• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What type of credit does Hyatt offer?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We are considering renting a fixed week from an owner in 2021. If C19 interferes with our plans and we can't go, is a II deposit and exchange the only option? (I'm not looking for a refund from the owner.)

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It may be hard to figure out something that is fair.

Here's how it works:

4 months before the check in is the date at which the user can no longer deposit the points to Interval.

The owner can cancel and receive their points fully restored as long as they cancel more than 60 days out. However, they would then only have 60 days to book something else as their points will go into a limited state on the date of check in.

If the owner has to cancel within 60 days of the reservation, then they will go into a restricted state.

The owner may have to pay a cancellation fee of $51 (but lately Hyatt has waived for COVID).

The owner can book stuff in Interval while the points are in CUP (before the check in date), but won't be able to deposit to extend the points.

Technically, if they were to book you an alternate week (another Hyatt, just later or within Interval) rather than their home week, it would be in violation of club rules, but I don't think anyone would care given the circumstances.

Long story short, if you want them to book an alternate week in Hyatt or in Interval the earlier you cancel the better.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As far as what Hyatt is doing special for COVID?

Not a whole lot -- they are extending points that were restricted due to last minute cancellations caused by covid until 12/31/2021. I don't know if they are extending them anymore though and the owner would need to cancel with an operator to make sure they are manually marked as "due to covid".

Restricted points can only be used for travel within 60 days. A few operators were nice and deposited restricted points to II -- so that may be an option as well.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't think the owner has points - they own a fixed week that they bought resale.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All Hyatt owners have points. There are quite a few owners that have never used their points, but in the case of cancellation the information would be the same.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions that you have.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OK - Then the owner doesn't know what her points options are. She said she has never done anything with this week before, as far a moving it. It's a fixed week at Hyatt Sunset Harbor.

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
OK - Then the owner doesn't know she has points. She said she has never done anything with this week before, as far a moving it. It's a fixed week at Hyatt Sunset Harbor.

What week is it?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Feb. 7th

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points

With a Hyatt week, you either use it or you get points to spend. Therefore if you needed to cancel, your “currency” upon cancellation would be X number of points. Feb 7 at Sunset Harbor is a diamond week, worth 2200 points for a 2BR (if that’s what you’d be renting).

If you cancelled prior to 60 days ahead (Ie ~Dec 6, but you'd have to count backwards for the exact date) of the reservation, you’d have 2200 pts to spend in the Hyatt system. But those points would only be useful really until the date of the owner week ie Feb 7 (during this time they would be quite useful, you could book anything in the Hyatt system- well anything you have enough points for). Once you get past the date of the owned week, the points move into “Limited Club Use”. Limited club use points expire in 6 months (in this case around Aug 7, 2021) but they are only good for reservations made within 60 days of the reservations start date. So LCU points are very restricted in their use and you don’t want to go there if you can avoid it. Additionally, once the unit is converted to points, they’d be in the owners Hyatt Residence Club account. It doesn’t sound like this owner would have any understanding of how to search and book on the HRC site, not even knowing they have points associated with their unit (Which is one of the most basic facts of Hyatt ownership).

The deposit deadline for those points into II is 4 months ahead of the check in date Of the owner week. So in this case around Oct 6, 2021. If you cancel before then, the points can be deposited into II and they are good for 3 years. They are quite useful in II, units are “cheaper” so you could possible get 2 two BR exhanges out of the points (there is a separate II points chart which you’d refer to; be aware you CANNOT book Hyatt units via II and there is no “Hyatt preference” in II as most Marriott and Vistana owners assume there is). BUT all II owners have an corporate account, so the points would go into the owner’s account not yours. Obviously you could have them book for you. But if they didn’t even know they had points, they are kind of clueless about exchanging so this would probably be an awkward way to try to use the points.

So, bottom line: you’d have trouble using these points if you needed to cancel the week, unless you did so fairly early (before Oct 7 if your desire is to deposit in II, or before Dec 7 if you wanted to use them in HRC). And to book you’d have to work with someone who doesn’t really understand what they own, so that would be a problem too. Not a lot of great options.

