• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's Your Traditional New Years Day Menu?

Mimi39

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ours here in western Pennsylvania is sauerkraut with pork and smoked sausage or kielbassi. I cook mine in a crock pot for eight hours.

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have black eyed peas, fried chicken, mac and cheese, collard greens, cornbread, and home made pound cake.

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
FOOD

We love Turkey so much that I bought an extra one the day after Thanksgiving and froze it. Will be making turkey, green beans, mashed potatoes and of course gravy, Since we will be off for 4 days, I will only have to cook a couple of times.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tradition

The only superstition I have....

Pork and Sauerkraut for good luck the year through.

Wayne

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
I grew up with pork and sauerkraut, which my mom always claimed was a Pennslyvania Dutch tradition. (even though we were in Ohio.) Now we don't have a set tradition. This year it will be hamburgers on the grill - DH and DS's favorite.

stonebroke

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another Pork and Saurkraut

Greeting from the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch country. I grew up with ham as the main course and my mother hated sauerkraut but my wife is from PA and it's definitely Pork and Sauerkraut (with Mashed potatoes) at our house.

:cheer: Go Penn State! :cheer:

Mimi39

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greeting from the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch country. I grew up with ham as the main course and my mother hated sauerkraut but my wife is from PA and it's definitely Pork and Sauerkraut (with Mashed potatoes) at our house.

:cheer: Go Penn State! :cheer:

And Pitt in the Sun Bowl today :cheer:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Disney

It's going to be Planet Hollywood for us at Downtown Disney today!

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
The meal today is basically whatever is left over from Christmas.

We do a big Antipasto layout on Christmas Day, and I think just on leftovers we have:

4 different kinds of olives
5 different kinds of cold items (e.g. roasted peppers)
6 different kinds of cheese
6 different kinds of meats (all pork! Perfect for this jew- my wifes family is itailian).
After we finished on XMAS I put everything in those food saver vacuum bags, so I hope it is still fresh. we also bough a new fresh mozzarella as everyone loves it and it all went on christmas day.

We will just lay this out for everyone to help themselves when they come over today.

For the main course, we have a full pasta course from XMAS eve that my MIL made, but we begged off, as we were too full from all the seafood. I think MIl is bringing trays of Manicotti, Stuffed Shells and Eggplant Parm, which I don't think were ever cooked. I think she also made a meat sauce with sausages yesterday to add to the course.

Probably the best use of leftovers in a long time.

Joe

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Help! I need one for the Diet we put ourselves on starting today. Any ideas? Edamane beans is a start for the football game nibbles.

kapear

TUG Member
Reaction score
You could make a turkey/vegetable chili to eat during the football game. I usually brown ground turkey and throw it in with black beans, celery, green peppers, yellow squash, zukes, canned tomatoes, chili seasoning and some chopped onions. Simmer it for awhile.

Gracey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Longboat Bay Club, Disney s Old Key West, Wyndham
Our traditional New Years dinner is BBQ baby back ribs, homemade frenchfries, coleslaw and a dessert. This year for dessert I made a fresh batch of christmas cookies.

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
kapear: Sounds yummy, thank you :)

JoAnn

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
DH & I usually cook what ever we feel like..or not. Just awhile ago he asked if I wanted stir fry pheasant (we have 45 of them in the freezer) and I told him to ask our resident chef (middle DD). She had asked him the other day about pork, cabbage, collard greens (from our garden) and? So, at this point I don't know what it will be.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
My families always was Pork and Kraut. When I got married, hubby added black eyed peas also.

Nancy

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
black eye peas and pork of some kind-But I had to teach all the neighbors up here in PA that what you put on your black eye peas, chow chow, chili sauce, salsa etc., makes it good....

cgeidl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bouride for us

We make a really tasty saffron/Italian tomato broth/clam juice broth and add fresh fish-This year was scallops,wild Alaskan salmon, shrimp and King crab all shelled so not messy to eat.Getting hungry just writing this but we are lucky as we have left over broth for two more meals.Just add fresh fish each time. It is a hassle to make for two so I made for broth for eight and we have three or four times.First time we used salmon and we both like just as well as cod or seabass we used before.
Sometimes add lobster but not in the frugal year of 2009.
This is yummy,low cal and healthy. A very rare occurrence.

TerriJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's very interesting to hear about the different traditions. I cooked and we had turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, corn, fresh salad and sliced vegetables, and rolls. My mil brought cookies for dessert with coffee.

Happy New Year's to all!