• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

    Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

    Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

    Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

    Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

    Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free!

    60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

    All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

When to split a three bedroom lockout?

CMF

TUG Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Messages
2,628
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Location
Germantown, MD
Hello everyone.

I'm not going to use my three bedroom Grande Vista in 2006. I want to exchange it for something in 2007 and I don't know whether to keep the unit whole or split it. What is the deadline for making a decision? Marriott says 60 days before check-in[I reserved an October week].

And, what happens with respect to my II account if I decide to split the unit? Do I call and tell them that I split off the lockout and then see two units instead of one in my II account? A two bedroom + an efficiency?

More questions . . . what happens as the time gap between an unfulfilled request first exchange and the check-in date narrows? My guess is that I can cancel the request, deposit the week at a late date, and risk getting less than desirable exchange power in return or, use the week?

What would you do? As it stands right now, I have the three bedroom reserved with an October 14 check-in date. Should I try to rent-it?

I'm really having fun now! :D

Charles
 

Spence

Banned
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
2,231
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
MD Suburban
CMF said:
What would you do? As it stands right now, I have the three bedroom reserved with an October 14 check-in date. Should I try to rent-it?
Good luck with that, I don't see the demand for 14Oct.
 

tompk

TUG Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2005
Messages
214
Reaction score
2
Points
378
Location
Madison,NC
GV 3 br lockout

I don't know the highest demand week there in gold season, maybe Thanksgiving? I would call Marriott and switch my reservation to a higher demand week and lock it off to a studio and a 2 br and at least book myself a flexchange this fall on HHI using the studio. Of course Ocean Watch is nice too, but a little tougher to get as its only one resort and still under construction.
 

Bill4728

Moderator
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
11,039
Reaction score
600
Points
899
Location
Lake Tapps, WA
I'm not sure about Marriott but in general, size matters to II. Your 3 bd unit will have a lot more trading power than a 2 bd. So if you need a harder to get resort, keep the 3 bd, but if you're trying for a lesser demand season split it up and get the 2 units to deposit.
 

CMF

TUG Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Messages
2,628
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Location
Germantown, MD
Thanksgiving was all booked up.

tompk said:
I don't know the highest demand week there in gold season, maybe Thanksgiving? I would call Marriott and switch my reservation to a higher demand week and lock it off to a studio and a 2 br and at least book myself a flexchange this fall on HHI using the studio. Of course Ocean Watch is nice too, but a little tougher to get as its only one resort and still under construction.

I know that I didn't want a week before Thanksgiving and Christmas because I remember reading that this is the slowest time in Orlando. So I asked for something between the begining of the Gold Season and the holidays. There was nothing available in September so I settled for early October.

I can't trade for anything this year because my vacation calendar is already happily filled. So if I deposit and exchange it would have to be for a week in 2007.

In the mean time I'm letting my friends and family know that the week is available just in case anyone is interested.


Charles
 

tompk

TUG Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2005
Messages
214
Reaction score
2
Points
378
Location
Madison,NC
3 br GV

You could just lock it off and deposit the two pieces. Then you have until Oct 2008 to book a couple of exchanges. Or leave it as a 3 br for greater trading power, deposit it and have until Oct 2008 to book an exchange. Whether you lock off or not probably depends what you're eventually going to try to exchange for.
 

CMF

TUG Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Messages
2,628
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Location
Germantown, MD
I guess I'm just wondering what it can pull with a late deposit?

tompk said:
You could just lock it off and deposit the two pieces. Then you have until Oct 2008 to book a couple of exchanges. Or leave it as a 3 br for greater trading power, deposit it and have until Oct 2008 to book an exchange. Whether you lock off or not probably depends what you're eventually going to try to exchange for.


I think I'm going to try for one of the nicer Arizona resorts next year in the Spring or Fall. How hard are these to get?

Charles
 

tompk

TUG Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2005
Messages
214
Reaction score
2
Points
378
Location
Madison,NC
3 br GV

I'm not familiar with trading for AZ but I can see quite bit in Oct of '06 in AZ using my GV platinum 1 br. I think you can search availability online with Interval without depositing. Just need your reservation number.
 
Last edited:

CMF

TUG Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Messages
2,628
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Location
Germantown, MD
Good tip!

tompk said:
I'm not familiar with trading for AZ but I can see quite bit in Oct of '06 in AZ using my GV platinum 1 br. I think you can search availability online with Interval without depositing. Just need your reservation number.


I searched Arizona using my Foxrun week for the Fall 2006 and found some very nice trades. I imagine that the Grande Vista will do as well? And, a cursory review of the Arizona resorts show that they don't have anything larger than a two bedroom. So it looks like I'll take my chances and split and deposit both the two bedroom and the lock out section and try to pull Arizona with the two bedroom.

Charles
 

CMF

TUG Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Messages
2,628
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Location
Germantown, MD
I can't see the moving parts?

I'm still fuzzy on the mechanics of the split and deposit process.

I think that it may go something like this:

1. Call owner services and tell them that I want to split the unit and pay them the $75 fee.
2. Call II and tell them that I split my Marriott 3 bedroom.
3. II calls Marriott and verifies that I split-off the lockout.
4. II's website then shows two units availble for exchange - a two bedroom and an efficiency.

Does that sound about right?

Charles
 

tompk

TUG Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2005
Messages
214
Reaction score
2
Points
378
Location
Madison,NC
Yeah you call II and pay the fee and they give you two reservation numbers. I don't know if Marriott can deposit for you, but I believe that once you have your reservation numbers you are good to go online to II and deposit, search or both. You can deposit online without calling Interval and yes you will show 2 deposits available, the studio and the 2 br.
 
Last edited:

ondeadlin

TUG Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
1,642
Reaction score
7
Points
398
Location
Dexter, MI
I would go a different direction and deposit it as a 3BR, just to get some idea of its trade power.
 

CMF

TUG Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Messages
2,628
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Location
Germantown, MD
It's a nice idea.

ondeadlin said:
I would go a different direction and deposit it as a 3BR, just to get some idea of its trade power.


But I think I'll pass. It's not really a trader. I would only exchange it if I can pull a three GV three bedroom with my Foxrun. Then I would turn around and use the GV I own for bigger fish.

Charles
 

Amy

TUG Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
999
Reaction score
0
Points
226
Location
Pacific NW
Charles,

You really should try to get a higher demand week if you can for purposes of trading. Mid-October will be fairly dead demand-wise, I think. (Sure there are the super Disney fans who visit during that time for the Epcot Food & Wine Festival but I think most of those folks prefer to stay onsite.) Even if you other weeks were not available when you first booked this week additional weeks may become available as owners change plans. I think you own the Gold season, right? Doesn't week 35 cover Labor Day weekend? And of course there is Thanksgiving. Regardless of which week you settle on, don't wait too long to deposit into II because your trade power continues to decrease the closer you reach that 60 days mark.
 

jancurious

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
827
Reaction score
22
Points
378
Location
Roseville, CA
I agree with Amy, separate it & deposit it quickly. I would also split it.

Put in a request for your 2007 exchange right away. If it is for spring or fall, you should do very well as people haven't even picked those weeks yet (let alone deposited them).

Save your lockout side for flexchange when you can pull anything with it.

You are just starting to have fun Charles! :)

Good luck!

Jan
 
Top