• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's it like at the Hilton Hawaiian Village now?

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
We are using:

Their website says, "When you arrive for your test, let the front desk team know you are traveling to Hawaii so the appropriate paper work is provided to you upon departure of your visit."

When I spoke to them they said it would take about 15 minutes and I'd have our test results.

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since parking in Hilton is 49 usd/day. Do you suggest ditching the rental car? Would this be a problem since most restaurants near by are close. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you plan on seeing the other places in Oahu (North Shore, Sandy Beach, Chinamen Hat, etc) I would just walk around or catch an Uber. However...

One option (may be for a 2 day rental or something) is to use the boat dock parking lot. There was plenty of open parking when I was there in December 2020. It is $1 an hour or $24 dollar a day. However it is a hassle. You have to feed the meter daily, to continue the 24 hrs, and there is no in and out privileges . You can pay by app but not sure how that works since you also have to display a valid ticket on the front windshield.

Second option is if someone in your group has a Military ID card (Active, Retired, National Guard, Reserves) or a Federal Government Civilian ID Card. Hale Koa Hotel next door to HHV has long term parking. You have to buy a monthly pass but a monthly pass is only $105 (You don't need to be staying in the Hale Koa). It comes out to $15 a night for a 7 night stay and there is in and out privileges. General public can also park there, even if they are not staying in Hale Koa, with a cost of $185 for a one month pass or about $27 a night for a 7 night stay.

liongate88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC (AUL), WKV, SVV, HGVC (BLVD, GW, Elara), HRC , WM
Unless you plan on seeing the other places in Oahu (North Shore, Sandy Beach, Chinamen Hat, etc) I would just walk around or catch an Uber. However...

One option (may be for a 2 day rental or something) is to use the boat dock parking lot. There was plenty of open parking when I was there in December 2020. It is $1 an hour or $24 dollar a day. However it is a hassle. You have to feed the meter daily, to continue the 24 hrs, and there is no in and out privileges . You can pay by app but not sure how that works since you also have to display a valid ticket on the front windshield.

Second option is if someone in your group has a Military ID card (Active, Retired, National Guard, Reserves) or a Federal Government Civilian ID Card. Hale Koa Hotel next door to HHV has long term parking. You have to buy a monthly pass but a monthly pass is only $105 (You don't need to be staying in the Hale Koa). It comes out to $15 a night for a 7 night stay and there is in and out privileges. General public can also park there, even if they are not staying in Hale Koa, with a cost of $185 for a one month pass or about $27 a night for a 7 night stay.

Great info ! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
You don't need in and out privileges if it's just $1/hr, around the clock. And if you're going to spend 6 hours driving around, now it's just $18.

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't need in and out privileges if it's just $1/hr, around the clock. And if you're going to spend 6 hours driving around, now it's just $18.

That's not how the payments works. You have to tell the machine how many hours your parking, parking lot stall, license plate and pay for that many hours. So, lets say you pay for 24 hrs, $24 dollars, and 8 hours later you decide to drive somewhere to eat. You lose the rest of the 16 hrs and you have to pay again when you re-park. Not impossible to save money on parking but it will become a hassle if planning is not your strong suit. e.g. Unplanned road trips.

Caveat: I don't know how the owner of the marina parking enforces the date/time since it is unattended. In theory, you can pay for 24hrs in lot 1234, leave 8 hrs later for 2 hours, and then come back to park in lot 1234 for the remaining 14 hrs. Assuming lot 1234 hasn't been taken. Unless somehow they now you left and your car gets towed for trying this trick. That is to include giving the receipt to another car so they can use the remaining time.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
That's not how the payments works. You have to tell the machine how many hours your parking, parking lot stall, license plate and pay for that many hours. So, lets say you pay for 24 hrs, $24 dollars, and 8 hours later you decide to drive somewhere to eat. You lose the rest of the 16 hrs and you have to pay again when you re-park. Not impossible to save money on parking but it will become a hassle if planning is not your strong suit. e.g. Unplanned road trips.

Caveat: I don't know how the owner of the marina parking enforces the date/time since it is unattended. In theory, you can pay for 24hrs in lot 1234, leave 8 hrs later for 2 hours, and then come back to park in lot 1234 for the remaining 14 hrs. Assuming lot 1234 hasn't been taken. Unless somehow they now you left and your car gets towed for trying this trick. That is to include giving the receipt to another car so they can use the remaining time.

We stay in Honolulu for months at a time but we don't know how car rental and parking works in Honolulu since we usually only rent a car for a day at a time. We pick it up in the early morning around 8 AM and leave for an around the island trip where parking is usually free. We come back late(10 PM) so that the rental car place is closed so we park it in the Marina lot over night for say 10 hours and return it the next day at 8 AM so the parking costgs $10 a night. We usually either walk or take the BUS around to other activities and don't need a car since Honolulu is so walkable and the BUS is inexpensive and convienient for seniors $1/trip. We are not going right now due to the coronavirus and if we did go we don't know if we would ride the BUS since it is a closed space with lots of people. Hopefully by Fall 2021 the situation will be more comfortable if not perhaps winter 2022?

