• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What You Should Know Before Booking a Cruise Ship Balcony Room

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
What You Should Know Before Booking a Cruise Ship Balcony Room
By Nicole Dossantos/ Cruises/ Fox News Travel/ foxnews.com

"Balcony rooms give you the opportunity to escape the crowded decks and unwind on your own private terrance.

This all sounds great, but the truth is that these rooms can be much pricier than a typical suite so you may want to consider whether it's really worth it. If you’re embarking on a week-long cruise, you may want to spend the extra money since you'll have more time at sea...."

1480561766033.jpg

Review these tips before booking a cruise ship balcony room. (iStock)

Richard

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We went on a cruise a few years ago. We didn't get a balcony. My sister and Mum had a balcony, they complained about the Salt chunks that accumulated on the balcony from the ocean water. We spend so little time in our cabin, I just need a window to look out.
Silentg

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The best place to read information on cruising can be found at the web site called cruise critic .
This web site will cover all the cruise lines and all kinds of information about cruising and it is free. Inside cabins and ocean views cabins are cheaper than balcony and suite cabins on cruise ships.
We have been cruising for over 15 years and we have never had salt chunks on our balcony. Soot yes.
Rough seas yes.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a big problem with author article. I have never seen or heard of a 12 to 15 inches deep balcony on today' cruise ship . I wish the author would have named this cruise ship and cruise line.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We've done Inside, Ocean View and Balcony, and found that, unless the scenery is special, an Inside cabin makes sense to us -- but higher than the 1st & 2nd cabin-levels. For Alaska (cruise this Summer), I'm told that one should have a balcony on the starboard (right) side if Northbound and port (left) if Southbound -- facing the mainland.

The NOAA website relates this origin for the terms starboard & port --
"In the early days of boating, before ships had rudders on their centerlines, boats were controlled using a steering oar. Most sailors were right handed, so the steering oar was placed over or through the right side of the stern. Sailors began calling the right side the steering side, which soon became "starboard" by combining two Old English words: stéor (meaning "steer") and bord (meaning "the side of a boat").

"As the size of boats grew, so did the steering oar, making it much easier to tie a boat up to a dock on the side opposite the oar. This side became known as larboard, or "the loading side." Over time, larboard—too easily confused with starboard—was replaced with port. After all, this was the side that faced the port, allowing supplies to be ported aboard by porters."

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Talent312 what is the smallest balcony on a cruise ship, you have every seen?

LurkerBee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coconut Plantation
I have a big problem with author article. I have never seen or heard of a 12 to 15 inches deep balcony on today' cruise ship . I wish the author would have named this cruise ship and cruise line.
Some cruise ships have Juliette balconies. For examples, if you scroll about halfway down this page, you will see the Eurodam's (Holland America) julliette balconies. Some MSC ships also have some. Only about 6 or 10 per ship, but they do exist.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, considering the source of the article, it was as expected. There is a difference between the balconies/verandas of ocean cruisers and river cruise ships. The river cruise variety have the French variety that (generally) are too narrow for even a chair, while ocean cruisers (generally) have room for chairs/loungers and a table.
We have opted for the balcony on all the cruises we've taken for the better part of the last 20 years. Some cruises, the balconies get more use than others. As the article says, check the itinerary. You won't use the balcony much on a December Trans-Atlantic cruise. OTOH, for a Panama Canal or New Zealand or mid-season Alaska cruise, being able to have your own private space outdoors can be darn pleasant. Also if your cruise is port intensive, being able to have your breakfast on the balcony and watch the goings-on in the ports is very interesting. I remember a day in Chile watching men unloading tuna fish from the day's catch. Of course some ports are pretty industrial, and not particularly scenic.
If you opt for a balcony cabin. REALLY pore over the ship's deck plans. You can fairly easily discern which cabins have restricted views, might be above on-deck smoking areas, or below a disco- important if you want to go to bed early.

Just like timeshares, those who immerse themselves in as much information as possible get more out of the experience. And for cruises, the go-to place for all knowledge 'cruise', is www.cruisecritic.com/ not Fox news.

