• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

When do you plan to retire and first trip

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if those of you who are retired really don't work at all?

It may be different for us, because we have a business, but we cannot imagine ever not working at all. My husband has scaled down and he thinks that when he does "retire", he will work about half time. His long term plan is to take a full week off each quarter and a long weekend per month, but never close his business and stop working.
I have not drawn a paycheck in the 10+ years since I retired. We have traveled. I took on being chief cook- which is fine as I get to eat what I like. DW and I have had some health challenges that have forced her to slow down, but she's back to helping clients, mostly long term people whose families she has provided legal work to for years.

Life has been very good and we stay active. I walk, sing in a local chorale. DW plays horn in the symphony, paints and makes jewelry. We travel- not as actively as we once did, but still a half dozen or more cruises, TS vacay's a year and a second home if we get bored.

Jim

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
One of the reasons we have not considered retiring is the cost/lack of health care options until we are both 65...What sucks is that I don't work enough hours at the large org that I joined to qualify for health care benefits; they make sure I stay under the threshhold, and my small business can barely afford it.

that is the same thing that keeps us working. The day we retire from our jobs is the day our healthcare ends. So hitting 65 will be a banner day.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not worked a paying job since I walked out the door and have turned down two very lucrative short-term (6-8 weeks) assignments in my field of expertise. Part of retiring is not having work-related stress and IMO as long as I had a work-related responsibility I was going to have work-related stress/anxiety.

Now I volunteer at our church, an elementary school and a retiree association but I know I can walk away from those at any time if I desire.

Exactly this. After retiring from my full-time job in 2017, largely because of work-related stress, I actually did go back to work part-time last year, for the same employer. I retired *again* in October 2018. The PT work was a nice gig, and it didn't have the stress of the FT job, but even at that, I don't miss it. The volunteer and leisure time that I now enjoy, and not having a boss, is like a dream.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I will tell you, after seeing the Medicare rates for my husband yesterday. Medicare with the supplements are no bargain.

Example: $135 per month for Part B; $210 per month for Part G; $14.00 per month for part D (cheapest plan). Then Part B has a $185 per year deductible; Part A has a $1364 per BENEFIT PERIOD- NOT ANNUAL- deductible. If you're a couple, double that.

When I factor in health insurance for me at somewhere about $500- $600 per month- we are looking at a total of close to $1000 per month coming out of the household just for health insurance.

Retirement? What are we thinking? This is crazy.

I will only pay $60 per month to cover our whole family in 2020 in the HSA plan. Our company has 3 plans with the HSA being the least expensive. I’m for sure working now till 65

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Once our kids finish college, we could retire and pay for healthcare especially if we sold our home in California and moved to Nevada and lived off of the proceeds. However we love our home, and I still enjoy the intellectual stimulation of my encore job even though it doesn't pay well. Not sure what I would do otherwise. Would still bring my business with me because that could be done anywhere, but would probably travel back to where we live today for meetings...so why move?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm 55 and hope to retire in 5 years or less from the corporate world. We have a plan that if we can pull it off it will be a life long dream fulfilled and hope it becomes our life in retirement. We have enough Maui weeks, (12) 2BDRM units in the even years and 10 during odd years, and HHI weeks (8) that the plan is to spend 6 weeks in Maui in the winter and 4 weeks in the spring or fall on HHI.

With the Maui weeks we will stay 6 weeks in either a studio or 1BDRM, have friends and family come a few weeks and then rent the rest. The LOs will really bring amazing value when we can use and rent them in this way.

We will look to do the same on HHI for June or Sept. This will be the culmination of why I did what i did with all the Marriotts I've bought over the years now counting 27.

I've had this dream for sometime but lately I've been wondering how I will feel when the time comes.

For those that retired from a rewarding career did you end up missing the energy and successes you had?

Did you feel differently 3 months, 6 months after you retired?

In 5 years I really won't need to work for the money and year after year I become more and more tire of the Corp BS so I dream of the day I don't have to deal with the high pressure but at the same time it has been very good to my family so as much as I want this dream retirement I'm wondering if I will miss what is now a big part of my life where I'm very successful and not want to be retired but only realize this 3 months after I do retire.

Any regrets?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I'm 55 and hope to retire in 5 years or less from the corporate world. We have a plan that if we can pull it off it will be a life long dream fulfilled and hope it becomes our life in retirement. We have enough Maui weeks, (12) 2BDRM units in the even years and 10 during odd years, and HHI weeks (8) that the plan is to spend 6 weeks in Maui in the winter and 4 weeks in the spring or fall on HHI.

