• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

When you book a resort from an exchange company do you view the resorts website?

When booking a resort where do you expect to find the most accurate information?

• photos and information on exchange company website (RCI, INterval)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

connect1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Curious, mostly because I do this for a living, and so many of the resort websites are outdated ... When you are searching resorts in RCI, Interval, other exchange companies, or here on TUG, do you visit the resort website or do you base your decision on the photos posted on the exchange company website?

Or... do you solely base it on reviews here on TUG, through RCI, TripAdvisor, etc.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you questions are a bit different.

Your poll is: where do I expect to find the most accurate info.
Your text is: do you base your decision on info on TUG, Exchange Co or website.

Personally:
I expect to find the most accurate info about what the resort offers on their website.
I expect to find the most accurate info about the condition of the resort on TUG, exchange company reviews or other travel websites (tripadvisor)

So...in a nutshell.....I research before I confirm anything to a place I haven't been to.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I blindly trust anything I see on the "High quality HD video" and pictures found on Interval or RCI.
Nothing ever changes with these resorts anyway.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Ok, sorry, I was apparently incapacitated there for a minute.

Really? I trust nothing but hit 3-4 sites minimum on any resort I don't know by brand or experience.
Google reviews: 1 grain of salt. TripAdvisor: 2 grains of salt and shot of tequila to help me forget. Tug: Taken with aspirin to cure the hangover from bad web reviews, but usually pretty dang accurate. Especially in the posts when specifically discussed with experienced members.

Warning: Govt. research shows that use of II or RCI reviews and information concerning resorts can cause vacation discomfort and inflammation.

IMHO. YMMV

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I look at the website, check TUG and trip advisor reviews . Even though some have a couple of poor reviews, the good out weigh the bad. Most of the time it’s not disappointing.
I’m glad to see RCI putting info on construction that might be going on at a resort I may be think of exchanging into. Have stayed at a few places that were being renovated and it’s not very relaxing to be there during renovations. A heads up is always appreciated.
Silentg

connect1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, sorry, I was apparently incapacitated there for a minute.

Really? I trust nothing but hit 3-4 sites minimum on any resort I don't know by brand or experience.
Google reviews: 1 grain of salt. TripAdvisor: 2 grains of salt and shot of tequila to help me forget. Tug: Taken with aspirin to cure the hangover from bad web reviews, but usually pretty dang accurate. Especially in the posts when specifically discussed with experienced members.

Warning: Govt. research shows that use of II or RCI reviews and information concerning resorts can cause vacation discomfort and inflammation.

IMHO. YMMV[/QUOTE

:) I wondered about that first response!:)

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Anytime I book or exchange anything I check everything- the resort's website, Trip Advisor, the exchange company if one is involved, Yelp, Expedia, Booking.com. Hotel.com- you name it. Also- I join the resorts' Facebook page. I actually look at the TUG last because a lot are old.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I read the reviews on the exchange website, TUG and Trip Advisor. Generally I look for comments/opinions on specific things to get an appreciation for whether or not the review is credible. I’ve never been one to rely on the averages of the responses, but look to the underlying info for trends and whether things have gotten corrected.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I might be doing too much, but I first check Tug to see which resorts are in the area I want to go, and make note of which exchange company that they are with. Then I check TripAdvisor, then I go to the resort directory of the exchange company to check the resort website link. Also, YouTube can be a good source for room layouts/resort walkthroughs. Only then do I narrow down which resorts I would accept and put in an ongoing search.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Of course......I think Tugger's are absolutely NOT the norm in the industry.

I'm always surprised when.... A friend will ask me "can you help my parents/aunt/friend figure out what to do with their timeshare?" ....and the owner's of the timeshare have no idea what they actually own or how to use it.

I think most Tugger's--me included--are info-junkies and prefer facts and 1st-hand opinions to glossy brochures and ads produced by the sellers....not the users.

Just my 2c

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
All of the above. I'm retired so have the time to spend on checking everything I can find. I actually did the same when I was working but then did it on the weekend. Many times I find things on one site and not another. An example is with a two bedroom how many bathrooms? Some will have one others two.
One site might give construction updates where another doesn't. Even something such as partial kitchen. One site might leave it at that where another site might say a one burner stove top.
Bart

connect1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course......I think Tugger's are absolutely NOT the norm in the industry.

I'm always surprised when.... A friend will ask me "can you help my parents/aunt/friend figure out what to do with their timeshare?" ....and the owner's of the timeshare have no idea what they actually own or how to use it.

I think most Tugger's--me included--are info-junkies and prefer facts and 1st-hand opinions to glossy brochures and ads produced by the sellers....not the users.

Just my 2c

Really good point. I agree Tugger's are savvier all the way around - research, knowledge of properties, what's not being explained, etc. I do believe the public does more research these days but are often reliant on reviews that have stacked in a property (or products) favor. Finally, Google is catching on to this and is starting blacklisting of vetting reviews.