• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to make of the Interval International Timeshare Options for Virginia Beach

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Landings
Curious if anyone has a good assessment on the best options to stay in Virginia Beach via II. I've checked all of the google review on all of the II options and honestly, none of them seem to have great consistent stellar reviews. Plus, some of the properties charge for parking and/or resort fees.

We are looking for the best 1 or 2 bedroom option that is likely to be clean and not have bad noise issues.

Of the choices so far, I was thinking Barclay Towers so far.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Curious if anyone has a good assessment on the best options to stay in Virginia Beach via II. I've checked all of the google review on all of the II options and honestly, none of them seem to have great consistent stellar reviews. Plus, some of the properties charge for parking and/or resort fees.

We are looking for the best 1 or 2 bedroom option that is likely to be clean and not have bad noise issues.

Of the choices so far, I was thinking Barclay Towers so far.
Are you looking for beach season or in the off season?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I assume you are looking at 2024.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Landings
2023, but I totally get that it would be a random pickup from someone cancelling (i.e. trading out within the 60 day period).

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel the last week in May starts the beach high demand season and the last week in August ends the beach high demand season. Only because most public schools system on the East coast starts their school sessions after the Labor Day holiday weekend. IMHO

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Landings
Totally agree. My question also applies for future years since we have historically gone to Virginia Beach once a year, albeit staying in hotels.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I've stayed an several different VB timeshares. Most Barclay owners exchange through rci but you do see some in II. How many are travelling with you? For 2 people it is fine. For 2 people and one child (not an adult size child but someone under 15 also probably adequate. If you have 2 children, you really want them to be small as in under 10. More than 2 adults really would be tight. All the units are ocean front which is a plus. The 1st floor is on the boardwalk which isn't ideal. You generally get the fixed unit that was deposited so requesting a high unit doesn't help. You get what you get. The configuration is a little weird as you walk into the bedroom. Then there is a hall with a bathroom off it. Then the open space kitchen/ living room with a dining room table in it and then the balcony. It isn't fancy but I like it. It does have a full kitchen but small.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Landings
I've stayed an several different VB timeshares. Most Barclay owners exchange through rci but you do see some in II. How many are travelling with you? For 2 people it is fine. For 2 people and one child (not an adult size child but someone under 15 also probably adequate. If you have 2 children, you really want them to be small as in under 10. More than 2 adults really would be tight. All the units are ocean front which is a plus. The 1st floor is on the boardwalk which isn't ideal. You generally get the fixed unit that was deposited so requesting a high unit doesn't help. You get what you get. The configuration is a little weird as you walk into the bedroom. Then there is a hall with a bathroom off it. Then the open space kitchen/ living room with a dining room table in it and then the balcony. It isn't fancy but I like it. It does have a full kitchen but small.

Just me and the wife.

What other ones have you stayed at? Would love to get feedback on those as well.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Summer weeks in VB are easier through rci so I usually go through them. I had a 2 BR penthouse at 4 sails last year but I couldn't make it so I sent my best friend and her family. They liked it very much.

I have mainly avoided the hilton/diamond former gold key resorts after they became Diamond. But I have stayed in Ocean club and Beach Quarters. Beach quarters is all ocean front but the kitchens are only partial. In the past they didn't charge resort fees but that might have changed. Ocean club exchangers are likely to get the city view units without balconies and they charge for parking. I have toured both Oceanaire and Turtle Cay many years ago when each was new but never stayed in either.

I stayed in the Atrium once years ago and I didn't like it because it was very dark but I know it has been refurbished twice since then so it might be better.

When you are trying to stay in season, it is more a matter of taking what you can get and learning to live with it rather than having your choice and picking the best one. If you are going to be picky enough to say that I would rather take nothing than take x place that usually means taking nothing.

Polly Metallic

Official TUG Pool Recruiter
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just put in a request with II that included Ocean Beach Club and Oceanaire. This morning we were confirmed to Ocean Beach Club for June 4th. We stayed there once years ago when it was new. Reviews are not so good now, but it’s a good exchange on short notice, so we plan to enjoy ourselves even if everything isn’t perfect.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're staying at Four Sails in a couple of weeks, through an RCI exchange. We've never been to Virginia Beach, but we chose it based on pretty good reviews.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
I feel the last week in May starts the beach high demand season and the last week in August ends the beach high demand season. Only because most public schools system on the East coast starts their school sessions after the Labor Day holiday weekend. IMHO
For many years now most schools start their fall semesters in Aug. I know that VA, NC & SC do. Not sure about the others