With the Maui weeks we will stay 6 weeks in either a studio or 1BDRM, have friends and family come a few weeks and then rent the rest. The LOs will really bring amazing value when we can use and rent them in this way.

We will look to do the same on HHI for June or Sept. This will be the culmination of why I did what i did with all the Marriotts I've bought over the years now counting 27.

I've had this dream for sometime but lately I've been wondering how I will feel when the time comes.

For those that retired from a rewarding career did you end up missing the energy and successes you had?

In 5 years I really won't need to work for the money and year after year I become more and more tire of the Corp BS so I dream of the day I don't have to deal with the high pressure but at the same time it has been very good to my family so as much as I want this dream retirement I'm wondering if I will miss what is now a big part of my life where I'm very successful and not want to be retired but only realize this 3 months after I do retire.

Any regrets?

For my first year of retirement I would have the blues on Sunday evening because psychologically I was gearing up for another week of work. It was nice when those feelings went away.

Do I miss the energy and successes of my career? Yes, but that is more than overridden by the time freedom and ability to not have all the things I wanted to do in my personal life have to be done in the evenings or on the weekends.

NO regrets!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Any regrets?
For the longest time, my identity was my career(s) - I had 2 very successful careers in the last 25 years before my retirement, and I was afraid that I would lose my identity when I retired. It was especially so when some of my closest friends were in top corporate positions and we would get together for dinner once in a while.

I quickly learned that I did not lose my identity when we retired. I am still the same person as I was. For a few months I did miss the recognition and perks that came with my work but those were not enough to want to go back to work. I am very happy to be retired. The other interesting observation in my interactions with other retirees in my community, whether it is golf, cards or volunteering, many of the retirees had similar illustrious careers.

You will enjoy your retirement. It is another phase in life and the sooner you retire the longer the time you get to enjoy the things that do not feel like work.

Last edited:

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade

Any regrets?

I retired 6 years ago and I have enjoyed it from the minute I walked out of the building for the last time. No regrets whatsoever. My life is more rewarding now than ever. I spend it with my wife and family doing the things we want to do. I don’t miss the pressure at all. I’ve lost weight and got in better shape. My cholesterol is down and I sleep better because I’m not rerunning today in my head or worrying about tomorrow. I know some people retire, don’t like it and then go back to work. I just don’t understand that. I can be very productive on my own. I don’t need a company and a boss for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any regrets?
No.
Nope.
Absolutely not.

Linda74

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Almost everyone I know who has retired go on their dream trip shortly afterwards.

In my case, I do plan to retire by 62. It could be later or earlier depending on how I feel about working. Currently, I love what I do but also want to ensure I get in some healthy retirement years to travel too. I have had some friends that retire late and then get sick and die shortly after. I really don’t want that to be me. I know...not my choice.

My first trip? Well, it’s not really the first trip there but it’s where I want to spend the winters. In Canada, the winters can wear you down along with the shorter daylight hours. When I was a kid, it didn’t bother me....not anymore. I think what has sustained me to keep surviving the winters here is that I go to the Sunny States often. Without that, I think I would be a basket case.

So, I plan to buy a condo in Puerto Vallarta in Old Town and then stay there for 4 months or more per year. Why Puerto Vallarta? The people are wonderful and THE COST OF LIVING is very affordable. Also, health care is affordable. Not to mention, I can get a direct flight there from where I live so I can see my kids easily and they can visit easily too.

My first pick frankly is Hawaii. I love the place but refuse to pay the crazy prices. The cost of living is just nuts. I know, I can afford it but I was raised very poor and I think the stinginess from childhood never left me. I can’t get the cost conscience out of my being.

So,

1. When do you plan to retire if all goes to plan?
2. Where will be your first trip? Is it a dream vacation or just a place you love? Do you plan to live there one day? If you do, why?

Here’s the Melacon in PV.

ccc4c1788a13bb1e8d8185a12455eaa7.jpg

I retired at 57, two years after my husband. Our first trip was to
Almost everyone I know who has retired go on their dream trip shortly afterwards.

In my case, I do plan to retire by 62. It could be later or earlier depending on how I feel about working. Currently, I love what I do but also want to ensure I get in some healthy retirement years to travel too. I have had some friends that retire late and then get sick and die shortly after. I really don’t want that to be me. I know...not my choice.

My first trip? Well, it’s not really the first trip there but it’s where I want to spend the winters. In Canada, the winters can wear you down along with the shorter daylight hours. When I was a kid, it didn’t bother me....not anymore. I think what has sustained me to keep surviving the winters here is that I go to the Sunny States often. Without that, I think I would be a basket case.

