ground.

Hey! A thought just occurred to me. How about we just trade houses among ourselves? Anybody want to hang out in a comfortable large house (3BR 3BA) or 1 BR/BA downtown condo in Idaho. Great place to explore from in Summer. Fishing, Hiking, Biking, Mountains. No money need change hands if we swap. Just usual laundry and clean-up on departure. (I better clear this with the boss (wife). She says, ' Why not?'

Jim

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Dh says no trips anywhere, not by plane, not by car, for the foreseeable future.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Passepartout - I still ask the same question of you Jim - why would you ever want to leave that lovely slice of heaven known as Idaho?

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
It's not just airlines. Some US states have similar restrictions. The last I knew, Massachusetts requires a 14-day quarantine on arrival, as does Maine...though Maine lets you off the hook if you can show proof of a covid-19 test taken less than 72 hours before arrival. And then there is Hawaii...14 day lockdown in effect forever, or at least it seems that way...despite the fact that it has absolutely killed their economy.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vermont has a 14-day quarantine, too.

Effective June 15, 2020: Travelers arriving to Vermont via public transportation (plane, train, bus) or from further than a direct car ride would allow, may complete either a 14-day quarantine or a 7-day quarantine followed by a negative test in a Vermont lodging establishment, or with friends and family (travelers must stay in their quarantine location for the duration of quarantine other than to travel to and from a test site).

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Passepartout - I still ask the same question of you Jim - why would you ever want to leave that lovely slice of heaven known as Idaho?
It's pretty nice here in Summer. Warm. Dry. But we might be enticed.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
March 29:
Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham just issued a new executive order requiring air travelers to self isolate for at least 14 days after traveling into New Mexico or they could be forced to.

Under the governor’s orders regardless of whether you have symptoms, if you travel into the state of New Mexico by plane you must self isolate yourself for 14 days and can only leave for medical care.

--------
I have no idea how they are enforcing this.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
March 29:
Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham just issued a new executive order requiring air travelers to self isolate for at least 14 days after traveling into New Mexico or they could be forced to.

Under the governor’s orders regardless of whether you have symptoms, if you travel into the state of New Mexico by plane you must self isolate yourself for 14 days and can only leave for medical care.

--------
I have no idea how they are enforcing this.
Which was exactly why I (maybe a little tongue-in-cheek) suggested we just drive to another TUGgers place and swap. We are used to sharing each other's places- albeit with semi-professional cleaning between guests- but heck, we have a housekeeper that can come in and spiffy the places up.

No airplanes need be involved, and though no quarantine is required here, and I'd only draw the line if a traveler was symptomatic. If we don't fly and have a car, we can't get stranded or locked down..

Jim

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Vermont has a 14-day quarantine, too.

Effective June 15, 2020: Travelers arriving to Vermont via public transportation (plane, train, bus) or from further than a direct car ride would allow, may complete either a 14-day quarantine or a 7-day quarantine followed by a negative test in a Vermont lodging establishment, or with friends and family (travelers must stay in their quarantine location for the duration of quarantine other than to travel to and from a test site).
I wonder who determines how far a "direct car ride" would be? I have driven across this country before -- would they balk at a car with Colorado plates? Seems very vague to me.

Kurt

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder who determines how far a "direct car ride" would be? I have driven across this country before -- would they balk at a car with Colorado plates? Seems very vague to me.

Kurt
I don't think anyone would give out-of-state, or area a second glance. We were out on the interstate a couple days ago and saw the basic 'U-Haul convoy'- truck, car trailer, and a couple of other vehicles and they all had Chihuahua Mexico tags.

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
Our newly claimed home state, Colorado, is big enough to explore by car this summer, however I am getting homesick for Minnesota. Few days there would do me good. It is pretty unsettled in Europe and defers by country. I think we will have to skip the trip this year. First TS - Sedona in November.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's pretty nice here in Summer. Warm. Dry. But we might be enticed.

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbour Lake, Divi Phoenix, Coconut Palm II
Aruba is opening its borders July 10 to USA. It requires proof of a negative Covid test taken within 72 hours of travel and everyone must have travel health insurance.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Sometimes you can fly to a place but you might have a problem getting home. Spain, Portugal, and Greece are welcoming folks. But if you live in Great Britain you have yo go into a 14 day self isolation up on your return.

Polly Metallic

Official TUG Pool Recruiter
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our NH exchange was cancelled 14 days before check-in. I booked a week in Massanutten VA, which was similar driving distance, and we just returned yesterday. We only took one bathroom break each way on the road, and we ate in the car as we had plenty of food with us. While at the resort we cooked on the grills, but we also ate indoors three times, and outdoors at patio dining a handful of times. Servers wore masks, guests wore masks to and from their seats, tables were spaced widely, and we felt perfectly comfortable. I’m really glad we went. The resort had just reopened the week before we went, so the entire facility had been deep cleaned, and occupancy was only 50%. We felt it would be wise to go in June rather than assume travel would be any safer this fall. It was a matter of grabbing the chance to get away while we could!

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought the shutdowns were being eased worldwide but the more I research, the more I find so many travel restrictions, closed airports, 14 day quarantines, testing requirements, etc. For example, Cayman Islands airport is closed until Sept 1st to international travel and requires a 14 day quarantine. Fiji has a 14 day quarantine and international flights have been canceled coming in. Bahamas is supposed to open up on July 1st but they will require a negative Covid test before anyone is allowed in. I heard Hawaii still has a 14 day quarantine for inbound mainland and local citizens (there are two separate threads for Hawaii so let’s not bombard this thread with Hawaii info). Not sure what is going on with other places in the Caribbean and Europe.

These are all places I was thinking of visiting later this year or next year but now I am feeling pessimistic about travel in 2020 or 2021. If these travel restrictions stay in place until the end of 2020, I am becoming skeptical about what will even open for 2021. I am thinking maybe I should limit travel to mainland USA. I could visit my family later this year in Florida and keep all other travel within driving distance. Maybe a road trip to Pismo Beach to stay in our RV on the beach.

I am thinking of putting all travel planning on hold for 2021 too. I am depressed and feeling trapped at home!

I am wondering if we can start a new thread to share information about where US citizens are allowed to travel now and in the future as things do open up?
I agree a thread that's ongoing with where US citizens can travel and any criteria would be great.