• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to do with 2018 Club Points

Les Sulgrove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The District
Las Palmeras
I currently have 9,440 2018 Club Points. What is the best thing to do with these points? If I save them for 2019, it appears that their use is somewhat limited. As they are currently in 2018 points, I cannot use them to book HGV for 2019 (it appears). Once they are converted to 2019, would I then be able to use them to book a 2019 Hilton Grand Vacation location ie: Las Vegas.. Really do not want to call Hilton as they will only want to have me come in and visit/aka upsell.

cindyc

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Kohala Suites, HGVC - Boulevard, HGV - Sedona Summit (deeded weeks), Sheraton Desert Oasis
You can deposit them in RCI.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
You can save them to 2019 and pay the fee. Then you will be able to use them for a 2019 reservation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Once they are converted to 2019, would I then be able to use them to book a 2019 Hilton Grand Vacation location

Save them to 2019. You will be able to book a reservation but they must be used in 2019. There will not be a requirement to attend an owner's update (aka. sales presentation). Save them this month for $15 reduce fee.

Les Sulgrove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The District
Las Palmeras
Or you can save them with HGVC for 2019, and still use them in 2019 for the full value
Just to be clear.. if I save them to HGVC for 2019, they will be fully useable for HGVC reservations? The reason I ask this, is that I was pretending to make a 2019 reservation and the 2018 points were not available... which by the way it sounds is because they are still in 2018.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
if I save them to HGVC for 2019, they will be fully useable for HGVC reservations? The reason I ask this, is that I was pretending to make a 2019 reservation and the 2018 points were not available...

Yes, you must save the 2018 first to 2019. Then when you make a 2019 club (Not Home week reservation) reservation, it will pull from your saved points first. If you don't save them first a 2019 club reservation will pull only from 2019 points.

Sky313

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear.. if I save them to HGVC for 2019, they will be fully useable for HGVC reservations? The reason I ask this, is that I was pretending to make a 2019 reservation and the 2018 points were not available... which by the way it sounds is because they are still in 2018.
Yes. U need to save them first

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
btw, as some have stated, it is better to be a borrower (free to borrower) than a saver (fee to save).

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
btw, as some have stated, it is better to be a borrower (free to borrower) than a saver (fee to save).

Sometimes that is not always possible, such as the time we had to use up 12,400 Bonus Points and 7,000 VIP points. We had to save some of our regular points to the next year.

So the corollary to the maxim quoted by GT75 above, is that it is better to be a saver (in spite of the fee) or depositor (to RCI, also for a fee), than a loser! :D

Les Sulgrove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The District
Las Palmeras
Yes, you must save the 2018 first to 2019. Then when you make a 2019 club (Not Home week reservation) reservation, it will pull from your saved points first. If you don't save them first a 2019 club reservation will pull only from 2019 points.
Thank you!!!

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Thank you!!!

You are welcome and welcome to TUG. We have a great group of HGVC TUG users that are willing to share their knowledge and experience. I personally have learned a lot from them in both how to use the HGVC system most effectively and to save money.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
I saved almost 4,000 2018 points into 2019, and it turns out I found some nights in 2018 that I didn't think I would find for 3,150 points. So I booked it by using my saved 2019 points last night. I also plan to use the remaining few hundred points that I already saved to book something with RCI this year (for next year), so in retrospect, I wasted my money saving my points. Oh well. Live and learn.

Les Sulgrove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The District
Las Palmeras
One last question in this thread.. what is the difference between "By Hilton Club Points" and "ClubPoints"

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
what is the difference between "By Hilton Club Points" and "ClubPoints"

The original club only had HGVC club points of which Las Palmeras is included in. Then HGV started adding these urban destinations of which The District is part of and this is "by Hilton Club". So it is a club within a club. I don't own any "by Hilton Club" properties. Anyways, the rules for the two clubs hince points are different. We have a Sticky which tries to help explain the difference in the two clubs - here (look at post 2 & 3).

I hope that helps.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Do you have bonus points also? These have an expiration date.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I saved almost 4,000 2018 points into 2019, and it turns out I found some nights in 2018 that I didn't think I would find for 3,150 points. So I booked it by using my saved 2019 points last night. I also plan to use the remaining few hundred points that I already saved to book something with RCI this year (for next year), so in retrospect, I wasted my money saving my points. Oh well. Live and learn.

Lucky you were able to find something, but if indeed you have to cancel your points will go back into 2019 expiration. So yes indeed in this situation you wasted your money. luckily the save fee is not so bad and I believe you did save with the October discount price in effect, so that helps too. It is always good to know how to use what you own, so consider the fee payment for lessons.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I currently have 9,440 2018 Club Points. What is the best thing to do with these points? If I save them for 2019, it appears that their use is somewhat limited. As they are currently in 2018 points, I cannot use them to book HGV for 2019 (it appears). Once they are converted to 2019, would I then be able to use them to book a 2019 Hilton Grand Vacation location ie: Las Vegas.. Really do not want to call Hilton as they will only want to have me come in and visit/aka upsell.

I need to question your comment "If I save them for 2019, it appears that their use is somewhat limited". The BEST use of HGVC points is at HGVC resorts. The next best is an RCI reservation. Both of which can be done with saved points. Other uses which may be limited with saved points are not the best use of points, and in my opinion not worth considering. So If that is limiting, then I like the limits.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Lucky you were able to find something, but if indeed you have to cancel your points will go back into 2019 expiration. So yes indeed in this situation you wasted your money. luckily the save fee is not so bad and I believe you did save with the October discount price in effect, so that helps too. It is always good to know how to use what you own, so consider the fee payment for lessons.

Yes, the fee wasn't awful. I'll just eat less during my next trip ;). I was looking at W57 for a weekend in December, and there was no availability showing for months. So I gave up thinking about it and saved the points. Then I happened to glance at the website the other night and there it was. Of course, if I hadn't saved the points, the nights wouldn't have been there, and then I would have saved them anyway, with the $15 discount instead of the $25 discount. So I guess I shouldn't jump at the silly saving points discount next time. I didn't know they would offer another discount right after that first one expired.