So, I plan to buy a condo in Puerto Vallarta in Old Town and then stay there for 4 months or more per year. Why Puerto Vallarta? The people are wonderful and THE COST OF LIVING is very affordable. Also, health care is affordable. Not to mention, I can get a direct flight there from where I live so I can see my kids easily and they can visit easily too.

My first pick frankly is Hawaii. I love the place but refuse to pay the crazy prices. The cost of living is just nuts. I know, I can afford it but I was raised very poor and I think the stinginess from childhood never left me. I can’t get the cost conscience out of my being.

So,

1. When do you plan to retire if all goes to plan?
2. Where will be your first trip? Is it a dream vacation or just a place you love? Do you plan to live there one day? If you do, why?

Here’s the Melacon in PV.

ccc4c1788a13bb1e8d8185a12455eaa7.jpg

Linda74

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I retired at 57, two years after my dear husband. Our first timeshare trip after retirement was to Greece, a week in Rhodes, a week in Crete and some days in Athens. That was followed by season ski passes in Vermont, a trip to Tuscany and a Mediterranean cruise, and our annual two weeks in PV. Two years of living like rock stars....and then out of the blue, my 62 year old husband had terminal cancer, right before our daughter’s wedding. So my advice is: retire when you can and travel your socks off. Life is unpredictable. A few years ago, I met a widowed gentleman who shares my love of travel. We take several trips a year, always PV but Europe often, especially river cruises. Have unloaded two of the timeshares as they just don’t work for me as well anymore...and travel (especially by air) is increasingly unpleasant. But am so thankful for timeshares as they allowed us to travel widely with our children....and really fortunate to have been able to travel well into retirement.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Neither Patti or I have worked a single day since we retired. Patti has several charities with which she is involved - St. Francis Family Shelter, Gardening in the City Park across the Street from our house, and Warming Centers for the Homeless during the Winter. I help with the first two but I do not formally belong.

kckaren21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mary Ann, healthcare insurance is expensive for a number of reasons. 1) all of the medical R&D somehow needs to get paid for. That's why MRI machines are so expensive and why some drugs are $1000 per dose. 2) Hospitals charge a fortune and then break even (what?). 3) Insurance subsidizes those in poor health by those with good health. Same with Medicare/Medicaid. 4) Then there is my favorite......having people pay for things that they don't really need and charging them a fortune. Like when I HAD to get custom orthotics that cost $150.

If everything was a Chinese menu, people would go to doctors and hospitals a lot, lot less. Maybe people would try to be more healthy too if they new that they had to pay for everything out of pocket like it was 100 years ago.

This has been a very interesting and enjoyable thread!

In the healthcare parts of this thread, no one has mentioned medical sharing plans.

I rec’d my first notice that my health insurance was canceled… 75 days earlier. A rude surprise from my husband’s employer! I was not eligible for Obamacare because it was over 60 days since I had had coverage. I scrambled and ended up choosing a medical sharing plan, which is saving me a lot of money. It was recommended by someone I respect, and a good friend has been on a medical sharing plan for several years and had a good experience. I chose a high deductible plan, and since it is not ACA compliant, I don’t get any wellness visits or tests. So, I signed up for a new concept here where I can go to a particular doctor office (and/or call in to a doctor 24/7) at no additional charge (I also got a blood panel and flu shot free).

For the medical sharing plan I pay monthly ~$250 + $150 for the local doctor, and I am saving $100/month for similar coverage to what I paid before.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
This has been a very interesting and enjoyable thread!

In the healthcare parts of this thread, no one has mentioned medical sharing plans.

I rec’d my first notice that my health insurance was canceled… 75 days earlier. A rude surprise from my husband’s employer! I was not eligible for Obamacare because it was over 60 days since I had had coverage. I scrambled and ended up choosing a medical sharing plan, which is saving me a lot of money. It was recommended by someone I respect, and a good friend has been on a medical sharing plan for several years and had a good experience. I chose a high deductible plan, and since it is not ACA compliant, I don’t get any wellness visits or tests. So, I signed up for a new concept here where I can go to a particular doctor office (and/or call in to a doctor 24/7) at no additional charge (I also got a blood panel and flu shot free).

