• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to make of the Interval International Timeshare Options for Virginia Beach

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
We are staying at the Boardwalk Resorts and Villas 1 bedroom ocean front. Resort is nice. Curious what you all make of this? Interval listed a resort fee of $14.95/night on the exchange confirmation. We were charged $25/night as we were told that the rate had gone up even if it wasn't reflected on the confirmation at the time of exchange. I was a bit surprised by this, but we didn't really have a choice to pay it and I didn't think it was fair to get into an argument with the front desk person. The manager didn't come out and talk to us, just told the front desk agent that we had to pay the current rate. All the staff have been really nice. I'm wondering if this is coming from HGV and the staff don't really have any say in the matter. Thoughts?
Complain to Marc the TUG interval rep. email to tugmembers@intervalintl.com It probably won't get you any money back but it is more likely to get the important advisement pages updated for that resort than anything else you could do which would help out other members looking to exchange in.
I looked at all of the other former gold key resorts in Virginia beach and they all now list the $25 per day resort fee except Boardwalk Resort and Villas which still list the $14. The weird thing is that although they all have the same management (now Hilton) the info about resort fees list different dates when the fee was increased to $25 or doesn't mention a date at all.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Where the former Gold Key Resorts ever updated by the original owner before Diamond International acquired these resorts in Virginia Beach, Virginia?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Landings
Where the former Gold Key Resorts ever updated by the original owner before Diamond International acquired these resorts in Virginia Beach, Virginia?

No idea. However, HGV has bought Diamond International in 2021 and it appears that where we stayed, Boardwalk Resort and Villas, was updated at least partially. Some things were still old, but the unit was in overall good condition.

captrags

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are originally Gold Key, Diamond owners and I guess now HGV. We own deeded weeks in VB and still trade through II into Virginia Beach and other locations. We have never paid for parking or resort fees when we go there. Usually put a charge on room in case you charge anything to the room etc but that comes off. Headed there next week and don't expect to pay then. Love it there at Ocean Beach Club and Oceanaire.

captrags

TUG Member
Reaction score
So a follow up to my earlier post. We stayed at Ocean Beach Club from June 17-24th. We did an exchange thru Interval International. As I stated before we never had to pay any resort fees when we booked thru II. Upon check in we were notified of a $25 Daily resort fee. I asked why because we never had a resort fee before. The front desk stated as of November 2022 the fee was implemented by Hilton Grand Vacations. Here's what the fee covers per the envelope our room keys came in. Internet, Xbox Games, Self parking, Fitness Classes, Resort activities, Adult and kids craft classes, and local Dinning discounts. So you have to agree to them upon checkin. upon check out they emailed us a receipt which also has a $3.75 Daily Tax on it. Anyone else have any info on this? We have been Owners for 19 Years in Virginia Beach. (Gold Key, Diamond and now HGV).

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
So a follow up to my earlier post. We stayed at Ocean Beach Club from June 17-24th. We did an exchange thru Interval International. As I stated before we never had to pay any resort fees when we booked thru II. Upon check in we were notified of a $25 Daily resort fee. I asked why because we never had a resort fee before. The front desk stated as of November 2022 the fee was implemented by Hilton Grand Vacations. Here's what the fee covers per the envelope our room keys came in. Internet, Xbox Games, Self parking, Fitness Classes, Resort activities, Adult and kids craft classes, and local Dinning discounts. So you have to agree to them upon checkin. upon check out they emailed us a receipt which also has a $3.75 Daily Tax on it. Anyone else have any info on this? We have been Owners for 19 Years in Virginia Beach. (Gold Key, Diamond and now HGV).
As an owner you can complain to owners services but it seems like they are enforcing the resort fee and the fee is listed in II when you exchange in so if the resort will not back down you have to figure the resort fee into your decision on whether to exchange in through II or not. They want to discourage you from using II and giving the exchange fee to II. They want to encourage owners to use xchange and I believe they do not charge when staying on those exchanges, but you would want to reconfirm about that. And yes the government taxes the resort fees. The other person posting on this topic was staying at a resort that still listed the fee at $14 and was reimbursed the difference between the current fee.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Landings
As an owner you can complain to owners services but it seems like they are enforcing the resort fee and the fee is listed in II when you exchange in so if the resort will not back down you have to figure the resort fee into your decision on whether to exchange in through II or not. They want to discourage you from using II and giving the exchange fee to II. They want to encourage owners to use xchange and I believe they do not charge when staying on those exchanges, but you would want to reconfirm about that. And yes the government taxes the resort fees. The other person posting on this topic was staying at a resort that still listed the fee at $14 and was reimbursed the difference between the current fee.

I think this is a massive mistake by HGV to charge II trades or other timeshare trades a resort fee. Timeshares are built upon a certain level of trust, which the industry isn't really known for (personally, my parents have had private timeshares in FL since the 70s that have been great, but we know that the larger companies often try to sell too much to people that have no business buying timeshare). I can't get my head around how HGV would want to charge people trading in something that the other owners have already paid for. This seems like a huge miss by HGV and very much short sited.

Long term, I would like to see II require timeshares that want to participate with II to stop allowing resort fees to be charged unless it is also charged to the owners of the timeshare that did the deposit. This would be much more equitable.

Last edited:

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
The horse has left the barn on this one. Small chance that government does something about it. Factoring it in as a cost of doing business is how the cookie crumbles for now.

I think this is a massive mistake by HGV to charge II trades or other timeshare trades a resort fee. Timeshares are built upon a certain level of trust, which the industry isn't really known for (personally, my parents have had private timeshares in FL since the 70s that have been great, but we know that the larger companies often try to sell too much to people that have no business buying timeshare). I can't get my head around how HGV would want to charge people trading in something that the other owners have already paid for. This seems like a huge miss by HGV and very much short sited.

Long term, I would like to see II require timeshares that want to participate with II to stop allowing resort fees to be charged unless it is also charged to the owners of the timeshare that did the deposit. This would be much more equitable.

Dilarm

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham homeowner points
We're staying at Four Sails in a couple of weeks, through an RCI exchange. We've never been to Virginia Beach, but we chose it based on pretty good reviews.
I loved all my stays at Four Sails. Great location