Okraboy007

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluewater Resort and Marina Hilton Head Island SC
If you are renting a week from an owner, then the points accrue to the owner if you cancel and then they cancel with Hyatt. Or they can use it if you cancel. Deeded weeks and points are a separate topic. Points are the new paradigm in timeshare. I am not a fan of points but I own fixed weeks, fixed units, annual, that can be exchanged internally (BWA, Spinnaker). So I am not stuck with the weeks I own, or they will rent them for me, which they have done numerous times, for a fee.

If you are concerned about Covid19 in 2021, then buy travel insurance, and claim on that if you cancel last minute. Its not expensive. But in my opinion, COVID will have a therapy and vaccine by then and resorts will be open for usage. I was in South Carolina this July and it was NO PROBLEM. Safe, clean and we had a great time.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Travel Insurance is not covering C-19.

liongate88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC (AUL), WKV, SVV, HGVC (BLVD, GW, Elara), HRC , WM
With a Hyatt week, you either use it or you get points to spend. Therefore if you needed to cancel, your “currency” upon cancellation would be X number of points. Feb 7 at Sunset Harbor is a diamond week, worth 2200 points for a 2BR (if that’s what you’d be renting).

If you cancelled prior to 60 days ahead (Ie ~Dec 6, but you'd have to count backwards for the exact date) of the reservation, you’d have 2200 pts to spend in the Hyatt system. But those points would only be useful really until the date of the owner week ie Feb 7 (during this time they would be quite useful, you could book anything in the Hyatt system- well anything you have enough points for). Once you get past the date of the owned week, the points move into “Limited Club Use”. Limited club use points expire in 6 months (in this case around Aug 7, 2021) but they are only good for reservations made within 60 days of the reservations start date. So LCU points are very restricted in their use and you don’t want to go there if you can avoid it. Additionally, once the unit is converted to points, they’d be in the owners Hyatt Residence Club account. It doesn’t sound like this owner would have any understanding of how to search and book on the HRC site, not even knowing they have points associated with their unit (Which is one of the most basic facts of Hyatt ownership).

The deposit deadline for those points into II is 4 months ahead of the check in date Of the owner week. So in this case around Oct 6, 2021. If you cancel before then, the points can be deposited into II and they are good for 3 years. They are quite useful in II, units are “cheaper” so you could possible get 2 two BR exhanges out of the points (there is a separate II points chart which you’d refer to; be aware you CANNOT book Hyatt units via II and there is no “Hyatt preference” in II as most Marriott and Vistana owners assume there is). BUT all II owners have an corporate account, so the points would go into the owner’s account not yours. Obviously you could have them book for you. But if they didn’t even know they had points, they are kind of clueless about exchanging so this would probably be an awkward way to try to use the points.

So, bottom line: you’d have trouble using these points if you needed to cancel the week, unless you did so fairly early (before Oct 7 if your desire is to deposit in II, or before Dec 7 if you wanted to use them in HRC). And to book you’d have to work with someone who doesn’t really understand what they own, so that would be a problem too. Not a lot of great options.
Hi with HRC biennial use even years, say 16th week yr 2022, when is the earliest time you can deposit points in IL in order to be able to book in 2021? Do you need to wait 4 months prior to the deeded week to be able to deposit in IL and book? Would you be able to deposit say 1000 points to IL and keep the other half in HRC acct fo CUP use? Thanks in advance

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Hi with HRC biennial use even years, say 16th week yr 2022, when is the earliest time you can deposit points in IL in order to be able to book in 2021? Do you need to wait 4 months prior to the deeded week to be able to deposit in IL and book? Would you be able to deposit say 1000 points to IL and keep the other half in HRC acct fo CUP use? Thanks in advance

No you don’t need to wait. If you owned week 16 with EOY useage in 2022, you’d get access to those points week 16 of 2021. When that date comes around, you can start using your points in II, or you can reserve your owned week, or you can split your owned week or unit (if it’s a lockoff) and use the leftover points in II or HRC.