Jim

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have cruised 7 times. We have booked inside, ocean view and veranda. We also upgraded to a veranda once at the port. Is the veranda great? Yes, of course it is but it is not absolutely a must for us. It all depends on how many people in our travel party (more people, less time in the cabin/veranda), are we treating our adult/married/kids? are we taking any other vacations that year, etc. etc.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Talent312, what is the smallest balcony on a cruise ship, you have every seen?

I'm not a balcony guru, but the balconies I've seen have been ~48" wide, enuff for 2 little chairs and a small table... and close enuff to your neighbors to sniff smoke as they puff away on their balconies.

This website shows cabin+balcony layouts by ship: http://www.cruisemapper.com/cabins
"Those on Princess and NCl ships [are] among the smallest compared to other big-ship lines.
In our cruise deck plans, we list room sizes and the size of the balcony."

For an article on the best balconies, see: http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2013-01-29/best-cruise-balconies-2013.

Coral Princess:
545e95b816aff87.gif

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I'm not a balcony guru, but the balconies I've seen have been ~48" wide, enuff for 2 little chairs and a small table... and close enuff to your neighbors to sniff smoke as they puff away on their balconies.

This website shows cabin+balcony layouts by ship: http://www.cruisemapper.com/cabins
"Those on Princess and NCl ships [are] among the smallest compared to other big-ship lines.
In our cruise deck plans, we list room sizes and the size of the balcony."

For an article on the best balconies, see: http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2013-01-29/best-cruise-balconies-2013.

Coral Princess:
545e95b816aff87.gif

Talent312,

Thanks for the additional info about balconies.

Best wishes for the New Year

Richard

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our favorites on Celebrity are mid-ship at each end of the 'bulge'. (Solstice class) They are nearly double size and wedge shaped. Plenty of room for a couple of lounges (Celebrity deck chairs open to lounge size) and a good size table. As a bonus, those cabins are just steps from the elevators and central atrium with access to the library, Apple store, and with live music much of the time. We had friends with a suite at the rear corner, and I swear the balcony was well over 1000 sq.ft.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your dimension; to the author what cruise line and not a river boat has a 12 to 15 inches depth balcony?

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To PamMo thanks for the posts/thread from CruiseCritic. What was MSC thinking.

"Knowledge is Power", PamMo did you read the whole thread on CruiseCritic? This is not a "balcony cabin." according to MSC Divina website.

This is an "Ocean View Cabin." size of the stateroom is 185 sq. ft.

This ship was built in 2012.

The size of the MSC Divina balcony cabins are 194 sq ft. The balcony size are 42 sq ft.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
To have or not to have a balcony is a personal choice. I've known many cruisers who only book an inside room, saving the $$ for shopping, shore excursions, meals in nice restaurants while in port et......Most of those cruisers spend little time in the cabin past sleeping and, since it's an inside cabin, they get nice and dark when it's time to sleep.

Personally I'd be fine with an inside cabin but, my wife is somewhat claustrophobic and the relatively small stateroom space is more than she can handle. We've cruised in outside cabins but, generally prefer the balcony cabins, even when the balcony is on the smallish side. the sliding door provides a better view out to the ocean than a porthole or window, we like being on a higher deck vs a lower deck and, I enjoy occasionally standing on the balcony and taking in the ocean air or watching the wake created as the ship sails on. As mentioned it can be fun viewing while in port as well. Especially entertaining is watching those getting back late to the ship as they scurry along trying to get back before the gangplank is raised. We've seen more than few people standing on the dock shouting at the ship as it pulls away and a few who have paid for the pilot boat to bring them out to the ship before it hits the open sea's. Trust me, you do NOT want to try to climb up the ladder on the side of the ship with your shopping bag while both the pilot boat and cruise ship are bouncing on the wave. Entertaining to watch, would be so fun as a participant.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
To PamMo thanks for the posts/thread from CruiseCritic. What was MSC thinking.

"Knowledge is Power", PamMo did you read the whole thread on CruiseCritic? This is not a "balcony cabin." according to MSC Divina website.

