• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's considered a Good Deal on Points in the Various Timeshare Groups?

tallguy55

Reaction score
I'm sorry for the newbie question here which has probably been answered many times, but I I have been trying to find this information for weeks and I just can't.

I don't know how to evaluate how many points I should aim for if I want to buy into a points based system.

If I want to spend a week in a nice 1 or 2 bedroom resort in Maui, Hawaii once a year (oceanfront or view). How many points should I shoot for on the various platforms??

How many points for RCI, Interval, Hilton, Wyndom, Marriot, etc??

Can anyone help?

Thank you!

P.S. What is the lowest maintenance fee resort in Maui that you'd recommend?

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I'll take a shot at a few of these. Others can chime in on RCI/II and Wyndham. I'll also add Vistana since that is a popular resort. Hyatt is also popular as it is one of the newest - but it is still very expensive and difficult to get via their internal points system.

For Hilton: 0 points - there is no current resort on Maui. The one under development won't be OF either. You can get into Oahu or BI, but not Maui. You could trade in via RCI to another resort on Maui possibly.

For Marriott: 1 BR will run probably around 5700 points for OF and MOC in the newer towers and 8700 points for a 2BR OF during reasonably popular weeks. Note that it is MUCH more cost effective to buy a resale week rather than use points (downside is less flexibility). See MVC 2020 Points Chart

Vistana: 1 BR OF will run you 95,700 StarOptions (points) and 176,700 for a 2BR OF. Note that OF bookings via StarOptions are tough. You can get an Oceanview 2BR for 148,100 but there is no guarantee on a view. The best way to guarantee a view would be to buy OF at one of the two mandatory resorts (WKORV or WKORV-N).