You don’t need to deposit points in II in advance of obtaining an exchange. So say week 16 2021 came along and there was nothing in II you wanted, then you don’t need to do anything. When you get the II unit, then II gets your HRC points.

If I were splitting my week or unit, I’d reserve what I for sure wanted to ensure that part was set in stone. Then keep the points in HRC until you know for sure you have something you want in II, or until you’re to your banking deadline, 4 months in advance of the owner week.

liongate88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the info. One past question, If a 2 bedroom unit is not a lock off and has 2000 points, can i use the 1000 points at any HRC resort during cup for 1 bedroom and use the other 1000 points for IL deposit? Or your unit has to be a lock off to di this. I rarely go the home resort and wants to use it to trade with other HRC and IL resorts. Thanks!

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Thanks for the info. One past question, If a 2 bedroom unit is not a lock off and has 2000 points, can i use the 1000 points at any HRC resort during cup for 1 bedroom and use the other 1000 points for IL deposit? Or your unit has to be a lock off to di this. I rarely go the home resort and wants to use it to trade with other HRC and IL resorts. Thanks!

No the only way the lock off comes into play is if you want to use say 1BR of the unit you own, and take the points for the studio side. You can only do that if your owned unit is a lock off. Otherwise, if you elect CUP, you can use some of the points in HRC and some in II.

liongate88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Open question about Hyatt. I know little about their TS offerings and if/how it meshes with their hotel offerings. I have an acquaintance who travels a LOT for business. He almost always stays in Hyatt hotels (when available). His employer pays for his stays. Question: If he were to acquire a Hyatt TS account (points or whatever) would his frequent and lengthy stays at their hotel properties give him credit for other TS use?

He hasn't asked, but I'll pass along anything pertinent. Thanks

Jim

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Open question about Hyatt. I know little about their TS offerings and if/how it meshes with their hotel offerings. I have an acquaintance who travels a LOT for business. He almost always stays in Hyatt hotels (when available). His employer pays for his stays. Question: If he were to acquire a Hyatt TS account (points or whatever) would his frequent and lengthy stays at their hotel properties give him credit for other TS use?

He hasn't asked, but I'll pass along anything pertinent. Thanks

Jim

He is, I’m sure, a World of Hyatt member, so he gets loyalty points for his hotel stays. He can use those points for the timeshare properties, if available. They cost a zillion WOH points though, so not necessarily a great value.

Hyatt Residence Club points are a totally different thing. They are the currency you use in the Hyatt internal timeshare trading system or in II. Every Hyatt unit is owned as a specific week in a specific unit, but it’s also assigned a point value if you decide not to use your owned week.

There’s nothing to be gained for your friend by buying a Hyatt timeshare. It doesn’t help you in World of Hyatt. If you buy direct from the developer, you can convert HRC points to WOH points, but that doesn’t gain your friend anything as he likely has plenty of WOH points at no cost to him. Plus it’s a poor value conversion to move HRC points to WOH, not to mention exponentially overpaying for the unit itself.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
He is, I’m sure, a World of Hyatt member, so he gets loyalty points for his hotel stays. He can use those points for the timeshare properties, if available. They cost a zillion WOH points though, so not necessarily a great value.

Hyatt Residence Club points are a totally different thing. They are the currency you use in the Hyatt internal timeshare trading system or in II. Every Hyatt unit is owned as a specific week in a specific unit, but it’s also assigned a point value if you decide not to use your owned week.

There’s nothing to be gained for your friend by buying a Hyatt timeshare. It doesn’t help you in World of Hyatt. If you buy direct from the developer, you can convert HRC points to WOH points, but that doesn’t gain your friend anything as he likely has plenty of WOH points at no cost to him. Plus it’s a poor value conversion to move HRC points to WOH, not to mention exponentially overpaying for the unit itself.
Thanks for your explanation. I just won't bring it up. I never thought he'd have any interest in TS. (Single, middle aged working stiff), but if there'd be anything to be gained, I'd suggest he look into it. No gain, No harm No foul.

Jim