This is an "Ocean View Cabin." size of the stateroom is 185 sq. ft.

This ship was built in 2012.

The size of the MSC Divina balcony cabins are 194 sq ft. The balcony size are 42 sq ft.

Yeah, Pedro, I read the whole thread and noted the concern that some US bookings sold that configuration as a balcony cabin, while MSC lists it as ocean view in their brochure. It would be a nice surprise getting an ocean view cabin with a Juliette balcony (I like fesh air), but if I thought I was getting a usable balcony, I would be extremely disappointed!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Especially entertaining is watching those getting back late to the ship as they scurry along trying to get back before the gangplank is raised. We've seen more than few people standing on the dock shouting at the ship as it pulls away and a few who have paid for the pilot boat to bring them out to the ship before it hits the open sea's. Trust me, you do NOT want to try to climb up the ladder on the side of the ship with your shopping bag while both the pilot boat and cruise ship are bouncing on the wave. Entertaining to watch, would be so fun as a participant.

I've seen (and been among those) hustling to the gangway before a departure. We usually are in a restaurant for sail away, so I honestly have NEVER seen anyone on the dock yelling for the ship to return. As to the accented part above, are you sure? This is a safety issue and the transfer between moving vessels is highly regulated and requires training. It is not something entered into lightly. I can't imagine any entity, cruise line or maritime pilot that would assume the responsibility.

Jim

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Yep, we've seen it happen twice. Once was a lady with a LOT of shopping bags. It looked dangerous and scary. After one of these incidents I was speaking with our waiter about what we saw. He said it was at least $500 to have a pilot boat bring you out to the ship. When we were cruising I didn't have good camera's and never thought about taking pictures or recording what was going on. Sort of wish I had now. The most fun has been on ships with guests on balcony's yelling and cheering on the late guests as they run for the ship.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
...We've seen more than few people standing on the dock shouting at the ship as it pulls away and a few who have paid for the pilot boat to bring them out to the ship before it hits the open sea's.

I'd sooner find a way to meet the ship at it's next port of call.
Many cruise lines have local port agents to deal with this issue.
We take our passports with us in case of this or other emergency.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I cruised with a male friend (not BF) who insisted he could not stand an inside cabin .. he needed to SEE the sky & ocean. Paid for a "port hole" ... which was to me funny after we boarded. It did NOT open and was at water level ... about 12" or less in diameter. You sometimes could see the sky to determine if it was day or night. And if it the sea was rough... it was mostly underwater.

Another cruise was an interior cabin ... others in my group had the balcony cabins .. one of each side of the ship ... better to see the glaciers.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
others in my group had the balcony cabins .. one of each side of the ship ... better to see the glaciers.

That's what we're doing during our Alaska cruise this Summer. I had booked a balcony stateroom long ago for spouse and I. Last year we were in Virginia visiting my best friend from high school and his wife, who remain lifelong friends. We told them about our upcoming cruise, and they said they enjoyed taking cruises, too. Next thing we knew, they'd booked the same cruise as ours, and have a stateroom opposite ours. We will tag-team viewing the glaciers, plan on taking a few excursions together, and they'll be there to help celebrate our wedding anniversary. It's shaping up to be a great time! :banana:

Dave

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have only been on one cruise, but I knew I would feel very claustrophobic in an inside cabin. We booked a cabin with a small window, and I was fine with that. I doubt we would spend the extra money on a balcony cabin.

Dori

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have only been on one cruise, but I knew I would feel very claustrophobic in an inside cabin. We booked a cabin with a small window, and I was fine with that. I doubt we would spend the extra money on a balcony cabin.

Dori

Ocean view cabins are nice and you can save tons of dollars to spend on other things aboard ship.

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ocean view cabins are nice and you can save tons of dollars to spend on other things aboard ship.
On the other hand, it's so nice to be able to open the balcony door in the morning and get some ocean air coming in. Once you've tried out a balcony cabin, it's hard to do without, even though having to spend the extra money.