• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

When the resort is the destination...........

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I started to think about this over the summer after I snagged a week at Hyatt Wild Oak in San Antonio. I had always heard so much about the resort, I just wanted to go. The resort was lovely and all that the area offered was great (but it was secondary).

So, have you grabbed an exchange just because you wanted to go the resort before and the location was secondary. If so, which one was it?

I think this may be great way to explore areas that I may not have even thought about. Go for the resort...but then explore the area.

Example: Branson - I had never heard of it until I started with TimeShares. Still not really on my I must do list.....but if it had an awesome resort, I just may snag something and give it a try!

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ive always thought the focus some folks have on 5 star accommodations was silly, after all Im going for the location... everything else is secondary> (and sometimes the only important thing about the location, is that its not home)

However, if there are choices, Ill always opt for the nicer resort.

But I understand the concept of resort as a stand alone destination. and can see planning a trip just for the resort, not ever planning to venture outside the gates. I just havent done it yet.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
The former Warner Springs Ranch (Southern California Mtns) was a destination resort, to me. We went just for the property; park the car and leave it sit. The resort offered 2500 acres to explore ... and lots of activities: horseback riding (the big draw for me, starting with their independent rider program and, later, my own horses), golf, hiking trails, HOT SPRINGS!, sail planes, tennis, the Lodge (major social hub), the historic casitas, critters, night sky programs, painting classes, etc. It was a "locals" place and many lifelong friendships were formed on that property ... sure do miss it!

Worldmark's Running Y in Klamath Falls, OR, has a similar feel, although more modern. I feel I could visit with no intention to leave. The property is large with a mixed use development of timeshare and vacation homes, multiple golf courses, a Lodge, indoor pool complex, etc. The natural setting is rustic / woodsy, lots of open space and the related critters: deer, coyote, rabbits, eagle, etc. My impression when I'm there: I'm welcome, there is no "hurry," please "let down" in comfort and style.

Disney's Vero Beach, FL, while small, could be a destination location for a few days. Who doesn't enjoy unwinding on a mostly quiet beach?

In the right weather, the Wyndham Pagosa, CO, resort might be a "sit, stay, relax, enjoy" place. We've been 4 times but always to attend a nearby horsey conference. I think I might enjoy a few days here with no agenda except to walk about the property, watch the clouds, gaze at the mountains ... oh, wait ... if I had free time at this place I know I'd be driving into town to use the Hot Springs. Well, except for those inviting hot springs, I think I could be settled into the Pagosa resort for a few happy days.

Falcon Glen, South Africa, is a destination resort ... at least if you aren't from the US on your first visit to SA with a long list of other things to see and do! Each unit is a stand alone house, most 2BR with loft, wrap-around patio with brick BBQ. The property offers both hot springs and cool pools, trampoline, mini-golf, some wildlife (baboons, lots of birds!!, cool reptiles, bats, and more), lovely landscaping and breath taking views. I was very glad we cancelled some of our plans just to "sit, stay, enjoy the resort."

Hmm, the more I think of it ... most of my timeshare history is mostly "for the resort" over the area. The resort almost has to carry at least 70% of the draw for me ...?

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with ronparise. I have never stayed at the same place twice, and to stay at the resort the entire time would drive me nuts! Location, location, location. The more the merrier.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Rhonda for the tips. I want to visit some of your suggestions. Warner Springs Ranch is gone? It sounds wonderful. Did another TS company buy it? I have II.
Is Worldmark still available in II?

I just snagged Harborside at Atlantis for the free Atlantis resort access.
I also think I would enjoy St John. I enjoyed Westin Kierland in Scottsdale, Arizona and the Royal Sands in Cancun. Westin Lagunamar is on future "choose a resort" list. I have not been there yet.

In the past, most of choices have been for location. Now as I am working so many hours, I have a need to relax. We sometimes choose resort and sometimes for location. different vacations...relaxing or sightseeing. I love sightseeing but it can be demanding..lol.