JackieC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I plan to use The Bus but will be vaccinated by the time of my trip. One shot completed last week and one to go.

I take the bus to downtown Honolulu all the time. If I am going a long distance I rent a car for the day. With Hertz there is a drop off place in Waikiki until 8 pm. So I pick up the car at the Ilikai and return it to downtown Waikiki by 8 and walk back or take the bus back to the Lagoon.

More information about the bus senior fares and the new HOLO card:

SENIOR FARE & PASSES
All Bus Pass Sales are FINAL.
“Senior” is a person 65 years of age or older.

One-Way Fare: $1.00
With valid TheBus Senior Card or valid U.S. Medicare Card
1-Day Pass $2.00
Unlimited rides valid from 12:00 a.m. - 2:59 a.m. the following day
Ask your bus operator for the 1-Day Pass before placing your money in the farebox.
All new and renewing Senior Cards will be issued HOLO cards. Please bring your Government Issued Photo ID.

Monthly Pass Fare: $6.00
  • Requires a valid Senior Card
  • Unlimited rides for the month purchased
Senior Monthly Pass Sales Locations:
TheBus Pass Office - Kalihi Transit Center – Personal checks not accepted
Satellite City Hall *
Select Retail Locations *
*Cash only. Locations vary, please call before visiting.
Active HOLO Senior Card required.

Senior Annual Pass: $35.00
  • Unlimited rides for a 12-month period
Senior Annual Pass Sales Locations
TheBus Pass Office - Kalihi Transit Center – Personal checks not accepted
Satellite City Hall *​

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
If you rent a car from National at HHV for a day, you can return the car at any time that night. No in and out without paying the parking fee though; you only get one free ticket to enter the garage.

Andythefox

TUG Member
Reaction score
In regard to the rental car, they will probably split your rental in to 7 individual days if you ask nicely. You keep the same car and just grab the key every morning. This way you can avoid the overnight parking charge. We have done this a couple of times, although for no more than 3 days at a time.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I was at HHV for 10 days a couple weeks ago. There was FREE parking available at the harbor near the lagoon. I was able to easily find a parking place each day in the afternoon. There were no signs indicating a fee or permit to park there, and there was no place to pay for parking. The signs said you could not park there for more than 24 hours.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
From the Walgreens FAQ on COVID testing -

I’m traveling to Hawaii from the lower 48 states. What do I need to do?

The state of Hawaii requires visitors to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival or provide proof of a negative Covid-19 test, taken within 72 hours of departure. You must schedule an appointment with Walgreens to ensure your documentation is accepted by the state. The Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW) and Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR) provided by Walgreens are nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT). Both types are approved by the state of Hawaii, however the turnaround results time may vary. The Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW) is not an approved test for travel to Hawaii.
Thanks for the information on Walgreen Covid testing.

jimf01

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo Las Vegas
In regard to the rental car, they will probably split your rental in to 7 individual days if you ask nicely. You keep the same car and just grab the key every morning. This way you can avoid the overnight parking charge. We have done this a couple of times, although for no more than 3 days at a time.
that's a good tip! Thanks

jimf01

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo Las Vegas
I was at HHV for 10 days a couple weeks ago. There was FREE parking available at the harbor near the lagoon. I was able to easily find a parking place each day in the afternoon. There were no signs indicating a fee or permit to park there, and there was no place to pay for parking. The signs said you could not park there for more than 24 hours.
Wow, I have seen it posted numerous times that the free parking along the lagoon was daytime only, and parking overnight would get you towed

