• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to do with value of cancelled ticket

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
United lets you keep the value of your cancelled ticket but the penalty to rebook is $200, which is more expensive than the ticket. What should I do with the value of the ticket that they let me keep? Do people just really not use the credit. Seems like a waste. Trying to figure a way around the penalty. No special circumstances.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We only had this situation come up one time on SkyBus years ago. We were willing to just let the ticket go to waste. No sense spending $200 to save $150 in credit. There is really no way around these penalties unless you can get a rep to waive it for you. Chances of that happening these days are slim to none.

Back on that SkyBus ticket for us, SkyBus ended up declaring bankruptcy before we flew. We filed a claim with our credit card (based on SkyBus's recommendation) and received a full refund. So we ended up getting the refund in the end anyway.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm curious: How did you score a ticket for less than $200?
In any event, if the value of the ticket is less than the cost of it's use, toss it.

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
google flights lets you know the lowest fare. Also, I learned from past experience to break up flights into one way trips instead of round trip, just in case there is a change of plans (which happened in this case).

I would rather have them fly empty planes than have United sell my $185 seat to someone else and profit from my change of plans.:p

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I would rather have them fly empty planes than have United sell my $185 seat to someone else and profit from my change of plans.:p

United will most likely sell that seat even if you do nothing. Airlines always overbook flights, so when you are a no-show for your seat, it will be sold to the next person on the list.

Since the value of your ticket is less than the change fee, you just have to write that one off.

Kurt

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons to fly Southwest whenever possible.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can always buy a refundable ticket but never for less than $200. You get what you pay for. It's tough to complain when the ticket is technically "non-refundable".

I agree on using SW which doesn't charge change fees.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I agree on using SW which doesn't charge change fees.

They also allow the ticket holder to use the credit of the ticket price for up to one year.....from the date the ticket was purchased NOT the date of the flight.