• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

When travelling, what’s your favourite State Fair food?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
In the summer, I just love attending various state/local fairs. Yes, I enjoy the rodeo but too old for the rides. I plan on travelling this summer to Wyoming and Colorado.

But my favourite is trying out the food!

Yup, those sugar donuts, candied waffles and other high fat, no food value unique dishes.

My favourite is the smoked roast beef sandwich smothered with homemade BBQ sauce. Oh yes...I can feel my taste buds water and expand...and my waistline. Oh well, just a fair hazard.

So, what’s your favourite, unique state fair food that you dream of getting every year?

And/or

What state fair food do you really want to try this year? Forget the waistline...fattening food is fun

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here we have the rainbow trout feed at the Buhl Catholic church booth- they've been putting it on forever. or Basque Chorizo Sammich or the ever popular 'Tater Pig' which is a large, locally produced pork sausage tucked into an Idaho baked potato, with all the trimmings. YUM! Chase it with some hand dipped local ice cream in a home made waffle cone. The county fair is in Late August/Early Sept.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Here we have the rainbow trout feed at the Buhl Catholic church booth- they've been putting it on forever. or Basque Chorizo Sammich or the ever popular 'Tater Pig' which is a large, locally produced pork sausage tucked into an Idaho baked potato, with all the trimmings. YUM! Chase it with some hand dipped local ice cream in a home made waffle cone. The county fair is in Late August/Early Sept.

Salt then sweet. Oh yeah.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Fried cheese curds at the Minnesota State Fair. Hands down the best "fair food", IMO. They are nothing like cheese sticks or cheese curds that are popular appetizers at many restaurants, BTW.

Kurt

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I plan on travelling this summer to Wyoming and Colorado.
That sparked a memory. A few years after we moved to Colorado, we decided one August to head to the Colorado State Fair in Pueblo. We were used to midwest-style state fairs, but found out quickly that Colorado's was about the size of some of the larger county fairs in MN/IA/WI, etc., and nothing like the state fairs we were used to. Kind of a let down, but we still had a fun weekend.

Kurt

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I always thought of booking (hopefully timeshares) near State fair venues. Just walking around, smelling the grease and sucking on a corn dog seems like a heavenly vacation experience. Sure beats 200 bux a day at Disney. Plus, I’m too old for Mickey anyway. So, this year I will do 2 states. I live in Alberta where we have the Calgary Stampede in early July, Klondike Days in Edmonton in Mid July and they are both very good. I am literally surrounded by great fairs in Montana, Idaho, and North/South Dakota too. I have heard of the one in Pueblo which is the one I plan to attend. I hear the ones in Arizona are good as well.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fried cheese curds at the Minnesota State Fair. Hands down the best "fair food", IMO. They are nothing like cheese sticks or cheese curds that are popular appetizers at many restaurants, BTW.

Kurt

I have found one restaurant that comes very close. The cheese curds at the Buffalo Tap in Savage, MN are quite amazing as well. I haven’t been to the MN state fair in years, but these definitely took me back.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have found one restaurant that comes very close. The cheese curds at the Buffalo Tap in Savage, MN are quite amazing as well. I haven’t been to the MN state fair in years, but these definitely took me back.
I have a BIL that lives in Prior Lake, so I may have to check those out sometime!

Kurt

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We have not gone to state fairs when traveling or otherwise, but when my husband was a Boy Scout leader, he and my son made some wicked funnel cakes at outdoor events!

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
The last time I was at a state fair would have been around 1992.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
The last one I went to was in Milwaukee a couple of years ago. My son had gone and we all went together a different day. The big thing there are the Cream Puffs and they were very good.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a city slicker and absolutely LOVE state fairs. It's just a totally different world than my own. I love seeing the kids in the barns with their animals.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
We usually visit the Minnesota State Fair every year. On my list of favorites are the roasted corn on the cob, french fries made with fresh potatoes and the Gizmo sandwich (an Italian sausage mixture with melted cheese on a soft bun). We also like visiting the dining hall sponsored by a local church; good home cooked food in a place you can sit down and funds go to charities they support...plus they have a local gourmet ice cream vendor who creates a unique flavor for them every year.

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Every year we buy an annual pass for the Texas State Fair. Several years back the Fair started a food competition, and it gets a lot of local news coverage. You would be surprised how much people care about the newest food at the Fair. The prices on some items are kind of crazy, so you definitely need to pick just a few from the list.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Iowa State Fair has a new food stand in the last few years that makes waffles on a stick. They offer chicken and candy bar versions. Both are good, but the chicken is our family favorite.
Apparently the process for new vendors to get in is difficult and lengthy. Rumor has it these guys were such stand-outs that they made it in on their first try.

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever experienced The Big E in West Springfield, Ma. It's a huge New England states fair with state buildings to walk through, buy local products , if course concession stands, rides, lots of livestock entertainment, crafts and Old Storrowtown Village they have yummy Maine baked potatoes, fried donuts, all kinds of unique eats that they offer each year!! It used to be an annual event and was always something new to see.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does anyone else have this song running through your head when reading this thread?

BTW, what kind of car is that? Anyone know?

Kurt

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else have this song running through your head when reading this thread?

BTW, what kind of car is that? Anyone know?

Kurt
Jaguar D-Type. Maybe 1958. Le Mans winner that year.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the only one that watches "Carnival Eats". I love that show. Some of the items are over the top but many look delicious. I would love to scope out a few state fairs in the summer and make it a road trip.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

Kurt
Yes, MN cheese curds are great, but I enjoy deep fried SPAM curds even more.
i-7MdQpZJ-X3.jpg

I also like the Blue Barn's waffle cone filled with deep fried chicken nuggets and covered in spicy sausage gravy. There's even a surprise bite of chocolate at the bottom of the waffle cone. Yum!

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Neumanns Bar in North St. Paul claims they use the same cheese curd recipe as the MN State Fair. They are quite good.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Always wondered about the CO state fair , if I'd be disappointed compared to the Minnesota one. Now I know

That sparked a memory. A few years after we moved to Colorado, we decided one August to head to the Colorado State Fair in Pueblo. We were used to midwest-style state fairs, but found out quickly that Colorado's was about the size of some of the larger county fairs in MN/IA/WI, etc., and nothing like the state fairs we were used to. Kind of a let down, but we still had a fun weekend.

Kurt