liongate88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC (AUL), WKV, SVV, HGVC (BLVD, GW, Elara), HRC , WM
At HHV now. Parking at Hilton is for 50 usd/night inc taxes (use to be 62 exc tax). Parking at Marina use to be metered 1 usd/hr, now gone. There is no meter to pay for parking. There is a sign max parking is 24 hours and lots of vacant spots. The side street parking around the area is still free with 6 hours max and no parking between 1030 PM to 6 AM. Only super pool, tapa and kalia tower pool (adults only) are open. Paradise pool is close, they say it will open mid March. No fireworks, Luau show at the great lawn suppose to start March 5 but no show today. Most restaurants are still close. The nice thing got upgraded to 2 bedroom ocean view, probably due to low season.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
At HHV now. Parking at Hilton is for 50 usd/night inc taxes (use to be 62 exc tax). Parking at Marina use to be metered 1 usd/hr, now gone. There is no meter to pay for parking. There is a sign max parking is 24 hours and lots of vacant spots. The side street parking around the area is still free with 6 hours max and no parking between 1030 PM to 6 AM. Only super pool, tapa and kalia tower pool (adults only) are open. Paradise pool is close, they say it will open mid March. No fireworks, Luau show at the great lawn suppose to start March 5 but no show today. Most restaurants are still close. The nice thing got upgraded to 2 bedroom ocean view, probably due to low season.
Luau was moved indoor due to weather according to HawaiiNow, sold out with 150 people. We are heading over Mar 27 for a week, perhaps for the last time as we should close escrow on a condo a block away this week. Hoping to see the fireworks start up again soon, and at least one or two of the poolside bars opening. I noted that our AA flight over is essentially full, suggesting to me that Oahu may be fairly busy in the week or two before Easter.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sound likes this resort is ready for some fun and sun.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Luau was moved indoor due to weather according to HawaiiNow, sold out with 150 people. We are heading over Mar 27 for a week, perhaps for the last time as we should close escrow on a condo a block away this week. Hoping to see the fireworks start up again soon, and at least one or two of the poolside bars opening. I noted that our AA flight over is essentially full, suggesting to me that Oahu may be fairly busy in the week or two before Easter.
Wow, congratulations on the condo! :) Did you also buy at Wailana?
Two years ago, you were asking Tamaradarann about their recent condo purchase.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Wow, congratulations on the condo! :) Did you also buy at Wailana?
Two years ago, you were asking Tamaradarann about their recent condo purchase.

Good memory. ;) No, we bought right next door, Canterbury Place. The unit at Wailana was a leasehold. After doing a little math we realized that at today's interest rates, fee simple is the same monthly cost but instead of ~$1500/mo going to a lease you have ~$1500/mo going to principal. And down the road, instead of having to walk away because the lease is up, you own it. The first instinct was that the leasehold would be less expensive. But, other than the down payment, it's not.

So, we found (went from very unlucky, we made an offer literally hours after they accepted a lower offer, to very lucky, the offer fell through and we were in backup position) a 35th floor unit that actually looks right over the top of Wailana with a view from Koko Head to the Harbor. Waiting for loan docs to arrive any minute.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Good memory. ;) No, we bought right next door, Canterbury Place. The unit at Wailana was a leasehold. After doing a little math we realized that at today's interest rates, fee simple is the same monthly cost but instead of ~$1500/mo going to a lease you have ~$1500/mo going to principal. And down the road, instead of having to walk away because the lease is up, you own it. The first instinct was that the leasehold would be less expensive. But, other than the down payment, it's not.

So, we found (went from very unlucky, we made an offer literally hours after they accepted a lower offer, to very lucky, the offer fell through and we were in backup position) a 35th floor unit that actually looks right over the top of Wailana with a view from Koko Head to the Harbor. Waiting for loan docs to arrive any minute.
Nice! A great location and wonderful view on the beautiful island of Oahu.
Thanks for sharing. I wish you all the best. :)

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
April update. Tropics, Tapas, and poolside bars still closed. They need to open them up as most of the rest of Waikiki has. No parrots. No hot tubs. Large Lagoon pool slide closed. Waikiki is insanely crowded, in dozens of trips we have never seen anything like it. Leonard's malasadas wait was around two corners.

But it's still Hawaii!

Question for group, we used our owners week OV and got room 1860 which is the corner room. Seems nice. Maybe a bit bigger than the non corner OV? Has two balconies, downside is the 2 BR are right next to each other so if you are sharing say with another family it has less privacy than the other setup (where the rooms are on opposite sides of the unit). Is the corner considered more or less desirable?

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
One more question, I think the furniture or something else has been updated in the room since we were here 2-3 years ago. I found online they said there would be remodeling in the fall and winter of 2020. Can anyone confirm they updated Lagoon?

JackieC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Furniture was still the same in the Lagoon in our 2 bedroom ocean front. We stayed March 8th until the 24th. I wish they would replace the tub in the master bedroom with a stand alone shower. I put that in my review. I find the furniture is very uncomfortable in the living room. I took the chair out of the bedroom and used it.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Furniture was still the same in the Lagoon in our 2 bedroom ocean front. We stayed March 8th until the 24th. I wish they would replace the tub in the master bedroom with a stand alone shower. I put that in my review. I find the furniture is very uncomfortable in the living room. I took the chair out of the bedroom and used it.
We were there last week. Oceanfront room 2266. Same furniture as when we stayed in that room in 2019. Lots of room, but yes, not particularly comfortable living room furniture.

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
Parking at Marina use to be metered 1 usd/hr, now gone. There is no meter to pay for parking. There is a sign max parking is 24 hours and lots of vacant spots

Can I get an update on parking situation at the Marina? Still free, or paid again?