• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to Expect at Ko Olina in the Future

Werner Weiss

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club owners (and potential owners and exchangers in future) might be interested in two articles that I wrote for my website:

Disney Goes Hawaiian, Part 1: What to Expect from Disney at Ko Olina

On October 3, 2007, Disney announced plans build an 800-unit resort on a prime 21-acre oceanfront site at Ko Olina, with the opening scheduled for 2011.​

Disney Goes Hawaiian, Part 2: What not to Expect from Disney at Ko Olina

After two big announcements from Disney in 2007, the Internet was abuzz with the conclusion that Disney Cruise Line was likely to base a cruise ship at Ko Olina beginning in 2011 or 2012.​

pharmgirl

Reaction score
thanks for the links

is there any construction stating on the project?

Werner Weiss

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's no construction yet. Groundbreaking was planned for 2008, but they're running out of time. The planned completion date is 2011.

I'd like to think that the economy will be much better in 2011, and that starting construction now would be smart. It would allow Disney to find good contractors who are hungry for work.

I'm not sure how the current economic crisis will change the timing. Unless Disney can finance their whole Ko Olina project internally, Disney would need to deal with the current credit crunch.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Werner,

What a great article! Nice Job!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I'd like to think that the economy will be much better in 2011, and that starting construction now would be smart. It would allow Disney to find good contractors who are hungry for work.

Even if they could get a contractor, they may not be able to get hold of the cash needed. Even if they had credit lined up, it may no longer be available. There may be more trouble ahead for this resort, just as has been reported about the Marriott property at KoOlina.

jmatias

TUG Member
Reaction score
Enjoyed your articles, Werner.

I am one kamaaina that is eagerly awaiting the Disney resort at Koolina.

Aloha,
Jen

Werner Weiss

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even if they could get a contractor, they may not be able to get hold of the cash needed. Even if they had credit lined up, it may no longer be available. There may be more trouble ahead for this resort, just as has been reported about the Marriott property at KoOlina.
I agree.

That's why I wrote, "Unless Disney can finance their whole Ko Olina project internally, Disney would need to deal with the current credit crunch."

I think the project will be delayed, but I have no idea for how long. Ideally for Disney, they'll be ready to begin sales when the economy is looking much better.

Last edited:

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO
Werner, some very nice articles.

I think that Marriott would welcome Disney's presence in Hawaii as they bring a good cache along with them and this can only help enhance the immediate area. Of course it takes big bucks ( and some behind the scenes politicing ) to get something like this off the ground. The unfortunate thing for both Disney and Marriott is the rancid economy and drying up of financing for these sort of projects. But like anything in life, timing is everything, and at the moment, the time ain't right. The good news is that big companies can most usually weather out bad times and it comes down to how slowly/quickly this economic maelstorm abates.

Actually your articles raise an interesting point regarding cruise lines which are fiercely competitive and have huge start up costs in those expensive ships alonog with some razor thin profit lines. In this economy, I'd expect the (fuel-cost sensitive ) cruise lines to fare far worse than traditional hotelilers or integrated destination companies such as the travel side of Disney which dabbles in timeshare while making their money from theme parks and associated accomodations and Marriott which works from the accomodation and timeshare side of the game. I'd guess that the fixed costs of the former are less controllable than what Marriott and Disney deal with. These are some very interesting times in terms of discretionary travel decisions/choices. I think that Marriott and Disney are better positioned to weather out the storm than the cruise companies who can dock their ship but do little else.

Once again, nice articles which are thought provoking.

Barry

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
we were at Ko'Olina late May and management told us of the announcement from Disney but were VERY careful not to over-commit. There have been several such announcements in the past that never materialized.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
we were at Ko'Olina late May and management told us of the announcement from Disney but were VERY careful not to over-commit. There have been several such announcements in the past that never materialized.

One of these announcments by Disney was a DVC where Marriotts Newport Coast sits right now.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Interesting articles, esp. the cruise discussion. We were passengers on the "Shame" of Aloha during its inaugural season in 2004 and I can tell you first hand that the issues brought up were not exaggerated. From what I understand it has not improved substantially.

It is very unfortunate that another line won't try to make a go of it there, because theoretically it is an amazing way to see multiple islands on one trip, and a one week stay at Ko'Olina or any of the other resorts and a one week cruise would truly be an ideal vacation.

Our family had a wonderful time despite the cruise; as a way to see Hawaii it is great but as a cruise vacation it is terrible.