• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where are all the hummingbirds??

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
I live in the Hudson Valley of New York State. We get the ruby-throated hummingbirds here during the summer. This year we had one hummingbird, then it disappeared. Where are they?? Has anyone else seen this happening?

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Same here. I have seen one in the past couple months. Usually in the summer, I need to replenish my feeder every 7-10 days. I had a 2 week trip lately and my feeder was still pretty full when I came back.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I live in the Hudson Valley of New York State. We get the ruby-throated hummingbirds here during the summer. This year we had one hummingbird, then it disappeared. Where are they?? Has anyone else seen this happening?

As you know we are literally neighbors. Actually, I did notice a hummingbird coming by our door this past week where we used to have a feeder many years ago and for various reasons cannot put it there anymore. He/she was really loud and fairly big.

I feel bad- but last year I tried to set a new type feeder off our deck not far from the original spot and the only thing that went for it was a bear, who eventually broke it.

So- no hummingbird feeder up this year.

PS- Didn't we just recently have this same issue? Wasn't it last year or the year before- when we said there seemed to be less hummingbirds?

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
As you know we are literally neighbors. Actually, I did notice a hummingbird coming by our door this past week where we used to have a feeder many years ago and for various reasons cannot put it there anymore. He/she was really loud and fairly big.

I feel bad- but last year I tried to set a new type feeder off our deck not far from the original spot and the only thing that went for it was a bear, who eventually broke it.

So- no hummingbird feeder up this year.

PS- Didn't we just recently have this same issue? Wasn't it last year or the year before- when we said there seemed to be less hummingbirds?
Here are some previous Tug threads mentioning decrease in hummingbird sightings-
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/paying-farmers-to-welcome-birds.209572/#post-1615880.

I'll add another one in a different post.

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also have two feeders out again, and because the weather has been cooler, I'm only cleaning & refilling weekly. (When it's hotter, it's important to get the sugar water switched out more often as it goes bad, so I've read.)
As last year, I think we have only two couples or so. The populations have definitely been down for several years now.
But I'm happy to see they're doing well in other areas of ID, Jim. Thanks for your post.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Lot's of hummingbirds in Palm Desert last week. Not a colorful as back east, though.

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a feeder out (need to replace a second one that's broken) and see at least a few each day.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I read about some initiatives in our state to plant gardens to attract certain birds and pollinating insects. In case anyone is interested in planting. My grandma had a whole hedge of azaleas and always a hummingbird. Don't think she even had a feeder.

5 PLANTS THAT ATTRACT HUMMINGBIRDS
  • Bee Balm. A staple in most herb gardens, this plant is a member of the mint family, and, as the name suggests, it also attracts bees and butterflies as well as hummingbirds.
  • Petunia. ...
  • Azalea. ...
  • Foxglove. ...
  • Morning Glory. ...

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
No shortage in Salem Oregon. Patti makes sure we have plants/flowers that attract Hummingbirds. We do not believe in artificial feeders. Also we have a multi-level flowing fountain in the Front Yard they like. It is fun to watch them drink from the fountain - sometimes while flying and sometimes they land on the top level. On occasion while reading on the Front Porch (large covered front porch/Craftman Style House) I will hear a buzz/hum and I will look up and one of the Hummingbirds is checking me out.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We have four cats so we don't put a feeder out, but we have orange, lemon and apple trees in the back, and Mexican sage in the front, so we have plenty of plants to attract them. Seems like we have the same amount as in previous years.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I think my DW has singlehandedly changed the migration patterns of the hummingbirds here in Northern California. She puts out five feeders daily, each holding a half gallon of nectar, and refills them and cleans them daily. There are literally hundreds of birds that visit our porch. Quite a sight.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think my DW has singlehandedly changed the migration patterns of the hummingbirds here in Northern California. She puts out five feeders daily, each holding a half gallon of nectar, and refills them and cleans them daily. There are literally hundreds of birds that visit our porch. Quite a sight.

So THAT'S where our hummingbirds have gone! :D

Wow, that's a lot of feeders & nectar to deal with each day, but sounds like you almost have a sanctuary for them--sounds like great photo ops as well.