• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where are the inexpensive rental cars???

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Flying into Ft. Laurdale December 9th and leaving early Sunday morning December 14th. Driving down to Key West and back for a few days of diving.

Airfare came in for $250 r/t from LAX. The best car rental to date is with Sunshine Rent-a-car for $182 found with Kayak.

Through Costco the least expensive economy cars are running $250 - $300 for this time period. This seems HIGH to me. Any recommendations?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Steve, you should just check really often. The car rental rates go down, down, down, the closer you get to the trip.

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see $140.99 + 21.10 taxes and fees for total of $162.09 for Thrifty on hotwire.com

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
rentalcarmomma.com often this is lower rates than other sites

Dollar has good rates normally and you do not have to hold with a credit card.

Our Maui jeep rental was $200 cheaper through Dollar.

For Hilton Head Island we used Hertz and it $110 and $147 with all taxes.

There are varying discount codes I try II/RCI/AAA and Marriott. I have read that car rental rates change 7 times a day on the average.

I get good rates with Hertz but not this week. Thrifty rates for Orlando thru rentalcarmomma were $20.00 less than dollar.

Last edited:

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
After much checking, the best I could do was with ACE car rental offering $185 ($29/day plus taxes), and for giggles I made a bid for $19/day with Priceline and won Avis! $150 for this rental with taxes.

Only makes me wish I bid $14. <g>

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
Guess what? The rentals during Xmas in Orlando are still outrageous. I've been searching for a least 5 months and have yet to find a rental under $500.00 per week for an economy. I have not booked anything yet while waiting for the prices to go down. Even using Costco and Sams Club isn't helping. What a nightmare!

Last edited:

i39249

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was in the same situation last week looking for car rental out of Fort Lauderdale (FLL) for 12/31/08 to 1/3/09. I looked at Costco among others hoping to find a good rate. No luck. Finally after going thru several searches, found that AVIS was the cheapest. I usually use Alamo in Hawaii due to the low rates offered via Costco. After searching for a couple of days, AVIS came back with about $ 150 including taxes and everything for the 3 days. Maybe AVIS is the place to search for Florida during this time of the year ?

JamminJoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village at Parkway, Week 52, RCI Points
Grandview at Las Vegas, Week 11
I just returned from Miami. I reserved my car through Priceline, I offered a price of $15.00/Day for a full sized car and it was accepted by Alamo on my first try.

eakhat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Princeline Question

I have never gone through Priceline before for renting cars. Can you request rates for two drivers? I like Costco because two people can drive the car without hefty charges.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is what I just did; made a reservation about 6 months ago for a week at about $320; kept watching rates; canceling and re-booking when to my advantage; went on Priceline today, two days before arrival and got Avis compact for $180 ($15/day); probably overbid a dollar or two. My last 5 or 6 trips I have always gotten a big discount using Priceline two days out.