Last edited:

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rhonda - thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to look into these! Looking for something in April of 2017...place we have never been, with a great resort.

DVC Vero is a also a resort we stayed at this past year for a week. Same concept applied for me. I wanted to go to the resort, the area was secondary.

Not to be misunderstood.....we typically won't park ourselves for the week and never leave the grounds. We do go explore the surroundings and do whatever touristy stuff may be around. But.....the initial reservation is made because of the resort itself.

Should also note: we travel with one child. having plenty to do at the resort (pool, mini golf, kids activities, etc) does make for a better trip for us all!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
A lot of people consider Smuggs a family themed destination resort, with really no consideration for visiting places outside the resort, especially since a lot of driving would be involved since it is located in a very rural area. When we firs started going there, we did as well. We parked and never left the resort, except occasionally.Plenty to do there to keep us busy and the accommodation were nice.

As time went on, we started to venture out more and more- farther and farther and after 16 years we still come up with more places to explore in Vermont. But we still are just fine with hanging out at the resort and partaking in the activities there as well. The accommodations and amenities are great for us so we have the best of both worlds there.

I usually pick a destination first when we travel, but I also want very nice accommodations and some decent amenities. I won't pay airfare, for example, just to visit a resort as a destination unless there is a lot that I would want to see and do in the surrounding area.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're usually destination vacationers, and while a good resort is nice, it's usually not the destination for us.

A few exceptions:

Harborside at Atlantis. Incredible water park.

Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas (in a Savanna View Unit). While we have done Disney every time we've stayed there, we spend MUCH more time sitting on the balcony and enjoying the resort.

Hyatt Wild Oaks. Far smaller scale than Atlantis (and there IS a ton of other stuff to do in San Antonio), but we spent a lot of time at the resort.

HGVC Kings' Land. We didn't intend this to a destination resort, but we loved it so much that we only left the property three times the week we were there.

Although I haven't stayed there (at least in the timeshares), Big Cedar Lodge in Branson is a great destination resort. And plenty to do in nearby Branson.

We spent most of a week at Silverleaf's Villages in Flint, TX. It's like a mini Great Wolf Lodge, with a big indoor water park. A bit too small for a week (how many times do you want to go down a slide unless you're 5 years old?), but considering our cost for a week was about the same as a night or two at Great Wolf Lodge, it wasn't bad.

I'll be watching this thread for ideas for destination resorts!

wed100105

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can go to Wyndham Vacation Resorts at Glacier Canyon at Wisconsin Dells and never leave the property---actually we have done that probably 30 times! My kids are so spoiled by our timeshare ownership. :D

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've owned at Eagle Crest in central Oregon for over 10 years now, and although it could easily be considered a destination resort (3 golf courses, mini golf, 6 pools, splash park, spa, on-site bike rental, sports center w/indoor and outdoor tennis, etc), I could never stay there without leaving the resort. The surrounding area is just too beautiful and interesting to not get out and explore.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I haven't been to one yet but I can see going to a resort that has a private beach and staying at the resort nearly the entire trip. Or for a short romantic trip I can see us staying at the resort the whole time.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We use the timeshares to explore and enjoy the region. I'm not so much for just staying at a self-contained resort. Not that I mind getting back to the resort early for 'happy hour' of just hanging out on the patio/deck/lanai for extended morning breakfast/coffee, but that isn't the reason we travel.

OTOH, Trans-Atlantic/Pacific cruises have few ports and those 6-7 consecutive sea days are the ones I look forward to the most. Port days are usually hectic, trying to get off the ship early, join a tour, or self-catered walking tour of the port city, see the sights, galleries, museums/churches, catch a meal with some local flavor, then hurry back to the ship for yet another gourmet meal and 'Vegas Style' show. I'm getting to enjoy the cruises as a destination unto themselves.

Jim

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I think this is one of the reasons I actually DO NOT like cruises. I feel confined on a ship. My favorite part is getting off the boat and exploring. We only did one cruise. Had a great time, but not interested in going on one again.