• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's your Starwood Elite Status?

What is your Starwood Elite Status?

• I am 5 Star Elite

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • I am 4 Star Elite and working towards 5 Star.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I am 3 Star Elite and working towards 5 Star.

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • I'm not an Elite member, but I'm working on it.

Votes: 23 11.1%
  • I never planned to become an Elite member.

Votes: 43 20.7%
  • I wanted to become an Elite member at one time, but I don't any more.

Votes: 20 9.6%
  • I am 4 Star Elite, but not working towards 5 Star.

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • I am 3 Star Elite, but not working towards 5 Star.

Votes: 43 20.7%
  • I don't even know what an Elite member is!

Votes: 17 8.2%
  • I am 4 Star Elite for now, maybe, but depends.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I am 3 Star Elite for now, maybe, but depends.

Votes: 11 5.3%

• Total voters

Courts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, late check out at the timeshares is not subject to availablity as a 5*. We will use it tomorrow and did get it at the Sheraton (2pm) with no hassle.
Early check-in has been inconsistent. They know the room is suppose to be ready but sometimes it just isn't.
Maybe only when you want to check out at noon????:shrug:
Priority Late Villa Check-Out (Noon)

Relax and take your time, because Starwood Vacation Network(SM) Elite Five-star Members may request a late check-out (noon check-out is based on availability). To take advantage of this privilege, please call the Front Desk prior to your check-out so that they may accommodate your request.
https://www.mystarcentral.com/elite/benefit_17.html

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
No Denise - just a lowly one Starwood owner at Kierland. Others are a Marriott (big mistake - first purchase- trade for points or new location) and the Manhattan Club (not perfect but we love the location and the comfort of a suite in NYC).

I don't know what impresses me more - that people spend the $$$ to get to 5* or that they actually have enough time to take advantage of all of those weeks off from work! To me, the biggest perk of 5* is SPG Platinum for life, but with 4 weeks in timeshares (8 if locked off), just how many nights can most people find to stay in hotels??? It seems like a pretty small subset of successful retirees are the main ones who can truly benefit.

QUESTION FOR 5*s-----
If you own a lockoff in a great location and you wish to lock it off and spend two weeks there, what are the chances that if you spent the first week in the larger half, they would let you stay in that unit for week two instead of moving to the smaller unit?

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
This may be a place for a thread on how you use all of your weeks, But I will give some perspective on how we do it. First, I have been with the same company a long time, and I get 7 weeks of vacation, two weeks are company shut downs (though we rarely go away during Christmas).

That said, we have roughly six weeks (not using lock-offs) every year. We have used three for family vacations. Being in southern CA we have easy access to palm springs for week ends (my wife also goes to the Indian Wells tennis tournament every year for a week). This year we will go back to back weeks in Maui (hopefully no room changes).

Next year we are going to Kierland for a week, Mission Hills, and Maui, giving a small one bedroom to a friend for a wedding gift. We have banked our DVC to 2010. We are looking to minimize air travel next year. We will also probably take another week in the desert.

Your lock-off question is a good one and I do not have experience with that issue (yet).

Lastly the Platinum issue, I travel for business and it comes in very useful for that, we also have found that we try and extend our weeks with a couple of days at a local Sheraton or Westin. So there is my life-I am constantly teased by the family on my vacation planning.

Maui_ed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV, WKORV, WDW
Denise, when I first voted I was a 3-star on my way to 5-star. I am now a 4-star and have no intention of trying for 5-star any more. 4-star gives me everything I think I want or need - except maybe for the welcome letter from the GM - it's gonna be tough getting by without that. :D

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise, when I first voted I was a 3-star on my way to 5-star. I am now a 4-star and have no intention of trying for 5-star any more. 4-star gives me everything I think I want or need - except maybe for the welcome letter from the GM - it's gonna be tough getting by without that. :D

Well, 5* is SUPPOSED to give you a suite upgrade but that is not promised anymore. But if one is available, they are supposed to give it to you. Many people on FlyerTalk report great upgrades with 5*. I have not heard of too many upgrades if you are less than 5* though. I just want to make sure that this difference is voiced between 4* and 5* because it is a much greater benefit than just a letter from the GM. As a matter of fact, this is about the ONLY worthy benefit of any elite status in my opinion.

Katherine

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or, you could keep $100K in the bank and use the interest to pay for upgrades! :D

Does Starwood allow you to use points to upgrade to suites? I use points all the time with Hyatt:

Regency/Grand Club® Upgrade for up to 4 nights 3,000
Suite Upgrade for up to 4 nights 6,000

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Warning, advertisement to follow:

Or you can just look up SDKath's Guide to 5* Platinum and get there for under $50,000. ;)

Love,

SDKath

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Does Starwood allow you to use points to upgrade to suites?

