• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

    Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

    Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

    Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

    Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

    Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free!

    60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

    All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What Would You Do In This Situation?

irish

TUG Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
1,240
Reaction score
1
Points
398
Location
NEW YORK
i recently put 1 of my timeshares on redweek for rent. i received an inquiry as to the terms and emailed the contract to the interested party, 1/2 by first week in november, the other 1/2 by february 1,2012. renter said first week in november was NOT do-able because of other money commitments, could i wait till dec 1st... timeshare rental is for EASTER WEEK so i am hesitant in waiting that long and possible turning away any other interested prospects..
WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN THIS SITUATION?

TIA
 

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2011
Messages
6,313
Reaction score
1,121
Points
448
I would leave the ad up and rent to anyone who can pay per your terms. If it is still listed in December, the first person can rent it, since s/he will have the money at that point.
 

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
19,478
Reaction score
10,363
Points
1,198
Location
New Mexico
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I would tell the interested party that if they could not commit to 1/2 due by November I was going to leave the rental listing open. And if no one else expressed interest by the beginning of December, I would accept their deposit at that time.
 

Stefa

TUG Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
1,408
Reaction score
0
Points
396
Personally, I think you are being more than generous with the November date. I would not give a renter that long to come up with the initial payment.

I agree with the others and would not hold the reservation. I'm actually a pretty nice landlord, but I would be nervous about a situation where someone was planning a vacation and had no money available to pay for it.
 
Last edited:

DeniseM

Moderator
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
57,953
Reaction score
9,474
Points
1,849
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I agree with the others and would not hold the reservation. I'm actually a pretty nice landlord, but I would be nervous about a situation where someone was planning a vacation and had no money available to pay for it.

Exactly - Without a deposit, there is no deal. I would rent to the first person who can comply with your terms.
 

am1

TUG Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
8,127
Reaction score
1,544
Points
448
If they found a cheaper rental or change their mind on going they would not pay.
 

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
12,760
Reaction score
1,699
Points
498
Location
Northeast USA
Money talks, bs walks.

Send out the contract with YOUR date as YOU require. (I always ask for full payment and in writing suggest they get trip cancellation insurance).

If they choose to pay you as you ask, then they got a reservation. If they don't mail it back in per your paperwork and someone else RENTS it, send out a notice of FAILURE to PAY IN A TIMELY MANNER with a resecindation of YOUR OFFER TO RENT.

Another longtime TUGGER, has a written procedure of basicly stating, FIRST full payment to him, gets the deal. He even has tie-breakers;it is in writing.

Email makes it so easy to send out 15 pages of "procedures and policies" -- which I admit, I rarely do unless motivated.
 

Sandi Bo

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2011
Messages
5,383
Reaction score
5,236
Points
598
Location
Omaha
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Agree with all (you need the money before you can hold the rental).

Says the lady who is waiting for the return of the tarp she lent to someone on Saturday so they could cover up the free furniture being picked up (from craigslist ad)...
 

irish

TUG Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
1,240
Reaction score
1
Points
398
Location
NEW YORK
thanks to all who answered.. that's what i was thinking also so that's what i did.
 
Top