• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 26 years!

    Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $14,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

    Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $14 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

    Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What To Do With Christmas Week In Maui?

sdtugger

Guest
Joined
Jan 19, 2006
Messages
481
Reaction score
15
Points
178
I have two units booked for Christmas week in Maui. I love these units, although I was trying to rent one out this year! Regardless, it appears that the governor of Hawaii will extend the 14 day quarantine and there is definitely no guarantee that either I or a renter will be able to use either unit at Christmas.

So, I am assessing my options. One unit is part of the destination points and the other is not.

Option 1: Roll the dice and see if the state figures out how to open for Christmas. Of course, the downside is that if the state doesn't reopen, I could end up with a late deposit into II at best. Plus, for the unenrolled week, I'd need to reactivate or open a separate II account. This is painful for a week that should bring peak rent in normal years and which brings me so much joy to use myself. The possible upside is of course getting a good rental and enjoying the unit.

Option 2: Prior to the 60 day mark deposit the unit into II. It is painful to deposit such valuable units into II. I do recognize that I am not alone and, in fact, I'm still trying to use two weeks that had to be cancelled from earlier this year. But, Christmas in Maui into II is definitely my most painful potential move. I would also have to reopen or open a non-destination point II account and pay all the fees. One of my questions is whether these weeks would have much trade power in II were I to deposit them at 61 days? I'd probably split them into 1 bedroom and studio halves. Any idea if they would have much trade power with such a late deposit date? I also wonder if there is a chance that II might refuse to take them? Presumably the resort would be open at least to locals. But, there would certainly be much less demand without tourists.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this dilemma. I have about a month to decide. But, with the lack of a plan from the state, I suspect I may not know much more in a month. Thanks!
 

davidvel

TUG Member
Joined
May 9, 2008
Messages
4,020
Reaction score
1,373
Points
398
Location
No. Cty. San Diego
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
If you end up depositing, I'd definitely lock them off. The rest of the questions, I'll defer to others.
 

wjarcher

TUG Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2019
Messages
36
Reaction score
8
Points
58
Location
Pacific NW
Resorts Owned
WKOVRN, MKO, WLR, SVV, SDO
If you price it low enough, you might be able to rent the units out. You can compare the value of what you can trade for with how much you can get from renting them out.

I am in similar situation, but I own Westin kanaapali and I plan to either use the weeks or cancel at the last minute for restricted points. Renting is too much of a hassle for me especially considering the unknowns.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
 

CPNY

TUG Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2019
Messages
3,653
Reaction score
1,669
Points
249
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West
SVV - Bella
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I have two units booked for Christmas week in Maui. I love these units, although I was trying to rent one out this year! Regardless, it appears that the governor of Hawaii will extend the 14 day quarantine and there is definitely no guarantee that either I or a renter will be able to use either unit at Christmas.

So, I am assessing my options. One unit is part of the destination points and the other is not.

Option 1: Roll the dice and see if the state figures out how to open for Christmas. Of course, the downside is that if the state doesn't reopen, I could end up with a late deposit into II at best. Plus, for the unenrolled week, I'd need to reactivate or open a separate II account. This is painful for a week that should bring peak rent in normal years and which brings me so much joy to use myself. The possible upside is of course getting a good rental and enjoying the unit.

Option 2: Prior to the 60 day mark deposit the unit into II. It is painful to deposit such valuable units into II. I do recognize that I am not alone and, in fact, I'm still trying to use two weeks that had to be cancelled from earlier this year. But, Christmas in Maui into II is definitely my most painful potential move. I would also have to reopen or open a non-destination point II account and pay all the fees. One of my questions is whether these weeks would have much trade power in II were I to deposit them at 61 days? I'd probably split them into 1 bedroom and studio halves. Any idea if they would have much trade power with such a late deposit date? I also wonder if there is a chance that II might refuse to take them? Presumably the resort would be open at least to locals. But, there would certainly be much less demand without tourists.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this dilemma. I have about a month to decide. But, with the lack of a plan from the state, I suspect I may not know much more in a month. Thanks!
Cancel. Ige isn’t opening until 2021 most likely.
 

ljmiii

TUG Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2008
Messages
968
Reaction score
384
Points
273
Location
NY, NY
Over in the Hawaii forums are two threads tracking the quarantine. I would be very surprised if Hawaii wasn't open to non-quarantine travel by December 1st. But it would likely require you to have PCR test results within 72 hours...which is currently an issue in many mainland locations.
 
Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2019
Messages
3,653
Reaction score
1,669
Points
249
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West
SVV - Bella
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I can’t cancel. These are two weeks that I own and have reserved for the last week of my 2020 season.
So they will go unused? Deposit them in interval at the very last minute then. I can’t see hawaii opening by then.
 

CPNY

TUG Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2019
Messages
3,653
Reaction score
1,669
Points
249
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West
SVV - Bella
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Interval will not let you deposit them.
Really?? What’s Marriott’s policy on it then? That’s it? Lose them? Or were they booked through interval as an exchange already
 

sdtugger

Guest
Joined
Jan 19, 2006
Messages
481
Reaction score
15
Points
178
I guess my two key questions are:

1. Can II refuse a deposit at more than 60 days out under these circumstances? The resort would be open at least for locals.

2. If I deposit at 61 days out, would the deposits have any trade power?

The rest of the situation is really more of a guessing game on whether the 14 day quarantine will be lifted by Christmas. The problem is that the date for lifting the quarantine has been extended so many times that it is basically impossible to know if it will happen this time or not. Makes strategizing this challenging.

Thanks for any thoughts.
 

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2005
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
396
Points
293
Location
San Antonio, TX
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club
MOC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Vail Streamside Birch
You do not have to deposit. You could stay there even under quarantine, i.e., you own your week, unless restricted by the county or state like was done on the Big Island.

That said, be sure MOC isn’t on their list of resorts not being accepted for certain dates.
 

Dean

TUG Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
6,048
Reaction score
1,309
Points
448
I guess my two key questions are:

1. Can II refuse a deposit at more than 60 days out under these circumstances? The resort would be open at least for locals.

2. If I deposit at 61 days out, would the deposits have any trade power?

The rest of the situation is really more of a guessing game on whether the 14 day quarantine will be lifted by Christmas. The problem is that the date for lifting the quarantine has been extended so many times that it is basically impossible to know if it will happen this time or not. Makes strategizing this challenging.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Yes they can decline the deposits but likely wouldn't if the resort is open. It might be a reason to move now rather than waiting until 61 days out though. Definitely split them if you can, you may not be able to at this point. Deposit the one that's enrolled into the corporate account and see if II will let you deposit the other into that account too though likely they will not thus you'd need to resurrect the paid account to deposit. They should have good trade power so that should help ease the pains somewhat. In the current situation I see no reason to wait unless you're going to travel there yourself. They'll likely have more value to you as an exchange than you could get in rental given the specifics. Either way I know it's a bitter pill to swallow.
 

Theiggy

TUG Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2018
Messages
912
Reaction score
524
Points
153
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
To add on here there was a time where II wasn’t taking deposits when things were shut down but I think now if the resort is technically open they should accept the weeks.

The trade power may be diminished, who knows but if you are going to lose the weeks altogether it’s still much better to deposit. Also don’t feel bad depositing such gems in II bc right now their value is not what it usually is. At the very least you will get a vacation out of it for your maintenance fee plus exchange fee.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

amy241

TUG Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2017
Messages
292
Reaction score
130
Points
104
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Really?? What’s Marriott’s policy on it then? That’s it? Lose them? Or were they booked through interval as an exchange already
I lost my Marriott Ko Olina 2020 week this year which went into II as a late deposit. We are all in the same boat.
 

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Joined
May 5, 2016
Messages
872
Reaction score
290
Points
123
:
I guess my two key questions are:

1. Can II refuse a deposit at more than 60 days out under these circumstances? The resort would be open at least for locals.

2. If I deposit at 61 days out, would the deposits have any trade power?

The rest of the situation is really more of a guessing game on whether the 14 day quarantine will be lifted by Christmas. The problem is that the date for lifting the quarantine has been extended so many times that it is basically impossible to know if it will happen this time or not. Makes strategizing this challenging.

Thanks for any thoughts.
The different circumstances are spelled out clearly on the MVC site if you log in and click on the covid 19 policy.

Currently the only resorts not being accepted for deposit are HI weeks through September 30th- but #4 below explains a week will be provided in Ii.
  • 3) Ownership Week(s) and My Resort IS Currently Eligible to Deposit with Interval International1
    • My Scheduled Arrival Date Is 60 Days or More from Date of Cancellation
      • If you have a floating ownership week, upon cancellation your ownership week will be returned to your account, without penalty, and may be used to make a future reservation, based on availability and subject to your resort's specific reservation rules. To submit a cancellation request for your existing week please submit your request via our contact form. For Owners of fixed ownership weeks please contact Owner Services via phone to review options.
      • If you don't plan to use your fixed or float ownership week at your home resort, you may deposit your week with Interval International, which will be eligible for travel up to 24 months after your deposited week. Initiate a deposit request with Interval International.
    • My Scheduled Arrival Date Is 59 Days to 14 Days from Date of Cancellation
      • While cancellations are not permitted, your fixed or float week can be deposited with Interval International for a Late Deposit. You will have two years from the check-out date of your deposited week to travel and can check availability up to 59 days before your desired arrival date. Initiate a late deposit request with Interval International.
    • My Scheduled Arrival Date Is Within the Next 14 Days from Date of Cancellation
  • (4) Ownership Week(s) and My Resort IS NOT Currently Eligible for Deposit with Interval International1
    • My Arrival Date is On or Before September 30, 2020
      • After submitting a cancellation form, you will receive an Interval International week that will be deposited into your Interval International account within 10 days for future use. The Interval International week will have a reduced exchange rate of US$99, will expire on December 16, 2021, and you must be a member of Interval International to use it. You are able to check availability up to 120 days prior to your desired arrival date.
    • My Arrival Date is After September 30, 2020
    • 1 Please be aware that as of July 1, 2020 many fixed/float ownership weeks are eligible to be deposited with Interval International; however, some may not be able to at this time due to the status of the resort. Review a list of those resort ownership weeks which ARE NOT currently eligible to deposit with Interval International.
As far as trading power I would say be sure to deposit more than 61 days out so you are not in flexchange and then place a request as far in advance as possible.
Nothing is normal in the world right now so I don’t think past experience really matters right now.

Good luck- stay well.
 
Last edited:

Dean

TUG Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
6,048
Reaction score
1,309
Points
448
Really?? What’s Marriott’s policy on it then? That’s it? Lose them? Or were they booked through interval as an exchange already
I think the policy is the normal cancelation rules of more than 60 days out but you'd have to reserve the same calendar year which would not help. They have made some arrangements with II for additional flexibility but in this case that wouldn't be necessary since it's more than 60 days out. No change to kick it down the road to next year directly with Marriott. Were this points there would be some additional options but given the date to take points on the one that's enrolled is long gone, that is not an option. So ultimately it's rent it, use it or deposit it with II (or an independent).
 

CPNY

TUG Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2019
Messages
3,653
Reaction score
1,669
Points
249
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West
SVV - Bella
Regal Vista at Massanutten
So ultimately it's rent it, use it or deposit it with II (or an independent).
That was my suggestion originally.... deposit it in interval, but they OP said they couldn’t deposit the week?
 

Dean

TUG Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
6,048
Reaction score
1,309
Points
448
That was my suggestion originally.... deposit it in interval, but they OP said they couldn’t deposit the week?
I think they were saying they couldn't cancel. I took that to mean they had no options if they did cancel. DaveGerm said II wouldn't take them which I have no knowledge if it's true. I know II refused resorts that were unavailable though I am unaware they are not taking Maui weeks at this time. Maybe DaveGerm has info we don't have.
 

sdtugger

Guest
Joined
Jan 19, 2006
Messages
481
Reaction score
15
Points
178
Well, the new October 15 date is an important development, maybe . . . .

I am going to try to rent the one unit for the next month. If it doesn’t rent, I will deposit at 61 days. I am hopeful that this one may actually stick.
 
Top