Yes, it's usually double to get a suite on points. Often, you can use extra points to get a better room (club access, view, etc.). When the option is available, I will use extra points to get club access, as for us it's worth it to get the breakfast/happy hour goodies. At the hotels I've been to, it's 1,000 points extra for club access.

Glorian

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Warning, advertisement to follow:

Or you can just look up SDKath's Guide to 5* Platinum and get there for under $50,000. ;)

Love,

SDKath

Even with the new rules? That would be cool.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's usually double to get a suite on points. Often, you can use extra points to get a better room (club access, view, etc.). When the option is available, I will use extra points to get club access, as for us it's worth it to get the breakfast/happy hour goodies. At the hotels I've been to, it's 1,000 points extra for club access.

Glorian

Thanks Glorian. Can you clarify - do you use "all" points to get the suite, or can you pay cash for a regular room and then use points to upgrade?

Maui_ed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV, WKORV, WDW
Well, 5* is SUPPOSED to give you a suite upgrade but that is not promised anymore. But if one is available, they are supposed to give it to you. Many people on FlyerTalk report great upgrades with 5*. I have not heard of too many upgrades if you are less than 5* though. I just want to make sure that this difference is voiced between 4* and 5* because it is a much greater benefit than just a letter from the GM. As a matter of fact, this is about the ONLY worthy benefit of any elite status in my opinion.

Katherine
Katherine, are these suite upgrades within the hotel program? When I looked at the chart comparing the rewards for the different Elite levels, the chart indicated automatic Platinum Preferred Guest Membership but nothing about suite upgrades specifically.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Katherine, are these suite upgrades within the hotel program? When I looked at the chart comparing the rewards for the different Elite levels, the chart indicated automatic Platinum Preferred Guest Membership but nothing about suite upgrades specifically.

Yes, suite upgrades are within the SPG program.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/account/member_benefits/platinum_preferred.html

However the "subject to availability" caveat has caused much angst among FTers. See their "Report your Platinum Upgrade Success" threads and nodge's thread here about his personal upgrade success as a platinum. Very generally speaking, upgrades in the U.S. are hit and miss. Upgrades abroad are more reliable, though there is one pretty funny thread about a gold member complaining about his lack of upgrade, which RUINED his honeymoon. ;)

Maui_ed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV, WKORV, WDW
Yes, suite upgrades are within the SPG program.

Got it. Thanks. Still learning the ins and outs of the timeshares vs. hotel programs within Starwood. So the 5 star Elite is worth more than a welcome letter. :)

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Thanks Glorian. Can you clarify - do you use "all" points to get the suite, or can you pay cash for a regular room and then use points to upgrade?

Well, I've only upgraded with rooms I've booked with points, so I don't have first-hand experience with paying cash and then upgrading with points. The T&C on spg.com state that you can use StarPoints to upgrade on an eligible rate but only within five days of arrival. However, when I've upgraded using points I've been able to do it much earlier than that. You do have to phone in to do this.

9.3 Advance Upgrade Awards.

Members may redeem Starpoints for advance upgrades for Specialty Rooms, Specialty Select Rooms, or Suites (“Advance Upgrade Awards”). Advance Upgrade Awards may be (a) used when paying an Eligible Rate only, confirmed within five days of arrival only, and (c) subject to blackout dates and availability restrictions. A Specialty Room is defined as a Club Room, Westin Guest Office, Corporate Club Room, Smart Room or a room on a floor designated as Tower or Executive Club, which may include Club Lounge Services or Concierge Services. A Specialty Select Room is either a room on a Towers floor, a mini-suite, or an executive suite. A Suite upgrade is to a room designated by the hotel as a suite. Specialty suites, such as the Presidential or honeymoon suite may be excluded. Not all Participating Properties offer Specialty Rooms, Specialty Select Rooms or Suites. In some resort locations where these room types are not available, upgraded rooms are based on preferred view, such as pool or ocean view, or room styles offered.

Advance Upgrade Awards are based on a designated point value per night. The number of Starpoints required to redeem Advance Room Upgrades vary by the category in which a specific Participating Property is classified.

Chart showing upgrade point "costs":

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/account/starpoints/redeem/upgrades.html

Glorian

Last edited:

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Glorian -- I hadn't come across that info on spg.com yet. Doesn't look as straight forward, or as "cheap," as Hyatt's upgrade -- but it's good to know the option exists.

thomasro3

Reaction score
Does anyone know how many 5* Elite's there are?

I was told by the salesman 5 years ago that there would only be about 2000 total because of the Platinum SPG Card. Then they would continue with Elite Status but that SPG Platinum would no longer be an offering for 5Star Elite.

Does anyone have a count on this? Just currious?