• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What You Should Know About Medicare Part B

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
thank you for the post. I have just asked if DH has to sign up for part B at age 65. It looks like he will automatically get it unless he opts out.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
thank you for the post. I have just asked if DH has to sign up for part B at age 65. It looks like he will automatically get it unless he opts out.
He does have to choose and sign up for a Supplement plan if he wants one, to cover the other 20%, since Part B covers 80%. He would be automatically accepted in the plan of his choosing if he signs up right at age 65. If he waits, then he would have to qualify and can be refused. At least, that's what I recall.

Also he has to choose and sign up for a Part D, an Rx plan.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
The good news is once you have Medicare Parts A and B, a Supplement and a Prescription Drug Plan things run smoothly. But understand that Medicare is no free lunch. There are premiums for Part B, your Supplement and your Prescription Drug Plan. Mine including the IRMMA high income penalty cost me about $5,000 annually. If cost is a major consideration and you are healthy, I'd consider a Medicare Advantage Plan which is less flexible but also way less expensive...

George

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
You can use Medicare.gov to help select a drug + supplement plan.
Input your medications and they show you drug companies + premiums.

Medicare's handbook compares standard supplement plans.
Your state insurance office may list the companies & their premiums
I asked my doc's insurance clerk which ones she preferred to work with.
That led me to select United HealthCare from AARP.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I know you can find out the answer to all of your questions on the Medicare site, but as I remember when dh turned 65 he automatically got Part A. He didn't sign up for Part B as he was still covered under my health insurance. When I retired he then had to sign up for Part B. I turned 65 after I had stopped working and I'm pretty sure that I did need to sign up for Part B, it wasn't automatic. We both have Supplemental plans as well.

The advice I was given from several people was, if you are going to get a Supplemental plan go with the company that charges you the least.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Thanks. He currently has his primary insurance through federal retiree BC/BS. When he becomes Medicare eligible, that coverage will revert to secondary, and they will refund him part of his part B premium.
I don't think he will need a part D, as I think the Federal policy will cover his drugs. But he will call to find out.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
2022 Medicare Premium are increasing by $10.00 per year.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
2022 Medicare Premium are increasing by $10.00 per year.

Medicare Part B is increasing by 21.60 per month. But, since we are suppose to receive a 5.9% COLA increase it is more than offset.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Medicare Part B is increasing by 21.60 per month. But, since we are suppose to receive a 5.9% COLA increase it is more than offset.

When I retired about 20 years ago my Social Security was about $1,500 per month. Today despite numerous COLA increases it is about the same. Increases in deductions from my Social Security for Medicare Parts B and D and IRMMA have eaten up all my Social Security COLA increases...

George

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando

The new Part B premium will be $170.10 a month for 2022, a jump of $21.60 and the most considerable increase ever. The 2021 Medicare Trustees report published in August had projected a much smaller increase of $10 from the current $148.50.

Aduhelm, the Alzheimer's medication causing the hike, is priced at $56,000 per year - but a nonprofit think tank pegged Aduhelm's actual value between $3,000 and $8,400 per year based on its unproven benefits, AP said.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the drug in an accelerated manner this June, bypassing an independent panel of outside experts, according to CNBC.