• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

When your parents can no longer use their memberships

tberman

TUG Member
Reaction score
My father passed away and mother has advanced dementia. They owned many timeshares. Now we kids have taken legal ownership (transfer) but don't know how to get access to our mother's RCI account to trade them. She has many points sitting there. Ideas?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
My father passed away and mother has advanced dementia. They owned many timeshares. Now we kids have taken legal ownership (transfer) but don't know how to get access to our mother's RCI account to trade them. She has many points sitting there. Ideas?

1) - Have you found any paperwork that would list the account information.
RCI still sends me a couple of paper mailings a year.

2)- she was probably not using on-line access. RCI has phone access and staff.
[ I do a lot of viewing on line / but do call to access certain functions- including some exchange fee deals that require calling]

3) - RCI memberships require payment to keep active. You could call to find out when this is next required.
FYI - I let mine “lapse” for a number of years. RCI had no problem “ reactivating “ it when I asked how and provided a credit card to pay.

Last edited:

tberman

TUG Member
Reaction score
My problem is when I call I have to pretend to be her for them to talk to me and then things get complicated if I want to actually do something. I need to get on the membership I think -? She's still current in her payment but you're right, I should check when the next is due - if we can use it somehow... (Thanks for replying)

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
My problem is when I call I have to pretend to be her for them to talk to me and then things get complicated if I want to actually do something. I need to get on the membership I think -? She's still current in her payment but you're right, I should check when the next is due - if we can use it somehow... (Thanks for replying)

my suggestion is to take the account number ( if or once you have it) and set up on line access - which would make it easier to use for you.

tberman

TUG Member
Reaction score
my suggestion is to take the account number ( if or once you have it) and set up on line access - which would make it easier to use for you.
I have that. Sometimes I have more complicated things and need help. I guess I keep pretending to be her.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I have that. Sometimes I have more complicated things and need help. I guess I keep pretending to be her.

Welcome to TUG .
Ask questions on the more complicated RCI & exchanging things & someone here likely knows the answer ,
and / or can tell you the best way to accomplish what you want

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have power of attorney? If you do, you may be able to use that to switch her membership over to your name, or to persuade RCI that they can speak to you rather than to her.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
One of the reasons I second the idea of setting up online access is that you can chat with RCI as well - and in many cases, I have been able to have questions answered and/or solve problems via that medium. It also gives you access to a lot of info about their holdings.
Have you tried this yet? (Meaning asking any questions via chat and/or email?)

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
As I read this:

..I wondered the following:

Does a child getting on the RCI account in any way obligate them in the future financially to either the resorts and/or RCI?

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I were on Rci account for years. I obtained new ownership with my daughter as co owner and was able to take my husband off and put my daughter on. No charge at all. My husband also has dementia they should work with you

Last edited:

tberman

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I were on Rci account for years. I obtained new ownership with my daughter as co owner and was able to take my husband off and put my daughter on. No charge at all. My husband also has dementia they should work with you
I think if either original owner could talk to them... Maybe I'll just tell them.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
One of the reasons I second the idea of setting up online access is that you can chat with RCI as well - and in many cases, I have been able to have questions answered and/or solve problems via that medium. It also gives you access to a lot of info about their holdings.
Have you tried this yet? (Meaning asking any questions via chat and/or email?)

When you're chatting online with RCI they can't tell that you're really just a dog that knows how to type....

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@tberman
Welcome to TUG:
What timeshares do you all have? weeks or points, or both?