• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

When do you go through customs

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
We are going to Tobago in January. We are flying from Miami to Trinidad on AA and then Trinidad to Tobago on Caribbean Airlines. I am trying to figure out how much time we need between flights going and returning. I know we will have to get our luggage in Trinidad and then get to the next airline, but I want to add in time for customs. How long should we give ourselves between flights? Thanks

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Trinidad & Tobago is one country, so immigration/customs is in Trinidad.
IDK how many here would have experience with Trinidad customs.
IME with other Caribbean islands, that could take about 30 minutes.
It may be less, but being cautious, I'd allow 90 minutes between flights.
-- 20 min. to collect luggage
-- 30 min. for immigration/customs
-- 20 min. to recheck luggage
-- 20 min. for boarding

BTW, don't bring anything with camouflage with you.
See: http://www.customs.gov.tt/news-and-advisories/customs-travel-tips

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Be very careful in Tinidad & Tobago. Crime, and crime against tourists, is a real problem there. I was watching a vlogger last night of someone from Trinidad & Tobago and commented on her video about the island. She commented back to read up on crime there before making any travel plans.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Be very careful in Tinidad & Tobago. Crime, and crime against tourists, is a real problem there. I was watching a vlogger last night of someone from Trinidad & Tobago and commented on her video about the island. She commented back to read up on crime there before making any travel plans.

I have been accused of sensationalizing the real crime rate in Mexico. And now a Tugger is warning about crime in Trinidad and Tobago. If we tell everyone to read up on crime before traveling, no one will go anywhere.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have been accused of sensationalizing the real crime rate in Mexico. And now a Tugger is warning about crime in Trinidad and Tobago. If we tell everyone to read up on crime before traveling, no one will go anywhere.
I think the main difference is that crime in T&T seems to be more targeted toward tourists. I agree, if we read about crime for any place we want to travel, we would stay holed up in our homes. However, my knowledge just isn't from a few news articles, this warning came from someone who actually lives there. When I did read, that is where I learned many violent crimes are targeted toward tourists. The murder rate there is 50% higher than that in Mexico.

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow, you are making me think twice however all the reviews for the resort are wonderful. It’s tough to make a decision. The only thing for us is that we are not night people. We are home by dark, which is when I think you have to be careful.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Here are some sources of information on travel to T&T. Keep in mind, these are WARNINGS, and not travel brochures. Therefore, the entire content is--by nature--negative. So, take it with a grain of salt. Consider reading about some other (similar) countries or islands that you may be considering as well, to get a general feeling for the tone of the articles.
In other words, don't let these scare you off.....read about similar locations and make a decision based on the info and the relative differences.

US Gov State Dept on T&T (rated at same level as Mexico....) https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...ries/trinidad-and-tobago-travel-advisory.html
US OSAC for T&T: https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=23202

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I decided we are going. We will do the tours with the resort, and we are always in by dinner time or shortly thereafter. When we are away, we usually don't eat lunch and have an early dinner, or eat a big lunch and have something simple in the room for dinner. I don't think we should have any trouble, since we will not be touring areas that are not safe, and will not be out late at night.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
In any foreign port just be careful do not flash large amount of cash, do not carry expensive cameras loosely on your arms, do not wear expensive jewelry, males do not carry your wallet in your back pocket, ladies please zip & secure those large purses; please be careful when riding public buses & trains in port. These are some suggestive tips and they also apply to any major U.S.A. Tourist Cities IMHP.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
In any foreign port just be careful do not flash large amount of cash, do not carry expensive cameras loosely on your arms, do not wear expensive jewelry, males do not carry your wallet in your back pocket, ladies please zip & secure those large purses; please be careful when riding public buses & trains in port. These are some suggestive tips and they also apply to any major U.S.A. Tourist Cities IMHP.
Wise advice for domestic ports too....