• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where and when to see the northern lights? Any timeshares perfect for that, and what time of year?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Our daughter-in-law asked me about going to Nova Scotia to see the lights, but she thought you could also see them from Vermont? I have no idea, just hoping you all know where we can go and if there is a timeshare I can request to see the lights.

Would it be better to look at Alaska?

Any help you can give would be very appreciated.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I follow the northern light sightings in New Hampshire. They are still rare enough occurances that you really can't "plan" for one in advance. Seeing the northern lights is on my bucket list. One day I will just jump in the car to drive north if/when an occurance is likely to happen. Other than that, I think it is a designated trip to Iceland.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I follow the northern light sightings in New Hampshire. They are still rare enough occurances that you really can't "plan" for one in advance. Seeing the northern lights is on my bucket list. One day I will just jump in the car to drive north if/when an occurance is likely to happen. Other than that, I think it is a designated trip to Iceland.
Thank you for answering. I am thinking Iceland is a trip for another year.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I am about 2 hrs north of Toronto Ontario in a rural (dark) area and have seen the Northern Lights 3 times in the last 30 years. They may have been visible a few times that I didn't catch sight of them, but it is a rare sighting this far south. On the other hand a friend in the Edmonton Alberta area who is also in a rural/dark area has seen them 4 or 5 times this year! They are beautiful and amazing when you can see them.

~Diane

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have only seen them once in northern Michigan when I was a kid.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I don't think planning a trip to specifically experience the northern lights is really feasible, even in Iceland. It's not like it happens all of the time, only when the solar storms are active and the conditions are right. I grew up in northern MN and saw them only two or three times. Also, even in the continental US, if you do experience them they will be just in the lower part of the horizon -- they will be nothing like what is seen in pictures where they come high across the sky. Fun to experience, but very difficult to plan to see, IMO.

Kurt

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
They are more a factor of solar storms than times of the year. You can also see them at the south pole if you did not realize it.

I have seen them when I was in Banff in the 1990s just by chance.

I don't know if you can say there is a season and a location.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think planning a trip to specifically experience the northern lights is really feasible, even in Iceland. It's not like it happens all of the time, only when the solar storms are active and the conditions are right. I grew up in northern MN and saw them only two or three times. Also, even in the continental US, if you do experience them they will be just in the lower part of the horizon -- they will be nothing like what is seen in pictures where they come high across the sky. Fun to experience, but very difficult to plan to see, IMO.

Kurt
I think you are right. Going from Colorado to see the lights sounds rather a fool's errand.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
We saw them when we went to Iceland a few years ago, and we were fortunate. We were staying far enough outside of a small town and the hotel called everyone who requested it at 3 or 4 am to let them know they were visible.

We also loved Chana Hot Springs in Alaska although we were there in the summer. Wherever you go I think you will do better with places like both of these that make a specialty out of northern lights and will arrange things like 3 am phone calls.

JMNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas
I have a friend who grew up in Rovaniemi (sp?) Finland. He said that during the months of the year when it is dark most of the time, you can see them whenever there's a solar event that would trigger them. So perhaps a trip there may make it worth a shot. I know there are a few resorts in that area as I've looked at going for this reason myself.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
A dark sky is important! My sister-in-law saw them once during the summer from her back yard in rural Indiana. It's an ideal location for stargazing and meteor showers, too! A big open sky and very limited or practically no light pollution.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Our daughter-in-law asked me about going to Nova Scotia to see the lights, but she thought you could also see them from Vermont? I have no idea, just hoping you all know where we can go and if there is a timeshare I can request to see the lights.

Would it be better to look at Alaska?

Any help you can give would be very appreciated.

I researched this and Yellowknife Canada is a very good place to view Northern Lights. We have been trying to go to Yellowknife for the last two years but covid shut us down. Yellowknife is known for more clear nights and less weather problems so making reservations can work well. Our second choice is north of Fairbanks at Chenna Hot Springs. The problem here is you need to go when you know the weather is clear.

Bill

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I researched this and Yellowknife Canada is a very good place to view Northern Lights. We have been trying to go to Yellowknife for the last two years but covid shut us down. Yellowknife is known for more clear nights and less weather problems so making reservations can work well. Our second choice is north of Fairbanks at Chenna Hot Springs. The problem here is you need to go when you know the weather is clear.

Bill
A few years ago my SIL and her husband went to Fairbanks to see the northern lights. They were there for two weeks and all it did was rain. She was so disappointed. Seems like you have to get lucky to see them.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
A few years ago my SIL and her husband went to Fairbanks to see the northern lights. They were there for two weeks and all it did was rain. She was so disappointed. Seems like you have to get lucky to see them.

For Fairbanks I would make my reservation last minute based on weather and solar activity. The problem is alot of people do this so lodging can be tricky.

Yellowknife is where we plan to go. Late September with no moon is when we want to go because the weather isn't as cold. Even then we would check weather and solar activity and like to have the ability to cancel our reservations last minute.

Bill

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Akureyri Iceland. My friend went there in early December and saw lights on their 5th and last night there.