For the medical sharing plan I pay monthly ~$250 + $150 for the local doctor, and I am saving $100/month for similar coverage to what I paid before.
I've never heard of medical sharing.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
DH 60 just retired but works 5 days a month at former business, filling in for others, but on his schedule. He's become a maniac for home renov projects. Fine with me. We need 2 kitchen and 5 bathroom renov between our house, retirement home, and now my Moms house! I plan to retire in 2 years at 58. I will probably work a bit on consulting basis.
On my list: making scrapbooks, online photo albums from shutterfly (never had much time when working with 3 kids-I've got all the photos shoved in a box), reading (I read all day at work--never any real leisure time reading excerpt a few novels), exercising more, learning how to cook (DH is an excellent cook and I never had the time/inclination to learn anything other than basics), and planning out home decor of retirement home (current decor is thrift store and/or beige pieces).
For travel-a big Europe trip EOY and additional US destinations via trading 2 TS. Thinking Pacific NW, SW FL/Keys, Palm Springs/CA, and Hawaii.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of medical sharing.
It is actually called health sharing. You can search on the internet for more information @Steve Fatula can elaborate as he is on it. I have looked at it and after checking with my doctors about its acceptance or not, I decided to still with regular medical insurance.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
It is actually called health sharing. You can search on the internet for more information @Steve Fatula can elaborate as he is on it. I have looked at it and after checking with my doctors about its acceptance or not, I decided to still with regular medical insurance.
I probably never heard of it, or needed to look into it, since I was always covered through my employer, even after retirement, until I reached Medicare age.

kckaren21

TUG Member
Reaction score

Google medical sharing plans for more info. Dave Ramsey recommended one, which I chose. I also looked into RV'er insurance and other travel insurance for a portable plan, because we plan to travel a lot. There were more options than I expected!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
How is 'medical sharing' different than traditional insurance. With insurance, the premiums collected from healthy subscribers pays the bills of those with claims. Isn't that 'sharing' the risk among a large pool?

geekette

Reaction score
Based on your rationale I assume you also don't by home insurance?

This is rolling the dice. Costs can easily reach a million or more if something unforeseen occurs. $600/month savings will go nowhere near the ability to cover this - especially if you contract a disease that requires specialists at another hospital that don't "trade chickens."

And youth doesn't help. We had a healthy teen relative who had complications of an illness where the costs ran to a million dollars. Thank goodness there was insurance. His family, who was financially secure, would have drained their retirement, lost their home and their lives would have been completely altered if there was no insurance. (The teen is better now.).

So if you are willing to protect your home, why would you put off saving your life? or are you expecting the taxpayers to bail you out after you go bankrupt?
Assume anything you want about me. equating home ins to health ins is loony. not at all the same.

Meanwhile, tell me which insurance plan will cover that pricey treatment and at what cost/month and at what point they quit paying. And then tell me why I should fear devastating illness for myself just because you live in fear?

Next, tell me which people that went bankrupt via med debt that are being bailed out by taxpayers? You assume a lot of motivations that I don't have. It's probably best to speak for yourself vs hurl accusations at people guilty of not thinking of things exactly like you do.

geekette

Reaction score
I have not been employed in over a year now and just like I always said when I did work- "I have no time to work".

Actually- just living life and dealing with day to day responsibilities is enough work for me. And obviously with just selling our home and moving I have been crazy busy above and beyond what I normally am.

If I ever get to the point where I have a a true "retired" type lifestyle, I might- and that is a BIG MIGHT- do a very part-time per diem type gig in the tourism industry where we are moving. Like a tour guide at a museum or something like that. MAYBE.

But I will have enough to do for a very long time with moving to a new home in a new area.
Mary Ann, your new chapter in life is very exciting! I agree, you have no time for a job! Agree, you already have "work" lined up.

geekette

Reaction score
How is 'medical sharing' different than traditional insurance. With insurance, the premiums collected from healthy subscribers pays the bills of those with claims. Isn't that 'sharing' the risk among a large pool?
Yeah, seems very similar, just smaller pool.

If my ship comes in, I could see going the Concierge route but I don't think that is in the cards for me.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Assume anything you want about me. equating home ins to health ins is loony. not at all the same.

Meanwhile, tell me which insurance plan will cover that pricey treatment and at what cost/month and at what point they quit paying. And then tell me why I should fear devastating illness for myself just because you live in fear?

Next, tell me which people that went bankrupt via med debt that are being bailed out by taxpayers? You assume a lot of motivations that I don't have. It's probably best to speak for yourself vs hurl accusations at people guilty of not thinking of things exactly like you do.

I never assumed anything about you. You projected the questions onto yourself.

It's true that many of those that went bankrupt ended up on public assistance. Sounds like you have an alternative plan to avoid this (Which was the basis of my question: How to avoid bankruptcy/public assistance/wiping out your retirement funds if something catastrophic happens?)

Kaiser covered the more than $1 million for that kid to get well. No hassles. No hidden fees. Honest organization.

Last edited: