• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to do with an odd number of leftover staroptions?

mindy35

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've made some creative and not usual reservations this year and have some left over options that I don't know what to do with. If I pay the $$ to bank them, I'm afraid I will be in the same position next year (having an odd number of leftover staroptions). We have no other TimeShare capable travel plans for the year.
It's almost enough to transfer to Interval or convert to Starpoints but not but quite.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Banked options are good for 2 years. I have some banked options too that I probably won't use this year, but will need to next year. I usually use mine on a partial week around Thanksgiving or New Year's down in Palm Desert or Scottsdale.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You cannot deposit into II or exchange into Starpoints unless you have a full week that is left intact, or a complete portion of a lockoff.

Shirtman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar
Can you "rent" extra staroptions? I know I would like to add a few days to my week sometimes but I don't have staroptions.

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
Can you "rent" extra staroptions? I know I would like to add a few days to my week sometimes but I don't have staroptions.
You cannot rent SOs but you can add on "Hotel Inventory" to extend your stay. No guarantee you will be able to say in the same room. You can call 1-2 days before check-in and ask them to "back to back" your reservations in the same room; again no guarantees. It will not be cheap - Starwood is proud of their Hotel rooms. You might be able to get 4 nights - 5th night free! Again this is not always available.
Good Luck:thumbup:

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
You cannot rent SOs but you can add on "Hotel Inventory" to extend your stay. No guarantee you will be able to say in the same room. You can call 1-2 days before check-in and ask them to "back to back" your reservations in the same room; again no guarantees. It will not be cheap - Starwood is proud of their Hotel rooms. You might be able to get 4 nights - 5th night free! Again this is not always available.
Good Luck:thumbup:
Ifs hotel inventory an option for us folks who purchased resale?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Resale deeds cannot be converted to StarPoints (hotel points.)

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would be nice if Vistana allowed owners to "gift/rent" staroptions to other owners in the way Worldmark does. Alas, that is not about to happen... Love both these systems for different reasons.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Remember: when you roll over Staroptions to the next year, you have 2 years to use them. So Staroptions that you roll over in 2018 (by July 1) can be used in 2019 and 2020. You may find a use for them in 2020, even if you can't foresee a use for them in 2019.

maizeandblue

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have at least 25k leftover you could book a 1 bed or studio and deposit it with SFX.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have at least 25k leftover you could book a 1 bed or studio and deposit it with SFX.

I don't believe you can use a Star Option reservation for an exchange. It has to be a week you actually own.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Even with 2 years if it is a small amount of odd leftovers, you may want to just let it expire unless you have a specific plan to use them. The $99 banking fee certainly makes me have a definite plan for use.

mindy35

TUG Member
Reaction score

I did not know what SFX was so I googled it. I do not see a lot of positive reviews? I think they have an issue with low inventory when it's time for your exchange.