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
For many years now most schools start their fall semesters in Aug. I know that VA, NC & SC do. Not sure about the others
NJ, NY, and CT still tend to start after Labor Day. But Week 34 is still lower demand than the rest of the summer because people go home to get ready for the school year.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maryland goes back and forth. For years through about 2000, schools started after Labor day. Then for about 15 years they started the last full week in August. Then to help the beach businesses the governor mandated after labor day which lasted maybe 2 years before it went back to counties could decide and I think we are back this year to starting the week before labor day. Between colleges, and private schools and different calendars Memorial day- Labor day is fairly high demand but the first 2 weeks in June and the last 2 weeks in August aren't peek, peek times.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're at Four Sails this week and we are very pleased. Direct oceanfront with an amazing view! We were chatting with some owners and they said there are very, very few 2brs. Our 1br is small but fine for two adults and maybe one child. Kitchen is small but has a full-size fridge, sink, two-burner stove, and 18" dishwasher. Big balcony that can be accessed from the living room or the bedroom. Big jacuzzi in bathroom. Very clean and comfortable. We will definitely come back for another visit sometime.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Landings
We are staying at the Boardwalk Resorts and Villas 1 bedroom ocean front. Resort is nice. Curious what you all make of this? Interval listed a resort fee of $14.95/night on the exchange confirmation. We were charged $25/night as we were told that the rate had gone up even if it wasn't reflected on the confirmation at the time of exchange. I was a bit surprised by this, but we didn't really have a choice to pay it and I didn't think it was fair to get into an argument with the front desk person. The manager didn't come out and talk to us, just told the front desk agent that we had to pay the current rate. All the staff have been really nice. I'm wondering if this is coming from HGV and the staff don't really have any say in the matter. Thoughts?

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
We are staying at the Boardwalk Resorts and Villas 1 bedroom ocean front. Resort is nice. Curious what you all make of this? Interval listed a resort fee of $14.95/night on the exchange confirmation. We were charged $25/night as we were told that the rate had gone up even if it wasn't reflected on the confirmation at the time of exchange. I was a bit surprised by this, but we didn't really have a choice to pay it and I didn't think it was fair to get into an argument with the front desk person. The manager didn't come out and talk to us, just told the front desk agent that we had to pay the current rate. All the staff have been really nice. I'm wondering if this is coming from HGV and the staff don't really have any say in the matter. Thoughts?
I would likely give II a call while I am there on property.

Polly Metallic

Official TUG Pool Recruiter
TUG Member
Reaction score
My confirmation to a sister resort notes the new $25 fee. I’m pretty sure you’re stuck with it.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This fee does include parking correct. Daliy parking in VB, is very hing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Landings
This fee does include parking correct. Daliy parking in VB, is very h8gh.

Yes, it includes parking. We have never actually paid for parking in VA Beach in the 6 or 7 years we have gone. Most hotels in VA Beach don't actually charge for parking. We have historically stayed at Marriott and IHG properties.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, it includes parking. We have never actually paid for parking in VA Beach in the 6 or 7 years we have gone. Most hotels in VA Beach don't actually charge for parking. We have historically stayed at Marriott and IHG properties.
The hilton/ former diamond/former gold key have always charged exchangers around $14 for parking per day at at least oceanair and Ocean Beach club. At their other 3 resorts I believe parking was not extra. I saw on an owners site that they use to waive that fee for owners exchanging back in (II gives priority so you off season owners could likely trade up through II) but as of this year, if you exchange through II and not using points or their own exchange platform, the parking and resort fee applies.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Landings
The hilton/ former diamond/former gold key have always charged exchangers around $14 for parking per day at at least oceanair and Ocean Beach club. At their other 3 resorts I believe parking was not extra. I saw on an owners site that they use to waive that fee for owners exchanging back in (II gives priority so you off season owners could likely trade up through II) but as of this year, if you exchange through II and not using points or their own exchange platform, the parking and resort fee applies.

I think there are 3 issues going on.

1. The general issue of resort fees, which are getting a lot of bad press. I also think that people that aren't parking there shouldn't have to pay. We've taken the train/bus from VA Beach before.

2. Should people exchanging into a unit via II pay any resort fee or a higher resort fee than the owners would have to pay. If the owner's don't pay a resort fee, I don't think II exchanges should be charged the resort fee since the point of the exchange is that I paid a maintenance charge somewhere and someone else paid a maintenance charge somewhere, and we are trading. It seems that people that trade via II are paying for charges that the other owners have already paid for. Where is this money going?

3. Ignoring the notes above, if there is a resort fee listed on the II Exchange Confirmation, can timeshares decide to just change the price at any given time and then retroactively apply that to historical reservations. This point was what I was trying to figure out.